Trigg in Coaches Box

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
I can't recall too many instances of a CE deciding an executive position by going into a candidate's office and watching over his shoulder for 2 hours. That is artificial. It is also contrived - and you only need a rudimentary grasp of a fair and transparent selection process to understand why.

As a person who continually is involved in the selectionof key executives, I find your position on this to be totally correct.

Sensibly, the selection process never happens that way anywhere any time for key appointments.

It's amateurish, school boy stuff and reflects poorly on the AFC hierarchy IMO.

If this is the way we are selecting our next coach, then god help us.

Originally posted by Jerome
Yeah...they might be even more logical if I had of remembered that Campbell was the AFC President not CEO.

My bad, still I think in general the rules are that AFC officials stay clear of the coaches box.

Depends on the person in my opinion.

I think it was mentioned during the Port v St Kilda game when they looked into the coaches box and they mentioned that Brian Cunningham was in there. I think Dermie it was said it was odd to see a CEO in the coaches box but Dwayne Russell mentioned that Brian was a 250 game player, state player, premiership captain and that his opinion would be very worthy in the coaches box.

So really it depends who it is. If youve got a champion ex footballer thats opinion has weight and can add something then why not.

I still think a few people on this board are a bit harsh on Neil Craig. It isnt his fault that the media (not just Rucci either but everyone seems to be doing the same thing) seem to be on a mission to get him signed up as coach.

Originally posted by macca23
As a person who continually is involved in the selectionof key executives, I find your position on this to be totally correct.

Sensibly, the selection process never happens that way anywhere any time for key appointments.

Macca has anyone said the purpose of being in the box is to judge Craig?

There are many other reasons why he may have asked to be there.

Originally posted by Macca19
I still think a few people on this board are a bit harsh on Neil Craig.

I'm harsh because I want what's best for the Adelaide Football Club. There are clearly better candidates out there and we have the financial resources to acquire them.

The media can say what they like - but if we take Craig on fulltime when the likes of Wallace, Eade and O'Donnell are available then the board should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Originally posted by dyertribe
I'm harsh because I want what's best for the Adelaide Football Club. There are clearly better candidates out there and we have the financial resources to acquire them.

The media can say what they like - but if we take Craig on fulltime when the likes of Wallace, Eade and O'Donnell are available then the board should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Im with you there are far better candidates than Craig, if they take on Craig fulltime I will not be renewing my membership.

I don't honestly believe we can say that O'donnell, & Harvey are better than Craig.
But from an experience point of view, and runs on the board Wallace is the man - hell every other club is falling over themselves to sign him.
Are they worst judges than us ?

Sorry reflected on that and the shape their clubs are in - my opologies on that last statement:p

Why couldn't Wallace and Craig work together????

Originally posted by Wayne's-World
I don't honestly believe we can say that O'donnell, & Harvey are better than Craig.

I'm not saying they are - however they deserve to have the exact same chance as Craig in the interview and selection process if they choose to apply.

At the moment Craig's fulltime appointment is looking very much like a fait accompli, despite the fact the club has said they will appoint the best possible candidate.

I'm not saying they are - however they deserve to have the exact same chance as Craig in the interview and selection process if they choose to apply.

At the moment Craig's fulltime appointment is looking very much like a fait accompli, despite the fact the club has said they will appoint the best possible candidate.
My understanding is they wanted an experienced coach.
Which excludes Harvey and O'Donnell - but why then is Craig a shoe in because he also has no AFL experience?

I agree they should not exclude all reasonable candidates from the selection process.

I can't recall too many instances of a CE deciding an executive position by going into a candidate's office and watching over his shoulder for 2 hours. That is artificial. It is also contrived - and you only need a rudimentary grasp of a fair and transparent selection process to understand why. He knows what he's looking for? How? What's his experience in sitting in successful AFL coach's boxes and seeing the key criteria that sets the winners apart from the losers? Watching From the Lips of Leigh on Fox? And no matter what he sees from Craig he can't do the same with Wallace, Eade, Harvey, O'Donnell, whoever, so Craig could have a huge (and unfair) advantage or disadvantage compared to those candidates.

That's "cloud cuckoo land". That's "ridiculous". :rolleyes: right back at ya. It'll be interesting one day to see if you're capable of entering a discussion that doesn't involve you insulting anyone with an alternative viewpoint, or providing a logical counterpoint a little more involved than "Trigg knows what he's looking for".

look dude I haven't insulted you, but I can if you like.

you're saying the CEO of possibly the best run club in the land is posturing, and contriving artifical judgements based on wanting to observe someone in the job? and you wonder why i don't respect your opinion? I didn't say Trigg know what he's looking for, I said YOU don't know what Trigg is looking for. still remains true. Much like when you ask me what he knows about observing successful coaches, I don't know what Steven Trigg knows, again NEITHER DO YOU.

Can I ask some questions:
1. is he on the selection panel?
2. If you were on a selection panel for a normal job, would you disregard observations on a candidate who was temporarily filling the job while you sought a permanent replace?
3. have you sat on an executive recruitment panel? I have, and I struggle with the idea you would ignore any of the available information that might lead you to the right choice.
4. why do you presume to know what Trigg is thinking or what the circumstance behind this move is?

answers on the back of a postcard.

Originally posted by macca23

Macca, do you ever have the opportunity to observe someone in the job?
- do you seek references?
- do you have people undergo polymetric and other pyschological testing?
- how many interviews do they go through before offered the job.
- have you ever turned down the opportunity to learn more about a candidate?

all of which is designed to learn as much about the candidate as possible in an artificial way. the least artificial way is actual on the job observation. the rest is guesswork.

For one executive position (group treasurer for a FTSE 250 company) we filled, we had a guy in for probably a total of 2 weeks over a 3 month period. We had him do everything we could, except put him on the hot seat, or hop while rubbing his tummy and patting his head. you do not give people serious jobs without doing everything possible to learn about them.
if you do, the job is not that important, and certainly doesn't pay big money.

I can't recall too many instances of a CE deciding an executive position by going into a candidate's office and watching over his shoulder for 2 hours.

BTW, who said anything about deciding the job based on a 2 hour observation? no really, when was that said?

all anyone has said, is that might a useful piece of additional information. Also Steven Trigg is not deciding this job by himself, but why let that get in the way of a good troll?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very true, it makes you wonder what the selection process would have looked like, if Ayres has stayed the season.

Originally posted by Crow-mosone
look dude I haven't insulted you, but I can if you like.

you're saying the CEO of possibly the best run club in the land is posturing, and contriving artifical judgements based on wanting to observe someone in the job? and you wonder why i don't respect your opinion? I didn't say Trigg know what he's looking for, I said YOU don't know what Trigg is looking for. still remains true. Much like when you ask me what he knows about observing successful coaches, I don't know what Steven Trigg knows, again NEITHER DO YOU.

Can I ask some questions:
1. is he on the selection panel?
2. If you were on a selection panel for a normal job, would you disregard observations on a candidate who was temporarily filling the job while you sought a permanent replace?
3. have you sat on an executive recruitment panel? I have, and I struggle with the idea you would ignore any of the available information that might lead you to the right choice.
4. why do you presume to know what Trigg is thinking or what the circumstance behind this move is?

answers on the back of a postcard.

Hmmm you call my opinions ridiculous, cloud cuckoo land, accuse me of trolling but you haven't insulted me. Clearly I'm way too sensitive.

Short answers:
1. I don't know, I assume so.
2. Observations are available without going in the coach's box. Again I ask what does he have to compare to? What will he see there that will help him decide?
3. Yes, and I look for relevant information. The coach's box is a small factor and his presence in there is an artefact.
4. I don't. I was responding to speculation offered by others.

A question for you.

What do you think Trigg learned in there tonight? Or would what happened on the field and his preparation of the team be more relevant?

Originally posted by DaveW
Snap. :p

Don't look at me, I'm just trolling .. apparently that's shorthand for having an alternative viewpoint ... ;)

What do you think Trigg learned in there tonight? Or would what happened on the field and his preparation of the team be more relevant?
At least he can say he was part of a history making night.:(

Originally posted by maccas_no1
I hope he took away any thought what-so-ever of allowing Craig the senior coaching job past seasons end.

No No you have it wrong.
Craig was the heir apparent 3 years ago and was promised the job then.
Can't change destiny now, not after one small insignificant loss:rolleyes:

Originally posted by maccas_no1
Wouldnt mind being a fly on the wall in the next AFC board meeting.
I hope they have the humility to change their thoughts before its too late.

Sadly it may already be:( :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Trigg in Coaches Box

Remove this Banner Ad

Back