Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Courtney Johns....

I just wanted to get peoples opinions on Courtney Johns. I know he was seen as Sheedys "pet project" but you have to admit Sheeds had a good eye for talent.... QUOTE]

Yes that must be why the bombers have spent the last 5 years on the bottom of the ladder. Better get that recruiting genius up to the swans:thumbsu:

Re: Hall gone to the dogs

If indeed we are trying to lure Kerr to Sydney, we would need to get a first-round draft pick if we traded Hall, especially as the Dogs' first pick will only be around pick #15, that would be pretty fair. Hall's prospects over the next couple of years are a lot better than Spida's 2 years ago and we still gave up a 2nd-round pick for him! WC are prob going to want a first-round pick and a player for Kerr and I think we should keep our first-round pick this year with the GC getting so many priority selections next year. Pick #15 + Ray (or one of the Doggies' fringe players) for Hall? If it doesn't work out, we may not get Kerr but we still get to keep Hall.

(note: I am not too fussed if we don't manage to get our hands on Kerr, though I would take him for a decent trade, similarly I'd like to keep Hall as he's been in good form this year but if we can do a sensible deal with the Dogs I wouldn't mind as I think our forward line wouldn't be too shabby without him, at least until MO'L retires).

Oh, and while I'm at it, trading O'Keefe is an option I'd rather not even discuss!

Hmmm....

Swans offer Kerr 5 year deal

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...6-2722,00.html

SYDNEY has offered a five-year contract to Daniel Kerr despite the controversial midfielder remaining tied to West Coast until the end of next season.

In a concerted effort not to bottom out under coach Paul Roos after quick exits in the past two finals series, the Swans are understood to have identified Kerr as their priority target this year after a series of high-profile recruiting coups.

Re: Hmmm....

Good move.

Dont know what it will cost us, but Kerr would be the perfect slot-in for our midfield which lacks polish.

A midfield of Kirk, Kerr, Goodes, and McViegh is no longer cortina material.

Question is, who will they be kicking the ball to in our forward line ?

If indeed we are trying to lure Kerr to Sydney, we would need to get a first-round draft pick if we traded Hall, especially as the Dogs' first pick will only be around pick #15, that would be pretty fair. Hall's prospects over the next couple of years are a lot better than Spida's 2 years ago and we still gave up a 2nd-round pick for him! WC are prob going to want a first-round pick and a player for Kerr and I think we should keep our first-round pick this year with the GC getting so many priority selections next year. Pick #15 + Ray (or one of the Doggies' fringe players) for Hall? If it doesn't work out, we may not get Kerr but we still get to keep Hall.

(note: I am not too fussed if we don't manage to get our hands on Kerr, though I would take him for a decent trade, similarly I'd like to keep Hall as he's been in good form this year but if we can do a sensible deal with the Dogs I wouldn't mind as I think our forward line wouldn't be too shabby without him, at least until MO'L retires).

Oh, and while I'm at it, trading O'Keefe is an option I'd rather not even discuss!

You're seriously deluded if you think Hall is worth our pick 14. (Most probably Ayce Cordy) A 31 year old player with temperament issues is going nowhere near that pick. :rolleyes:

Try again.

Knowing how trade week usually unfolds, it'll probably be Hall + 4th round pick for Dogs 2nd and 3rd round picks.

You'd be smart to do that trade too. It'll give you access to a whole generation of young players in a time that you'll need them and in a time when drafts will be watered down heavily by Gold Coast/ West Sydney

It would actually be quite funny if a team traded away all its over 27 players for 15 draft picks in the top 50, to build a super-team for 2013!

The Hall trade is more complex than on paper. Hall has great value to sydney in that his is the clubs figurehead and marketting cornerstone. They wont give him up cheaply. Halls value to the dogs is that he offers them a premiership chance in 2 years.

Under those conditions, all bets are off as far as market value goes IMO!

You're seriously deluded if you think Hall is worth our pick 14. (Most probably Ayce Cordy) A 31 year old player with temperament issues is going nowhere near that pick. :rolleyes:

Try again.

Yeah, the Dogs are unlikely to give up pick 14 for Hall, but stranger things have happened! Most people who watched the PF would have said they were only a key forward away from beating Geelong, and Hall could be that key forward who takes the Bulldogs to a premiership. I tend to agree with grayham, the Swans are unlikely to let Hall go cheaply as he still has a lot to offer us. But we'll see.

That said, I think ALL clubs are going to want to hang on to their early picks this year and next. With the GC coming in soon, first-round picks will be like gold.

Yeah, the Dogs are unlikely to give up pick 14 for Hall, but stranger things have happened! Most people who watched the PF would have said they were only a key forward away from beating Geelong, and Hall could be that key forward who takes the Bulldogs to a premiership. I tend to agree with grayham, the Swans are unlikely to let Hall go cheaply as he still has a lot to offer us. But we'll see.

That said, I think ALL clubs are going to want to hang on to their early picks this year and next. With the GC coming in soon, first-round picks will be like gold.

This is a mute point Fantasia has come out and said we're not chasing Hall anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Corpy. Some good points there! From that article it sounds like the Kerr trade won't happen. Hall will probably stay as well, as I don't think the Swans will be too keen to trade him to the Bulldogs if it won't help them get Kerr this year. I bloody hope O'Keefe stays!! *fingers crossed*

I think this would be smart for the club. If we could trade Fosdike with our 3rd rounder and upgrade to a better third rounder/late second rounder then I think it would be a win for the club.

and i forgot about nick davis. can't see him being kept on the list, so i think there will be room to get someone like kerr in. the problem is that WC will want something in return. i think corps was right in that it could drive bidding up much higher for kerr so that no-one takes him next year and then we can get a better deal with WC for him next year (as if they don't do business, kerr will just walk and enter into the pre-season draft).

I agree Corpy. Some good points there! From that article it sounds like the Kerr trade won't happen. Hall will probably stay as well, as I don't think the Swans will be too keen to trade him to the Bulldogs if it won't help them get Kerr this year. I bloody hope O'Keefe stays!! *fingers crossed*

But we are the ones pushing for it.

"SYDNEY has offered a five-year contract to Daniel Kerr despite the controversial midfielder remaining tied to West Coast until the end of next season. In a concerted effort not to bottom out under coach Paul Roos after quick exits in the past two finals series, the Swans are understood to have identified Kerr as their priority target this year after a series of high-profile recruiting coups."

Clearly WCE have identified 2 first round picks as their price for Kerr.

For us to enter discussions with Kerr's management (a fact acknowledged by Roos) we must be willing to meet that price, even if it is not the Eagles preferred 2 in the top 10.

Kerr offered 5 years because he is 25.
ROK offered 3 years because he is 27.

I think it is fair enough the club does not want to sign players up to deals past the age of 30.

5 years for Kerr?

In the last 5 years Kerr has played 92 out of a possible 120 games (77%). ROK has missed one of the our last 122.

In a year when it was crucial for West Coast's success that Kerr stood up, he played only 11 games in 2008. He incurred 2 suspensions before undergoing knee surgery. In April Kerr was suspended for 3 weeks for head butting . In July he was suspended for hitting a bloke in the back of the head. He has been suspended for 11 games over his career.

He has only once finished in the WCE's top 3 in their B&F (2nd in 2002)

Kerr's Off field record;

2002 Gets in a fight with Cousins and pushes Cousins down a flight of stairs resulting in Cousins breaking his arm.

2003 Recorded by police in a drug trafficking case.
(The italics are direct quotes from the ABC report).
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2007/s1880247.htm
Police tapped the phone calls of a drug trafficker, Shane Waters, but the conversations incriminate several high profile sportsmen.

The hundreds of hours of tapes obtained by ABC TV News suggest West Coast Eagles player, Daniel Kerr, bought the drug Ketamine* from the dealer the night after an away game in August 2003.

The conversation also suggests Daniel Kerr carried the drug on a plane back to Perth.

(My Note; It wasn't indicated the amount of drugs that Kerr allegedly bought/transported and he was never charged).
(*Ketamine is a powerful horse tranquillizer sometimes called 'Special K', that's characterised by its potential to make users feel a sense of detachment from their body.)

In 2004, Kerr was fined $400 for forging a valium prescription.

In 2007 Kerr pleaded guilty to assault & criminal damage.

ROK

ROK is a highly talented model of consistency, as illustrated by his recent B&F finishes; 2006 2nd, 2007 5th, 2008 a likely top 3 B&F finish.
He is also a highly durable player, having missed just one game in the last 5 seasons.

ROK is also a player who gives us options. Should we wish to change his role, ROK is more than capable of playing in midfield, or indeed, given his running and one on one ability, even as a defender.

He is model professional on & off the field.

ROK will be eligible for the veteran's list from 2011, (the last 2 year's of a 4 year contract), giving the CLUB flexibility regarding contracts for other players.

Because of age, ability, veteran list status and in truth likely interest from other clubs, there are only 2 players I would give 4 year contracts to.
Goodes is one, ROK is the other.

2008 COMPARISON

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=17&pid1=377&tid2=19&pid2=110
(Averages per game).
Measure ROK (Kerr)
Kicks 13.2 (11.9)
H'Balls 6.5 (11.8)
Disposals19.6 (23.7)
Marks 4.9 (2.2)
Goals 1.0 (0.6)
Tackles 3.0 (2.4)
I50 4.3 (2.3)

ROK is 27years 8 months old, Kerr 25 years 4 months old.

There is absolutely no reason to offer Kerr a 5 year contract and there is every reason to offer O'Keefe a four year contract.

In terms of drafting Kerr....WHY?

This draft seems to be constantly referred to as 'super'.
The draft in coming years will be severely compromised by the introduction of the Gold Coast (and probably at some stage West Sydney).

At his best Kerr is an A Grade midfielder. He has shown a propensity for on & off field problems and to obtain him we would have to give up our first round draft pick and a top line player.

There is no reason whatsoever to suggest this is all a ploy by Sydney. We have been 'honest brokers' in our draft dealings and Roos has stated that they have spoken to Kerr's management.

For us to enter discussions with Kerr's management (a fact acknowledged by Roos) we must be willing to meet that price, even if it is not the Eagles preferred 2 in the top 10.

Assuming we have a choice about bottoming out, how does trading away a first round pick and a top player for an ill disciplined MIDFIELDER, who is recovering from a knee operation help us? Particularly when he is reported to already be in the second year of a $1.7 million dollar deal.

So a reasonable expectation would be a five year deal of $600,000pa.

Pay Kerr $3 million, but refuse ROK a four year deal, which has the advantage of offering us salary cap relief? NO THANKS.

But we are the ones pushing for it.

"SYDNEY has offered a five-year contract to Daniel Kerr despite the controversial midfielder remaining tied to West Coast until the end of next season. In a concerted effort not to bottom out under coach Paul Roos after quick exits in the past two finals series, the Swans are understood to have identified Kerr as their priority target this year after a series of high-profile recruiting coups."

Scott get nickers untwisted and realise journos pad and twist facts to make up a sensational story

A summary to THINK ABOUT!

Roos, who said he personally had no knowledge of the long-term contract offer, said the Swans were waiting on the outcome of dealings with the Eagles and Kerr, which have been ongoing for the best part of this year. "We've certainly expressed an interest to Kerr's manager (Colin Young) and it's my understanding that he's waiting to hear back from West Coast," Roos said.

Roos admitted that Sydney's biggest problem was a doubt on whether the Swans could satisfy West Coast's demands for a satisfactory trade deal.

Roos hasn't even discussed it!

West Coast also threatened to suspended formal talks with Kerr's management until after the October player-exchange period, which starts on Monday week.

Note the fraudian slip on extra "ed"

Kerrs Mgr :

1 Rings someone maybe Ireland (not Roos) at Swans has a loose chat to see if they would offer a 3 plus 2 option and assessment of whether his is worth big bucks
2. Rings all others interested including WCE and says Sydney offers 5 yrs at $X!!!
3. Rings all media (but others having been burnt this week decline) but Australian takes bait and "checks" with Roos!
4. Despite what is said they make a story out of it so DUMB footy fans go berko and think it is TRUE!:eek:

ok then Sanecow - can there ever be such a thing as a "moot point" anyway? That is, if a point no longer has significance, then is it still a point? Feel free to start a new thread on this (or you can just remain mute if preferred).

Absolute bollcks Corps.

Roos publicly identified Didak & Kerr as the Swans targets.

Roos publicly admitted the club contacted Kerr's management.

Roos does not deny a five year offer. He "personally having no knowledge" is semantics. I wonder if Ireland has knowledge.

Of course Roos says getting the deal done is the hard part, it always is. We have to find another first rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back