News Trade Week & DFA's Chat - Non Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

They still need some experience around to support the younger players.... or they become a North Melbourne.

Remember their captain McEvoy has retired too, along with Shiels.

I'd be tempted to argue we're the poster child of that not being true at the moment, seeing we survived with less experience than North. It's really not until you hit GWS/GC expansion levels of youth where it becomes a genuine problem.

Strong off-field team, a decently good coach and some luck with injuries and Hawks should repeat their 2021.

North are a mess for other reasons, namely how a poorly run club can destroy a rebuild in it's infancy.

The 2 most dominant teams of the past decade had amongst the best of the trade period.

AFL "equalisation" at it's finest...

Including the most lop-sided trade in history, for which the AFL changed the rules specifically so it could happen (salary dumps), and which the AFL signed off on. It ****ing stinks.

I just don’t get the trade. When Gold Coast said they were trading Bowes with pick 7 it was a wtf moment.

Surely if you said you’re trading Bowes for a pick in the 70s you’d have a suitor.

To START with pick 7? It’s diabolical.

The club needs to fold for the good of the competition.
Makes a complete mockery of the AFL's Priority Picks to help GC .......GC just thumbed their nose at the AFL & once and for all showed S*** Clubs don't need PP's .....they need a brain transplant

I just don’t get the trade. When Gold Coast said they were trading Bowes with pick 7 it was a wtf moment.
I would like the AFL to make a rule so this situation can't happen ever again.

The GC list management team should lose their jobs for this, but they just don't appreciate top end picks as they should as they are continually showered with them.

The rule I'd like the AFL come up with as let's say the top 4 or 6 for example they are excluded from the Bowes salary dump and pick 7 deal from partcipating. They are just locked out so GC can only negotiate with teams that sit outside this.

You can't have the raining premiers (number 1) getting this (the most lop-sided trade ever). Rich get richer - poor get poorer. If NM Hawthorn Essendon or Adelaide get this trade in I can stomach that but not the reigning premiers.

Last edited:
I think that trade also shows how little the AFL media and wider community care about Gold Coast. When Collingwood had to dump Treloar for a late pick to get his salary off the books people ripped into Ned Guy and he lost his job.
Gold Coast get rid of a good player and a top 10 pick to get some salary off their books and no one seems to care.

You don’t think JHF can match Amon output from this year? Talking 2023 only

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was thinking the other way. I get that people think he won't be able to handle the expectations and there is enough evidence to suggest that is potentially true but as much as i think Amon is a handy wing, flanker, JHF is a big step up and will make a better impact next year than Amon

It’s called ‘selling the farm’ for another player and having nothing left in the kitty.

Geelong might not use 33 in the draft, perhaps their intention is to use 7 and upgrade rookies for the remainder?
I mean they have form in this area if they don't like the deal., they told WC to go away with Kelly and held out on Clark.

It's a real lie on the 'be easy to deal with or you will lose out on other deals'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking the other way. I get that people think he won't be able to handle the expectations and there is enough evidence to suggest that is potentially true but as much as i think Amon is a handy wing, flanker, JHF is a big step up and will make a better impact next year than Amon
Perhaps you need to bet that he will get more Brownlow votes (midfielder medal) than Amon did this year? Go for it! ;)

It’s called ‘selling the farm’ for another player and having nothing left in the kitty.

Geelong might not use 33 in the draft, perhaps their intention is to use 7 and upgrade rookies for the remainder?
I’m sure they could trade it to someone for next year. No such thing as a wasted pick.
Whether they thought 33 was enough for ratugolea is another debate.

I thought that may have been how you took it. Interesting the other comments have all gone the other way - that JHF won’t match Amon productivity.

I tend to think he will improve a lot - different type of player but will provide a decent impact for them. I don’t think he will be noticeably better though next year - which you do - Amon had a really good season.

Will be interesting to watch

IIRC the commentary yesterday was O'Meara can only play 5 continuous games B4 needing to rest his knee .....he'll have to be managed by FREO
Was that on trade radio...the place where you don't get a slot if you do 1 min of homework?

2022 - played every
2021 - missed 3 games (rd 7, 8, 22)
2020 - missed 5 games, (r2, 13-16)
2019 - missed 1 game (rd 4)

Of his 8 seasons, he's played at least 21 games 5 times and 18 once.

1665638079050.png

I thought that may have been how you took it. Interesting the other comments have all gone the other way - that JHF won’t match Amon productivity.

I tend to think he will improve a lot - different type of player but will provide a decent impact for them. I don’t think he will be noticeably better though next year - which you do - Amon had a really good season.

Will be interesting to watch

If there is one thing Port do ok in, it’s giving young players the opportunities to develop quickly.

Having leaders such as Boak to learn from will only benefit JHF, both on field and off field.

He never really had much on field leadership this season, surrounded by inexperienced players who were also early in their development. If Cunnington was fit all season, might have been a different story. And it doesn’t sound like his relationship with Goldstein was an overly positive one.

On-field leadership is an area we struggle in, it’s noticeable how much this improved when Tex returned to the side. Smith, ROB, Laird and co. do not strike me as inspirational on field leaders.

Was that on trade radio...the place where you don't get a slot if you do 1 min of homework?

2022 - played every
2021 - missed 3 games (rd 7, 8, 22)
2020 - missed 5 games, (r2, 13-16)
2019 - missed 1 game (rd 4)

Of his 8 seasons, he's played at least 21 games 5 times and 18 once.

View attachment 1535445
Yes it was ........ I should learn

monkey1.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

News Trade Week & DFA's Chat - Non Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back