Umpires in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

dhdc freo

Rookie
Aug 24, 2009
jandakot
AFL Club
Fremantle
We were poor today,very poor but,playing in Melbourne the umpires just see the game differently towards away sides.So many times they ignore decisions that need to be made regardless of who is playing,,chopping the arms must have happened 4 times against Keplar and Mayne,Riewolt went for mark of the year twice,got no where near it and didn't give a kick away.There were a number of times the Tigers were awarded frees for high,when they almost dropped the head into a Freoplayer.McPharlain also got smashed after taking a mark,which resulted in a goal.
This is not a rant after losing a game,these are simple rules of the game.We had our chance to kill this game off early,but the game is hard to watch when the rules are not followed for the away teams playing in Melbourne.

There were times when the umpire was in the best position to see the free kicks and just deadset didn't whistle them when they were blatant. The game was probably out of reach but the McPharlin mark / no free was laughable

we deserved to lose, but the umpires were appauling. Wouldn't take it personally, they are terrible week in week out regardless of who is playing.

Umpiring didnt really favour us or them.
It was poor both ways.
Difference was richmond took advantage on the scoreboard with theirs an we wasted ours.

The scary thing is with 9 games a week instead of 8 next year the umpiring standards are going to get even worse.

Umpiring in some of our other games especially the home ones has been alot more biased against us than this game.

did u watch the 3rd quarter?? u had more free kicks? how many times ur blokes threw the ball out while tackled was a joke. adam mcphee free kick end of second quarter? wow i presume u werent watching.

U meen lik wen jack tried to take a mark wiv his feet, and freo didnt get the free ? did u watch

U meen lik wen jack tried to take a mark wiv his feet, and freo didnt get the free ? did u watch

Its impossible for a guy to get in that position without a small nudge
it was either a free against a freo player for a push.
Or a free against riewoldt for an unrealistic marking attempt

Just poor umpiring.

Its impossible for a guy to get in that position without a small nudge
it was either a free against a freo player for a push.
Or a free against riewoldt for an unrealistic marking attempt

Just poor umpiring.

How many times do you see forwards taking a speccie, mis-time their jump and push out with feet, only to completely miss the mark. Whistle free kick to the defender.
Wow-wee did you see that, Reiwoldt, play on :thumbsdown:

Baha glad you understood their post...

I have 3 kids under 14 who are into texting, and Hannah Montanna.

I have to understand it,

Now where are those Peroni's, i am in the mood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean when Reiwoldt was tunneled going for the mark. How was he suppsed to get himself in that position by himself? Almost impossible

Dont forget the 2 players that collided in the middle of the ground. Nobodies fault just a contest should of been play on but Freo got the free.

Also when a Richmond player was held onto/thrown to the ground without the ball in the Freos forward 50 not paid that resulted in a Freo goal.

Shit thread is shit.

its not the 'maybe 'frees that bug me so much,you can almost understand the umps not seeing a one handed handpass in a pack,they tend to even themselves out,its the fact they ignore simple rules of the game,things that can be seen in row z,and to me it seems to happen when so called smaller interstate clubs play in melbourne.
Chopping the arms is simple,can be seen clearly in a 1 on 1 marking contest,and everyone could see the Reiwolt attempts were a free,they simply ignored them for whatever reason.
Its not all about 'you got more frees in the 3rd' Your ruckman was mauling sandi,which resulted in most of our kicks,its the fact that the fact some of the blatant ones are ignored suggest something is going on.

You mean when Reiwoldt was tunneled going for the mark. How was he suppsed to get himself in that position by himself? Almost impossible

Dont forget the 2 players that collided in the middle of the ground. Nobodies fault just a contest should of been play on but Freo got the free.

Also when a Richmond player was held onto/thrown to the ground without the ball in the Freos forward 50 not paid that resulted in a Freo goal.

Shit thread is shit.

That collision one was a stupid free kick. Don't even start on free kicks missed as a result of high tackles or being pushed in the back.

As shitty a thread as it is, some flogs here are even worse, like the WCE flog talking about tunnelling of J. Riewoldt. :rolleyes:

Ahhhh, God bless them.

It got to the point where all I could do was laugh. When jack went up and took out 2 players whilst being horizontal I knew that it was a joke. Apparently he's allowed to go for screamers, not touch the ball and take out the defender in the process now.

Not saying we lost because of the umps but some of those calls were ridiculous.

Im not saying they cost us the game by any means.I hope people read this for what it is,and don't just dismiss it as a 'shit thread'.
The reason i posted this was a call on 6pr heard last week that got me thinking.This guy called and was moaning about umps in Dockers games,Carl Langdon dismissed it as the freo faithful being a bit one eyed,like most teams supporters.They then turned to Peter Bell who apparently had a grin from ear to ear,he confirmed that the club has felt for a while that they get the raw end of the deal,especially in melbourne.He even stated that an umpire once told him that if he was in any doubt about a decision,he would give it against Belly!!
The panel quizzed him over is and he wasn't sure if it was a Freo thing or the fact that Belly was a bit of a nuisance towards the umpires.
Thats why i ask not to just say this is a shit post,it does happen,this is why i was interested to see today how it went,not the 50/50 calls, but the ones where they blatantly ignore the rules.
Its not just AFL,there are some amazing stats in all sports that just don't add up,there was one stage there where Manchester United had not had a penalty given against them at home for over 5 years!!!!

I'm not going to blame the umpires for the loss. The decisions were shit both ways, however.................................................................

What needs to be asked is this

Is it actually possible to apply the rules consistently for once for all teams?

Riewoldt goes for mark of the year, no contact with ball, no free kick
Scrapping and sgragging of Sandilands
Repeated chopping of the arms

Also, if a supporter can look at umpires and say that they're not going to win because such and such an umpire is in charge (today Razor Ray), you would logically think that umpire shouldn't be assigned to Freo games

take a look on the AFL site at latest videos for riewoldts fall

Like i said its impossible for a guy to end up in that position without being pushed.
video shows mcpharlin pushed him.

Poor umpiring because he had to pay the free for a push, or a free for unrealistic marking attempt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back