Trade rumours involving Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

This from www.realfooty.theage.com.au - mentions all the trades we may possibly be involved in:

Dockers court Tarrant as Eagle talks splutter

Stephen Rielly and Jake Niall
October 12, 2006

FREMANTLE yesterday began courting Collingwood forward Chris Tarrant whose desire to play for its cross-town rival, West Coast, has been stymied by the Eagles' inability to come to terms with the Magpies.

Fremantle coach Chris Connolly flew into Melbourne yesterday for a late afternoon meeting with Tarrant that was also attended by assistant Mark Harvey and chief executive Cameron Schwab.

Tarrant did not give an indication to the Dockers that he is yet prepared to join them and last night West Coast remained his strong preference
, despite the apparent lack of progress on a deal between the Eagles and Collingwood.

Fremantle has its own issues should it need to satisfy the Magpies. Last night a deal to send Graham Polak to Richmond had also stalled and his manager, Paul Connors, also Tarrant's agent, was indicating to Fremantle that the 22-year-old was willing to run the gauntlet of the pre-season draft where Carlton and Essendon have the first two selections.

Richmond has offered an exchange of first-round picks with Fremantle for Polak — pick eight for pick 13 — but the Dockers are insisting on a second-round pick to be included. Shane Tuck, who had been linked to the Polak deal on Tuesday, was taken off the table yesterday.

Essendon defender Dean Solomon has begun to explore his options in the pre-season draft, with the likelihood of a deal with Fremantle unlikely to proceed while the Dons continue to ask for either a first-round selection or a swap of the 26-year-old and pick 20 for young Docker Marcus Drum.

Hawthorn and Sydney continued to stare at each other yesterday like grim-faced poker players determined to get their way over ruckman Peter Everitt.

While Sydney increased its bid with an offer of its second-round pick, selection 33, Hawthorn continued to insist on that pick plus Sydney's third-round one in exchange for Everitt and a fourth-round selection. The Swans baulked at that and Sydney coach Paul Roos flew home last night convinced that Everitt will have to make his way to them in the pre-season draft.

"I can guarantee, absolutely guarantee, that we won't be offering anything more. That's it," said Sydney national recruiting manager, Ricky Barham.

Chris Pelchen, Hawthorn general manager of personnel, said that the Hawks outlined to Sydney several weeks ago that a stand-alone second pick would not get the deal done.

"We haven't deviated from our position. A ruckman they (Sydney) are prepared to pay as much as $400,000 a season for two years is, in our opinion, worth more than a late second-round pick," Pelchen said.

The Hawks continue to be stymied by Carlton over Bret Thornton, with the Blues refusing to discuss the 22-year-old defender who has walked out on them.

St Kilda yesterday gave up its fourth-round pick, selection 59, to the Western Bulldogs for 23-year-old mid-fielder Shane Birss, who played 51 games with the Bulldogs in six seasons.

The Dogs are still to negotiate a deal with West Coast for forward Andrew McDougall.

Geelong half-forward Steve Johnson met with Essendon yesterday, 24 hours after meeting with Collingwood, but his future remains uncertain. The Magpies have indicated they are prepared to offer their second-round pick, selection 28, for the 23-year-old flanker.

The Cats have cooled on their initial interest in Fremantle half-forward Paul Medhurst. Geelong's interest in Daniel Bradshaw will remain unrequited, with the Brisbane Lion full-forward agreeing to a new three-year deal yesterday.

Well, all the positioning and haggling must be ending now. We will find out what is really happening in the nest 24 hrs.

I have a suspicion not much is going to happen apart from us grabbing whatever we can for Polak.

Forget Tarrant, here's what I'd do:

Polak for Tuck straight swap then I'd try to trade Medhurst for Damon White from Port.
That way we get the midfielder we need and White to cover the loss of Polak.
If we couldn't get White, I'd offer the Roos a 4th round pick for Brent LeCras. We still need a another key position player for depth now tha Polly is going.

Another trade idea being flirted by the three clubs involved, from what I have just heard (sorry if it has already been mentioned)

Richmond's draft pick 8 to go to Freo for Polak and pick 13.

Freo to trade pick 8 to Collingwood for Tarrant.

Effectively Freo's first round draft pick and Polak for Tarrant.

It is what's being flaunted atm by the Freo heirachy.

Polak is going anyway...so may as well get something for him.

Agree we are getting jipped....but is more the fault of Polak walking out.

If that trade were to happen....Medhurst must surely be heading elsewhere tommorrow. A early 2nd round pick would do the trick....

The tigers need to give us something more than pick 8. Hopefully they will send something to essendon for Solomon, so it will end up Polak + pick 13 for Tarrantino and Solomon.

Medhurst for the 2nd round pick the eagles get from the dogs, so we'll end up with picks 28, 31, 47, Tarrant and Solomon. I'd be happy with that.

dominguez said:
Medhurst for the 2nd round pick the eagles get from the dogs, so we'll end up with picks 28, 31, 47, Tarrant and Solomon. I'd be happy with that.

WC wont trade a pick they just upgraded. One of the main benefits of that trade is that it got WC ahead of the DOckers in the draft.

If Aker is worth pick 34, then Medders is worth a 3rd rounder.

Acker isn't worth pick 34 for most clubs. A lot of clubs have a youth policy which means Medhurst is a slightly more attractive proposition than Acker.

Roundhouse said:
Acker isn't worth pick 34 for most clubs. A lot of clubs have a youth policy which means Medhurst is a slightly more attractive proposition than Acker.

Medhurst couldnt even get a game in your side. Its not like he is a 20year old rookie either. His form this year was pretty piss poor.

Aker is a brownlow medalist, whose body is perfect and he is a proven gun.

David_Brent said:
Medhurst couldnt even get a game in your side. Its not like he is a 20year old rookie either. His form this year was pretty piss poor.

Aker is a brownlow medalist, whose body is perfect and he is a proven gun.
Yes but he is old and, although his body is holding up well, one serious injury would effectively mean he is past it.

I agree that Medhurst's form this year has been poor, but you could argue that Acker's year has been equally poor. Regardless of his brownlow 6? years ago, Brisbane didn't want him in the team in the last half of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roundhouse said:
Yes but he is old and, although his body is holding up well, one serious injury would effectively mean he is past it.

I agree that Medhurst's form this year has been poor, but you could argue that Acker's year has been equally poor. Regardless of his brownlow 6? years ago, Brisbane didn't want him in the team in the last half of the year.

Akers form was very good this year, he was dropped because of his off-field issues. Form wise he has been the same as past years.

inferno66 said:
6pr report that Freo are going to trade first round pick and a player for Tarrant. The rumored players which could be used in the trade are Schammer, Medhurst or Crowley :eek: . They better not try and trade Crowley or the club has lost its mind

Yeah, no chance we trade Crowley or Drum.

Medhurst the preferred option.

inferno66 said:
6pr report that Freo are going to trade first round pick and a player for Tarrant. The rumored players which could be used in the trade are Schammer, Medhurst or Crowley :eek: . They better not try and trade Crowley or the club has lost its mind

If we give up any of those 3 I'll be spewing.
That would be a huge move backward for the club.

inferno66 said:

I thought the deal was Polak & pick 13 to Tiges for pick 8 which gets hanballed to Colonwood for Tarrant. Thats it no players involved, pies will grab that and run.

Trade week is just a big game of Chicken. We are hanging out for a swap of pick 8 and 26 from Richmond for 13 and Polak from us, won't happen.

A swap of 8, 26, 42 for Polak 13, 31 from us is probaly more realistic, Tigers stay in first 2 rounds of the draft, get a handy kpp in Polak, we move up in the draft and unload pick 42 for Soloman.

Still think the Tarrant deal will fall over.

Nobody has talked about trading polak and our first pick in exchange to richmond for pick 8 + something and then keeping the pick.

With the likes of gumby, Leunberger, Hansen, Sellar and possibly riewoldt (any1 else i forgot?) going before pick 8. That pick could be used on the 3rd 4th or 5th best midfielder.
Selwood, Thorp, Jetta, Proud, Mckenzie, collard or Hislop maybe?

This business of topping up is rubbish. Farm for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade rumours involving Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back