Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Jagga have that is superior to a fully fit FOS? From my very limited knowledge he’s not as explosive, not as skilled, not as big and nowhere near as good an overhead mark.

Is he a far better clearance player? Better decision maker? Or just a complete freak at finding the footy which puts him ahead?

These are genuine questions… i just hope Jagga doesn’t have the Jyhe Clark’s about him …

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What does Jagga have that is superior to a fit FOS - Current form at U18 and VFL levels. FOS has zero form and is a huge risk. Hindsight may favour FOS or another draftee but we are not the benefit of it. No matter who we select at pick one, Richmond will most likely be lambasted for the selection. FOS form this weekend for our VFL side may have a huge bearing on our first pick. I actually hope he is more effective than Jagga as then we’ll have a form line.

Last edited:
What does Jagga have that is superior to a fit FOS - Current form at U18 and VFL levels. FOS has zero form and is a huge risk. Hindsight may favour FOS or another draftee but we are not the benefit of it. No matter who we select at pick one, Richmond will most likely be lambasted for the selection. FOS form this weekend for our VFL side may have a huge bearing on our first pick. I actually hope he is more effective than Jagga as then we’ll have a form line.

Pick 1 is a poison chalice this year, with so many players to choose from. It's still great to have as it's nice to have the first crack at it, means we don't have to rely on who isn't picked but also there is more chance we don't pick the best player when looking back in years to come.

I think it's why it's so important the club gets its hands on multiple 1st rounders this year.

I want Bo Allan.

Don't forget Matt Clarke's in charge now.

If Langford's not available at 6 (Rioli trade) someone like Jagga, Smillie or Draper will be.

Those picks around 6 & 8 are going to be very good this year, as you say guys like Langford and Lalor should be available but if not then one of the big names will slide. Can't lose really.

I think with Dusty retiring (Thanks for the memories!!) and potentially Shai, we need to get Lalor and Hotton. We'll be losing 2 game winners and need to replace them. It will be hard for them to reach the same heights (Lalor has no chance of matching Dusty and thats not a knock on him), but we're losing 2 x factor forwards. Our small forwards have done well this year, I've been impressed, but I don't see them as 'match winners'.
I think Armstrong with a year or 2 being taught by Lynch is a good move too.

Those picks around 6 & 8 are going to be very good this year, as you say guys like Langford and Lalor should be available but if not then one of the big names will slide. Can't lose really.

Thats it. If it’s not Lalor and Langford it could be Smith, Smilie or FOS. Whatever happens at any point in the first round, we get amazing quality players.

Pull the trigger Blair. Bolton, Baker, Rioli, Graham, Short. All should go.

FOS was All Australian last year playing for Vic Country as an underage player. Jagga couldn't get a game and is also the oldest player in the draft

Pick 1 is a poison chalice this year, with so many players to choose from. It's still great to have as it's nice to have the first crack at it, means we don't have to rely on who isn't picked but also there is more chance we don't pick the best player when looking back in years to come.

I think it's why it's so important the club gets its hands on multiple 1st rounders this year.
Spot on.

FOS was All Australian last year playing for Vic Country as an underage player. Jagga couldn't get a game and is also the oldest player in the draft
U17 form yes! but form last year at champs was against a different set of U18 players. This years crop is better on average. He has no form against these U18 players and I stress U 18s. They have another year of development that FOS has basically missed due to injury.

This was very fun, maybe we don't get all 3 picks for Bolton and we also have the first two picks of the second round if Graham triggers band 3 compo

Using Squiggles projected ladder for the draft order

1st round

Richmond-Pick 1- Finn O’Sullivan

North- Pick 2- Luke Trainor
Eagles- Pick 3- Harvey Langford
Adelaide- Pick 4- Sid Draper
Brisbane- Pick 5- Levi Ashcroft (Bid)
Suns- Pick 6- Leo Lombard (Bid)
Saints- Pick 7- Josh Smillie
Richmond- Pick 8- Jagga Smith- Dan Rioli to GC
Melbourne- Pick 9- Sam Lalor
Richmond- Pick 10- Murphy Reid- Bolton to Freo
Essendon- Pick 11- Harry Armstrong
Essendon- Pick 12- Isaac Kako (Bid)
West Coast- Pick 13- Bo Allan- Barrass to Hawks
GWS- Pick 14- Xavier Lindsay
Carlton- Pick 15- Joe Berry
Richmond- Pick 16- Taj Hotton- Bolton to Freo
Bulldogs- Pick 17- Tobie Travaglia
Brisbane- Pick 18- Sam Marshall (Bid)
Geelong- Pick 19- Alixzander Tauru
Richmond- Pick 20- Jonty Faull- Bolton to Freo
Richmond- Pick 21- Cooper Hynes- Brisbane points swap

Carlton- Pick 22- Ben Camporeale (Bid)
Sydney- Pick 23- Jack Whitlock
Sydney- Pick 24- Matt Whitlock
don’t like any of those

it must also be said that he is risking his rankings by playing for our VFL side. If he has a poor game or games then you can pretty much put a line through him for pick 1. It will also be harder at VFL level to have an impact... Jagga racks up possessions but he isn't that damaging with the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said the Broad stuff was BS. Here you go. But then again, one poster did say i was full of myself. EAD FW.

Nice. Broad and Vlaustuin have both had good seasons, playing alongside some pretty raw backline partners. I’ve think they’ve held up really well considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it must also be said that he is risking his rankings by playing for our VFL side. If he has a poor game or games then you can pretty much put a line through him for pick 1. It will also be harder at VFL level to have an impact... Jagga racks up possessions but he isn't that damaging with the ball.
Jagga's first game was quite good from a metres gain perspective, his second game wasn't as good. I think it depends on his opponents and game experience. Jagga's choice to play VFL has been a good decision so far.

Nice. Broad and Vlaustuin have both had good seasons, playing alongside some pretty raw backline partners. I’ve think they’ve held up really well considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Going to need this backline experience so we aren't getting done by 100 every week

Our recruiters put years into these players, they definitely don't just recruit on this year's performance alone and would have a pretty strong database of past players of similar circumstances. This is the part of recruiting is nuffies have no idea about - how they account for mitigating factors that affect their U18 year and may or may not play a role once they are in an AFL system

Thats it. If it’s not Lalor and Langford it could be Smith, Smilie or FOS.
It won't be FOS. If we don't get him at 1 we don't get him.

U17 form yes! but form last year at champs was against a different set of U18 players. This years crop is better on average.
Last year's crop was better at the top end and he was one of them.

It won't be FOS. If we don't get him at 1 we don't get him.

Last year's crop was better at the top end and he was one of them.
Maybe FOS was number one last year but he’s missed a years development. I’m not advocating we don’t pick FOS, however, if he does not perform in the next couple of weeks I think any club would be reluctant to pick him at one.

Maybe FOS was number one last year but he’s missed a years development. I’m not advocating we don’t pick FOS, however, if he does not perform in the next couple of weeks I think any club would be reluctant to pick him at one.
Reid was number 1, Walter was number 2. FOS was next with McKercher.

The only rule in drafting is get the best player for your club's future. It would take balls if he doesn't perform, you're right. Let's see how he goes.

Reid was number 1, Walter was number 2. FOS was next with McKercher.

The only rule in drafting is get the best player for your club's future. It would take balls if he doesn't perform, you're right. Let's see how he goes.
I can see why Smille was ranked no.1 up until the Nationals. I watched the extended highlights of the AFL Academy v Western Bulldogs VFL game noting they are the best VFL team going this year. 15 of the top 20 picks were playing for the Academy and Smille looked a level above. Ran around with a level of arrogance that only the very best players ever do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back