UFC 107 - Penn vs Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

May 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - should be a great fight but Diego's only chance is to push the pace without getting caught in anything and hope that BJ fades in the last couple of rounds, I'm taking BJ by sub though
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - for all the crap Kongo gets about his ground game he's never been tapped and though he's never fought a BJJ guy like Mir I think he'll daze Mir from the guard and finish with some brutal GNP.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - Pierce is tough but Fitch should be a level above, TKO in the second
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - tough to call, Florian's the better fighter but he may have some problems with Guida's pace, he'll be seriously motivated after the Penn loss though, wouldn't surprise me if he subs Guida with a rear naked.
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - big test for Struve, Buentello hasn't been submitted in eight years and Struve has struggled when trying to strike with his opponents, Buentello takes it by TKO

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Gouveia by TKO, could go either way though
Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs Shane Nelson - Wiman by decision
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - Hendricks by decision
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Palhares by decision
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Garcia by sub
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - Burns by decision

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - Wow. Hard pick. Gotta go with the champ, but if I was a betting man I'd put money on Diego as he's greater than a 3 to 1 underdog. Definate value there. I don't see Diego getting subbed unless rocked first, I dont see Diego getting tired or careless on the ground, so the only way I see it happening is if Penn can use his power and suprise Diego and finish him off with a flying knee or GnP. The only question is Diego's chin. Really good fight, but my brain says Penn will finish somehow. If it goes to a decision Diego will probably have done more over the term but with the judges in the UFC its a flip of a coin regardless of what has happened in the fight. There is an irking feelinf in me that says Penn is losing this, but I'll tip him regardless.
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Kongo also, GnP after Mir cops one and mentally breaks down. Obviously could also be a sub, but Kongo should power out of anything Mir attempts I reckon.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - Fitch is all around better and easy #2 at WW.
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Like Ross, I find this one tough to call, I think if Florian doesn't sub Guida or keep it standing enough, he will be on the bad side of a decision as I reckon Guida's takedown and stay on top style will trouble Kenny. I give the benefit of the doubt to Kenny though by keeping it standing enough, or if it goes to the ground getting a reversal and sub.
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Buentello will rough Struve up and win by decision or TKO

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Belcher by Decision
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - Hendricks by decision
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Palhares by sub
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Garcia by sub
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - TJ Grant by decision

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - I'm taking Sanchez, for one because no one else will :p, but also because I get this weird feeling that BJ is due to let his guard down. Another professional win from BJ wouldn't surprise me, but Diego might be able to use his strength and conditioning to go with a GSP-type strategy to wear BJ out.

Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - I like Frank Mir, but it's so hard to know what you're going to get with him. I think his short reign as interim champ was his last hurrah, so I'm tipping him to get KO'd.

Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - Shouldn't really be much of a contest, Fitch with the take downs, finishing him by KO or RNC on the ground.

Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Guida is one of my top 5 least favourite fighters. I hate Guida's "lay and pray" style, and I hope Ken-Flo cuts him with some elbows and then kicks his hairstyle back to the jungle.

Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Gotta go with the 7-foot (nearly) monster in Struve. He's still young, and could be the next big thing in the heavyweight division.

Prelims

Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Good fight - Should be on the main card. Regardless, I'm going Belcher by decision.

Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs Shane Nelson - Wiman's lost a couple of decisions in a row now, so I expect him to come out guns blazing and finish this one early, or at least try to.

Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - Hendricks by KO.

Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Linhares by decision.

Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - DaMarques to put his athleticism to good use and win by decision.

Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - The Fire to submit Grant.

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - As good a fighter as Sanchez is, Penn is better. His standup is better and so is his ground skills. Penn's just a monster at LW and whilst I think it'll probably go the 3 rounds, I think Penn will dominate and get an easy decision.
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Wow, there must be some hate for Mir here or something. :confused: If Mir's on, he'll win this comfortably. Mir by sub.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - I agree that Jon Fitch is the second best welterweight in the UFC and I expect him to win this. Let's say by sub.
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Florian to get in a lucky punch and KO Guida.
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Don't know Buentello but I'll tip him here.

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Agree this should be on the main card. Belcher by decision.
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - Hendricks a good young fighter wins by decision
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Palhares by sub.
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Hopefully Garcia but probably Johnson. By TKO.
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - Burns by TKO. Looking forward to seeing Burns again. He can bang.

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - BJ. Just becasue he is BJ. Best matchup in a long time for him though. Still Penn.
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Close, but Mir is a bit small. Could really go either way. KO or sub.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - Fitch and prbably easy.
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Florian is skilled enough but Guida is a ****ing pitbull. Agree with the assesments about dogey LnP to glory.
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Don't realy know. lose again.

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Belcher
Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs Shane Nelson - NFI about Nelson
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - NFI about Funch
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Palhares
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Garcia
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - NFI

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - Gotta go with Penn via sub or TKO. I'd love to see Sanchez go crazy and KO the champ in the first couple of minutes but I think BJ will weather the early storm and be smarter and patient. Lots of love for Diego's Tony Robbins schtick.
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Mir by whatever he wants. Don't understand people here under-rating him. Kongo is no Brock Lesnar. Mir's got excellent jiu jitsu for a heavyweight and his stand up keeps getting better. Kongo was shit house on the ground against Velasquez. I reckon Mir could even ground n pound his way to victory.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - Fitch by whatever he wants.
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Florian to sub once the opportunity presents itself.
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - The Aryan giant to win via sub.

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Belcher TKO
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - Hendricks to get another TKO
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Palhares by sub.
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Garcia by KO
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - Burns by decision.

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - Well I'm not giving Diego as much of a chance as the rest of you, but I'm not ruling him out. How BJ will win is the tough part. As far as I know Sanchez has never been stopped or even badly hurt so his chin is solid. He's also never been submitted, but that's what I'm going with, round 3.
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - I couldn't care less about this fight. I think both are very average fighters but Kongo will likely get the stoppage, round 2.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - I liked what I saw from Pierce against Brock Larson but he's next to no chance here. TKO 1st.
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - I'm with Vinnie on Guida. I don't care how hyper he is, the guy's boring as batshit. I'm also not a fan of Kenny but I think, as Magnum said, he'll sweep Guida and submit him in the 2nd. He could rock him standing and then finish him with the elbows, but Guida's pretty tough.
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Struve has looked impressive at times, but also really average at other times. Buentello TKO in the 3rd.

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - Gouveia comes across as quite fragile but he's got all the skills. Belcher is the kind of guy who's good enough to challenge anyone but isn't likely to reach great heights. Gouveia TKO 2nd.
Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs Shane Nelson - Wiman needs a win and he should get one. Decision.
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - Don't know Funch but we know Hendricks has KO power so I'll go with him
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - Palhares by whatever early.
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - Garcia KO 2nd.
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - Burns submission 1st.

Another poor card but BJ vs Diego is reason enough to watch it.

Yeah Diego is mental but I love him. He's so unintentionally funny when he speaks. Even his walk in cracks me up. Apparently he's really into the Tony Robbins lifestyle which is why he's always shouting "YES! YES! YES!"

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - By Yes TKO
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - By Sub
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - By Sub
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - By Decision
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - By KO

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher vs Wilson Gouveia - By Decision
Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman vs Shane Nelson - Wiman by Decision
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks vs Ricardo Funch - By TKO
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares vs Lucio Linhares - By sub.
Welterweight bout: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia - By Sub
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns vs TJ Grant - By TKO

Lightweight Championship: BJ by whatever he wants. Diego won't get past KFlo when they rematch.
Heavyweight bout: Kongo, TKO. Kongo hasn't been tapped yet and while we all remember the Cain fight, it's easy to forget he had 2 weeks to prepare. Mir doesn't have Cains takedown prowess and this one gets messy.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch, he doesn't want another decision, i'm thinking 2nd round TKO.
Lightweight bout: Clay Guida - By Decision or late stoppage, we should see the best Captain Caveman ever now that he's seen how close he could be to a title shot
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello KO, real quick, as quick as Dos Santos finished him, terrible match up.

Prelims
Middleweight bout: Alan Belcher via decision
Lightweight bout: Matt Wiman via decision
Welterweight bout: Johny Hendricks via Sub.
Middleweight bout: Rousimar Palhares by decision
Welterweight bout: Edgar Garcia straight up KTFO
Welterweight bout: Kevin Burns gets a KO or TKO

Looking forward to this card after the TUF 10 Final / Circus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cracking card - can't wait!

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - BJ by submission
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Mir submission.
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce - Fitch by TKO
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Florian by decision/
Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs Stefan Struve - Buentello KO

Loved the way they worked the Diego being weird angle into the Countdown show. BJ saying Diego's a little weird then cut to Diego doing the yes cartwheels and then sitting there cross-legged meditating.

Hahah, that was freaking hilarious. Just caught Countdown to UFC 107...

BJ: "I don't mind Deigo, but he's a little bit mental"

*cut to shot of "YES Cartwheel"*

lol :thumbsu:

On a side note, I can't stand Frank Mir! I hope Kongo knocks that smug grin right off his face :D

How funny was Diego's lounge room? No furniture, just mats for training. The relaxation set up was brilliant with the massage helmet, massage chair and oxygen tank.

I'm actually a bigger Frank Mir fan after watching the countdown. The guy's completely delusional which I find hilarious. His life revolves around Brock Lesnar. He's like Jake Gylenhaal in Zodiac - completely obsessed and won't rest until Lesnar is brought to justice. I'd love for him to KO or sub Kongo in the first round just to hear his interview with Rogan.

So pumped for tomorrow! Can't wait.

I'm fascinated by Sanchez - Penn. Head says Penn is better everywhere so should dominate, but something is telling me Diego.

If someone knows a place in Canberra that's televising the event let me know.

Kongo has to be one of the coolest guys on the planet. Hope he knocks Mir into oblivion, but I don't think he'll be good enough to do it. I really should not have watched the countdown show because it makes me even more tempted to buy it than I was.

Lightweight Championship: BJ Penn vs Diego Sanchez - Second round stoppage
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo -Mir via triangle choke
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce -Decision Victory
Lightweight bout: Kenny Florian vs Clay Guida - Split Decision

As above

I doubt that it will be a very good card

Yes cartwheel FTW!

Head says Penn will dominate but for some strange reason instinct says Diego will gas him, despite the count down show and Penn's apparent career best condition. I'll stick with my head.

My god I hope Kongo belts Mir into the middle of next week... but I think Mir will withstand the initial onslaught, get him to the ground and sub him. Then watch the attention seeking little high school bitch in him call out Lesnar.

Remove this Banner Ad

UFC 107 - Penn vs Sanchez

Remove this Banner Ad

Back