MMA-UFC UFC 305: Du Plessis vs Adesanya @ Perth (August 18, 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

How can you say he looks done after that performance? That was an incredibly tight fight for over three rounds and one little mistake at the end gave DDP the opening to get a submission win. I wouldn't be surprised if Izzy was ahead on the scorecards going into that fourth round. It was certainly close if he wasn't ahead. If you're THAT close to the championship then I think it's a stretch to say someone looks done.

Does he actually look done or do you just want him to be done?
Definitely not an Izzy hater. I believe 2019-20 Izzy face-plants DDP several times in this fight. He looked noticeably slower here and against Strickland. He was up for sure, and taking over the fight, but he is levels and levels above DDP in striking so that's exactly what should happen.

And again, he's still well and truly good enough to beat almost the entire division. But that's not what he's here for now, he's here for titles.

And again, he's still well and truly good enough to beat almost the entire division. But that's not what he's here for now, he's here for titles.

He has said that his contract has no 'win bonus' i.e. he is getting paid regardless of win or loss.

Probably getting a million or more per fight for the next two years (four or five fights).

He has no reason to walk away.

But I can't see him wanting to grind through non title fights is what I ment
How many would he realistically need to get another shot at the belt? Probably one against Strickland. Shouldn't be too hard to motivate him for a Strickland rematch.

Definitely not an Izzy hater. I believe 2019-20 Izzy face-plants DDP several times in this fight. He looked noticeably slower here and against Strickland. He was up for sure, and taking over the fight, but he is levels and levels above DDP in striking so that's exactly what should happen.

In the lead up to this DDP fight he talked about working on getting stronger and putting on size so he could hit harder and defend takedowns better. That's probably why he looked slower today, but it did help him defend takedowns and avoid danger on the ground. Did he get the balance wrong? Perhaps. That's the game you play, though.

Res. Record OpponentMethod
Win22-2Israel
Adesanya
Submission (face crank)
Win21-2Sean
Strickland
Decision (split)
Win20-2Robert
Whittaker
TKO
(punches)

Pretty solid resume for DDP, already beats Izzy’s

How many would he realistically need to get another shot at the belt? Probably one against Strickland. Shouldn't be too hard to motivate him for a Strickland rematch.

Strickland had already been confirmed for the DDP fight though

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

lol @ Izzy being 'done'.

He was piecing DDP up until he (inevitably) got caught.

Will still take Whittaker and others to the cleaners.

I would probably bet on him in a rematch against Strickland tbh. 50 50 at worst.

In a couple of years he will be done but we are not there yet. Tonight showed what he still has.

rounds 1-3 were pretty close, DDP almost got him in a couple of rear chokes in the 2nd round, was very close to be over.

Izzy wasn't piecing anything up, he was controlling the stand-up game in round 4 for sure, but DDP caught him with a temple shot. DDP just has soooo much power.

DDP did very very well.

Big big loss for Izzy, at 35 it’s a bit of career killer, he’d need to win 2 on the trott to get another title shot.

In the lead up to this DDP fight he talked about working on getting stronger and putting on size so he could hit harder and defend takedowns better. That's probably why he looked slower today, but it did help him defend takedowns and avoid danger on the ground. Did he get the balance wrong? Perhaps. That's the game you play, though.
Valid point, but in the two previous fights he still didn't have the Izzy speed we know. Yes it worked out against Poatan, because he's that good, but the decline won't be halted.

Anyway, despite being very wealthy already, he obviously loves spending, so I'd say mouncey2franklin has hit the mark.

Big big loss for Izzy, at 35 it’s a bit of career killer, he’d need to win 2 on the trott to get another title shot.

I still reckon they'll rematch him and Whittaker. I feel like this really could happen if Whittaker loses to Chimaev, Khamzat v DDP would be fun and they have a few events coming up in Australia where Rob/Izzy 3 could feature.

That said my man DDP! He just finds a way to win, he's like what Gastelum could have been, nothing flashy but just get the job done.

Really disappointing loss for Erceg, he looked great early until he got belted I guess, awesome win for KKF, good on him.

And the judge who gave Tuivasa the win 30-27, disgraceful is the only word, glad he got pulled off the later fight, think he was meant to do the co main or main, common sense prevailed there.

I still reckon they'll rematch him and Whittaker. I feel like this really could happen if Whittaker loses to Chimaev, Khamzat v DDP would be fun and they have a few events coming up in Australia where Rob/Izzy 3 could feature.

That said my man DDP! He just finds a way to win, he's like what Gastelum could have been, nothing flashy but just get the job done.

Really disappointing loss for Erceg, he looked great early until he got belted I guess, awesome win for KKF, good on him.

And the judge who gave Tuivasa the win 30-27, disgraceful is the only word, glad he got pulled off the later fight, think he was meant to do the co main or main, common sense prevailed there.
The loser of Whittaker/Chimaev is surely the go. The rematch was a great fight, and while a fairly clear 48-47 for Izzy in my eyes, Rob took the last two rounds and the 5th fairly decisively. And a Izzy/Chimaev fight would be huge regardless.

I saw a comment on Reddit re DDP, something along the lines of - he just decides it's time to win and wins.

The loser of Whittaker/Chimaev is surely the go. The rematch was a great fight, and while a fairly clear 48-47 for Izzy in my eyes, Rob took the last two rounds and the 5th fairly decisively. And a Izzy/Chimaev fight would be huge regardless.

I saw a comment on Reddit re DDP, something along the lines of - he just decides it's time to win and wins.

I look at DDP and think I wish I trained a guy like that, heart as big as a pumpkin!

DDP is basically a bigger more powerful version of what Whittaker wants to be
They both bum rush, they both strike and wrestle, they both have all heart. Main difference is Whittaker couldn't use pure strength or power to beat Izzy when DDP could.

DDP is basically a bigger more powerful version of what Whittaker wants to be
They both bum rush, they both strike and wrestle, they both have all heart. Main difference is Whittaker couldn't use pure strength or power to beat Izzy when DDP could.

I mean Whittaker “looks better”, DDP looks clumsy and off balance at times, but look at the outcome, he’s putting together quite a resume thus far, that’s what counts of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a suspension for pointing out peoples hypocrisy but gee it was good to watch izzy lose. Flog

Tai will surely be cut. He hasnt improved in years

KKF next title shot?

Thought Hooker lost but gamrot doesnt exactly do much damage so good result. Hooker v Poirer/Gaethje/Dariush/Oliveira?

No idea what tafa was moaning at, verbal submission is a thing and the right call

Got a suspension for pointing out peoples hypocrisy but gee it was good to watch izzy lose. Flog

Tai will surely be cut. He hasnt improved in years

KKF next title shot?

Thought Hooker lost but gamrot doesnt exactly do much damage so good result. Hooker v Poirer/Gaethje/Dariush/Oliveira?

No idea what tafa was moaning at, verbal submission is a thing and the right call

Good to have you back!

Tai should do bare knuckle, he's made for that sport i reckon, it's becoming a lot bigger too, he might make some decent dough.

Glad for Hooker, he should be able to get a decent fight, he'd fit the profile for a BMF fight too, maybe not popular enough, that might be the problem.

And from what i read the ref called it cause Tafa yelled out in pain, apparently that can be taken a verbal sub. Either way nothing to whinge about. You don't see many leg submissions in the UFC, I think if it happens to you you're prob pretty green on the ground which Tafa is (and he'd probably agree).

Good to have you back!

Tai should do bare knuckle, he's made for that sport i reckon, it's becoming a lot bigger too, he might make some decent dough.

Glad for Hooker, he should be able to get a decent fight, he'd fit the profile for a BMF fight too, maybe not popular enough, that might be the problem.

And from what i read the ref called it cause Tafa yelled out in pain, apparently that can be taken a verbal sub. Either way nothing to whinge about. You don't see many leg submissions in the UFC, I think if it happens to you you're prob pretty green on the ground which Tafa is (and he'd probably agree).
Tai should take his training more seriously then decide what he wants to do. He's literally no better now than when he started

They're given rules in the back, they're told yelling in pain will see the ref step in. Tafa obviously panicked as he wasn't in danger in hindsight given he popped straight up but he yelled, ref did his job...

Don't think Walker is any good tbh, shows where tafa is at

Tafa is definitely useless on the ground, but that also means he was likely stuffed and in danger of severe damage. The ref saved him.

Plus yelling as a verbal sub has been around for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

MMA-UFC UFC 305: Du Plessis vs Adesanya @ Perth (August 18, 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back