Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we end up with one of FOS/Smillie/Jagga with our first pick

Then I really hope we can get both of Hotton and Travaglia, two evasive players with speed and a good disposal/kick.

Then draft one or two KPFs in Armstrong/Shanahan/Faull/J Whitlock/Simms/Gerreyn

What’s the deal with the concern re Draper wanting to return to SA.
Has that been reported?
Honestly if he’s the best player I wouldn’t think twice about picking him. How often do SA kids want to return home! the place is what an hours flight away.
Only caution, no real suggestion at this stage

It’s all relative and depends on the depth. If there is genuinely 7-8 x players with claims on #1 as there seems to be at the moment, then wouldn’t 7 and 10 be much better than #1?

For example Rowell was a clear #1. That same draft Freo got Young and Serong at 7 and 8. Imagine Freo had #1 and traded it for 7 and 8? Genius move as Serong and Young are arguably both superior to Rowell … and Rowell was a clear #1!

There’s an easy way to analyse this. Right this very second with all we know, who would you choose?

1. Josh Smilie (touted 1)

Or

2. Jagga Smith (6) and Armstrong (14)

Or

3. Luke Trainor (7) and Sid Draper (9)

People get too caught up in the romance of pick #1.

Right this second are you taking Smilie alone, or option 2 or 3? As that’s the reality of the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Bit to play out.

1. Battle compo. He seems gone and we seem to be getting prepped by the media that it will be band 1 so that will push both picks back.

2. Draper, FOS and Lalor have missed so much footy but are back playing now. These guys could separate themselves.

3. Personally don't think there is 7 or 8. Probably 4 or 5. Draper, Smillie, FOS, Smith and maybe Trainor (if you're trading down with GC it seems he will be pick 1)

If you could guarantee the players lasting to those picks you'd take option 2 or 3 at this point.

Has that been reported?
Honestly if he’s the best player I wouldn’t think twice about picking him. How often do SA kids want to return home! the place is what an hours flight away.
Don't think there are any go home concerns, but Adelaide are campaigners about chasing SA talent. Offer way overs to lure them home or unsettle a player

Has that been reported?
I mean literally the last SA #1 pick downed tools 😆

Only caution, no real suggestion at this stage
I can’t remember any of our SA or WA players being homesick.
Bakes probably the first to want to return.

I think most kids get to Melbourne and love it . Playing for a big club on the G and training right next to the home of football, it’s football heaven

I can’t remember any of our SA or WA players being homesick.
Bakes probably the first to want to return.

I think most kids get to Melbourne and love it . Playing for a big club on the G and training right next to the home of football, it’s football heaven
And I don’t even reckon Bakes really wanted to return
Just got an offer $$$ he couldn’t refuse

Cal Twomey suggested we could trade Baker and Bolton to Fremantle for picks 6, 12, 15, and then Dan Rioli to Gold Coast for picks 7 and 10 (we'd likely have to give a sweetener back the other way).

How would people feel about this? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Rocking up to the draft with 1, 6, 7, 10, 12, 15 plus possibly a couple of second rounders, that's a crazy start to a rebuild.
That's a full blown rebuild in the 1 draft

It’s all relative and depends on the depth. If there is genuinely 7-8 x players with claims on #1 as there seems to be at the moment, then wouldn’t 7 and 10 be much better than #1?

For example Rowell was a clear #1. That same draft Freo got Young and Serong at 7 and 8. Imagine Freo had #1 and traded it for 7 and 8? Genius move as Serong and Young are arguably both superior to Rowell … and Rowell was a clear #1!

There’s an easy way to analyse this. Right this very second with all we know, who would you choose?

1. Josh Smilie (touted 1)

Or

2. Jagga Smith (6) and Armstrong (14)

Or

3. Luke Trainor (7) and Sid Draper (9)

People get too caught up in the romance of pick #1.

Right this second are you taking Smilie alone, or option 2 or 3? As that’s the reality of the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You’d never get Draper at 9. Talk reality not bullshite.

And I don’t even reckon Bakes really wanted to return
Just got an offer $$$ he couldn’t refuse
Bakes is very tight with Graham, Shorty and a couple of others.
But you can understand him going at his age, with a once in a career offer and whatever other perks thrown in.
Anyway in this very deep draft we could end up being the beneficiaries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But you can understand him going at his age, with a once in a career offer and whatever other perks thrown in.
Yeah 100%
He be crazy not to accept
It’s gonna be a win win for Bakes and Richmond

Think the only loser is who gets him for the price they paying 🤣

Good let’s give them Graham and Short also. LOL

Luke Jackson is the cautionary tale. JHF too, but Norf.
Yeah I was referring to us , but fair point.

The thing is though, Norf got a couple of early picks and a future pick as part of a convoluted deal.

Clubs deal in good faith these days ( maybe excluding the Bumbers) , you get fair compensation more often than not

Cal Twomey suggested we could trade Baker and Bolton to Fremantle for picks 6, 12, 15, and then Dan Rioli to Gold Coast for picks 7 and 10 (we'd likely have to give a sweetener back the other way).

How would people feel about this? I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Rocking up to the draft with 1, 6, 7, 10, 12, 15 plus possibly a couple of second rounders, that's a crazy start to a rebuild.
Confirmed Twomey is Mr Magic

Sid Draper was an unstoppable force in 2023. As a bottom-ager he achieved it all, claiming South Australia's MVP and All-Australian honours at the National Championships, winning the SANFL U18s premiership, and being named the Alan Stewart Medallist as best afield in the Panthers' triumph.

He also made his SANFL debut, was made a captain in the AFL Futures game before the Grand Final on the MCG, and was named to the coveted AFL Academy squad. He followed Harley Reid in being awarded the AFL Life Member's Scholarship to round out a year filled to the brim with accolades and success, all before he turned 18.

In stark contrast, 2024 has brought its weight in tribulations. The younger brother of 2021 draftee Arlo broke his leg in preseason and the shin fracture delayed his top-age campaign until May. Originally planning a season at SANFL-level alongside his brother, Draper was thrust straight into the national carnival - the most pivotal month of football on the calendar.

Amongst his challenges, the hallmarks of his game have never waivered. Draper is unabating in his pursuit of the football. With one-touch mastery and relentless physicality, he extracts the ball from contests and bursts forward of the stoppage with a wicked turn of pace.

Sid Draper representing South Australia at the U18 Championships. Photo by Sarah Reed/AFL Photos via Getty Images
Draper isn't made in the image of Scott Pendlebury, where time seems to slow and the path forward open up. He's more in tune with Patrick Dangerfield, a bundle of energy eager to explode forward at all times. Whether there's space to escape does not matter to the 18-year-old; he takes on opponents with reckless abandon and has no qualms in fighting tackles through pace or brawn.

With great expectation on SA's captain to carry his state through another carnival despite the interrupted lead-in, Draper put together another All-Australian campaign. He averaged 21 disposals, 3.8 clearances and 3.2 inside 50s as his under-siege state finished with a 1-3 record.

South Australia's 12-point triumph over the Allies was Draper's first full competitive hit out in eight months. That carnival block set him up to re-establish himself at league level with South Adelaide, and over the past three weeks he's rocked the SANFL.

Draper first dominated second-place Sturt with 23 touches and 11 tackles. He answered questions around his defensive work rate with a hard-nosed display as a pure midfielder in open age competition. On the other end, his elite agility and acceleration made him a nightmare to contain as the Panthers pushed the Double Blues. He backed it up the very next week with a best afield 29 disposals, nine clearances and 10 tackles against North Adelaide.

On Saturday the bottom-of-the-ladder Panthers finally notched their third win of the season, and a three-minute period of Draper brilliance proved pivotal. He notched two goal assists in quick succession out of the midfield before hitting the scoreboard himself, breaking the 50 metre line with a blistering run before converting truly with Port Adelaide's Ryan Burton left in his wake.

No one midfielder at the top of the 2024 draft board is the perfect prospect, no one has answered those questions as emphatically as Draper. At SANFL level he's shown insatiable appetite to chase, pressure and tackle, pacing his Panthers teammates with 7.7 tackles per game. Those third quarter exploits were done at half forward, proving his positional versatility and scoreboard impact against the bigger bodies.

Recruiters knew of his power at the coalface, his sticky one-touch hands and speed exiting congestion. They had stacks of evidence that Draper could flick beautifully weighted handballs amongst a sea of bodies and pinpoint leading forwards in space. He was a leader by action last year, and a captain by appointment this season.

He was the known commodity of his draft year, one of three bottom-agers awarded AA honours, and one of two to go back-to-back. But this Draper feels wholly new, invigorating a down-and-out Panthers side to its best form of the season through defensive tenacity and wilful attacking intent. No teenager is doing that quite like the Willunga phenom.

Draper has been thrown challenges at every juncture, but through it all he sits atop ESPN's AFL Draft power rankings for July. The dynamic on-baller thrived under the weight of expectation and overcame every obstacle in his way. Through persistence in the face of adversity Draper remains a very real chance to be the first name read out in November.

I think we end up with one of FOS/Smillie/Jagga with our first pick

Then I really hope we can get both of Hotton and Travaglia, two evasive players with speed and a good disposal/kick.

Then draft one or two KPFs in Armstrong/Shanahan/Faull/J Whitlock/Simms/Gerreyn
I wouldn't call Travaglia a good kick. Regardless, I think you're dreaming with that haul.

There looks like there is no clear number 1, if that is the case I think we should be leveraging our position a threatening taking Levi or Leonardo . We need there picks and this is the way we can get them as they would lose them anyway if we went through with our threat

Make it happen Blair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back