Umpires kick the last goal to win the game

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen the replay but I thought I saw Stiffy get held by the jumper by Medhurst before it got to Anthony/Rutten. I might have just been caught up in the emotion of the moment in wanting Collingwood to lose though.

Both the Tippett around the neck free kick, and the Anthony/Rutten free's were there, but were both soft. Could have both been let go considering it was a final, and late in the game. TBH, I was suprised Rutten was penalised at that stage in the game, usually the umpires don't have the guts to do that.

Tippetts free was there. He was first to the ball and got tackled around the neck. How ever I would've liked to see some of the holding of the arms he copped paid as it was happening all night.

In reality the free was there. Its just annoying that yet again they let it go all game but pay it in the last 15 seconds of the game.

Crows got a goal from a very similar holding free in the first quarter (Hentschel I think) - just won't be remembered because of the time of the game

I couldn't believe they gave that one to Tippett. He clearly picked up the ball then dropped it. Sould have been paid against him or let go. At that stage of the game I would have like to have seen it let go, but they couldn't let that one go against Rutten. That was so obvious. How could an experienced player let that happen. It was a good game thou and before I get red carded or verbally bashed, it was a free kick that needed to be paid. If Dangerfield or Porps had been held like that at the other end you would have been shouting for a free kick and demanding answers if it hadn't been paid

I don't agree he dropped it but he was "in possession" for mine in that Presti taking his arm prevented Tippet getting it but the ball was well within reach and Presti beat him to the punch.

Anthony's free kick was there and the reason he wasn't in the marking duel was because Rutten was holding his arm. If Otten didn't take the mark I think more people would have seen it.

If it's any comfort to Crows fans Riewoldt got a few last week for exactly that.

I couldn't see the free from where I was sitting, but the majority on here, with the benefit of TV saw something.

We all said it would happen but an umpire had costed a team a final, and it happened to be us.

Dude the free was there and the umpires cost us nothing. Maybe if we converted our dominance in the first half into scoreboard pressure it'd be a different story.

It's much easier playing the blame game but the truth is we weren't good enough from the end of the first quarter onwards.

If you want to talk about missed holding decisions, there was another one on the wing, where Dick made his big break. You could see in the background that Goodwin's jumper was being stretched out behind him by his Collingwood opponent, just as he tried to grab Dick. Goodwin missed, by the proverbial, and Dick went on to kick the goal.

But what is worse in your mind? an umpire paying a soft free that's there that wins a team a game or an Umpire not paying a soft free that's there and costs a team a game.........

I would really like to see another angle of that goal by anthony, it looked awfully close to the post. Anyone behind the goals see it.

BTW my thoughts, NC lost us the game.

Another year wasted.

+ Collingwood will be in the finals for the next twently years. When the finals are schedueled at the ground they play at nearly every game at, they have the biggest advantage in the world.

Also their players get to experience a 'finals like' game nearly every week.

The AFL has created a monster.

Bring on the cricket season.

so if we had kicked straight in the second quarter, NC would have won us the game?

if we had finished 4th we would have played them at AAMI

thanks for your insights

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to talk about missed holding decisions, there was another one on the wing, where Dick made his big break. You could see in the background that Goodwin's jumper was being stretched out behind him by his Collingwood opponent, just as he tried to grab Dick. Goodwin missed, by the proverbial, and Dick went on to kick the goal.
lol.......

sorry, i'm a 12 year old stuck in a 28 year olds body!!! :D

But Tippett's goal didn't win the game?? :confused:

I meant it as one or the other what's worse the umpire doing their correct job or not doing it correctly.

would you feel worse if an umpire gave the opp a soft free to win the opp the game or would you prefer the ump to not pay your team a soft free thus costing you the game.

Just got home from the game - gutted, rooted etc. Wouldn't blame the umpiring meself. I actually disliked our 2nd qtr almost as much as the 3rd qtr. Felt we had let them off the hook even at HT. Should have been more than 6 goals up by then :mad:.

I would really like to see another angle of that goal by anthony, it looked awfully close to the post. Anyone behind the goals see it.

BTW my thoughts, NC lost us the game.

Another year wasted.

+ Collingwood will be in the finals for the next twently years. When the finals are schedueled at the ground they play at nearly every game at, they have the biggest advantage in the world.

Also their players get to experience a 'finals like' game nearly every week.

The AFL has created a monster.

Bring on the cricket season.

Maybe Collingwood supporters shouldn't be allowed to turn up to their games?:rolleyes:

You guys normally own us on the MCG and after the red hot start you got I thought it was a question of how much the Crows. Do you think it was Collingwood's familiarity with the ground that got us back into the game or what is something else? I think it was other factors but you've got your opinion and I'm not trying to change it.

Yes, they do come out of the woodwork, don't they ? The NC comment ... of course the players execution and collywobbles fierce attack had nothing to do with it ! not. P)

Maybe Collingwood supporters shouldn't be allowed to turn up to their games?:rolleyes:

You guys normally own us on the MCG and after the red hot start you got I thought it was a question of how much the Crows. Do you think it was Collingwood's familiarity with the ground that got us back into the game or what is something else? I think it was other factors but you've got your opinion and I'm not trying to change it.

I think when you got 5 goals down your team knew exactly what it needed to do. It's the challenge for Craig now to teach the crows how to win when someone challenges.

the free was indeed there. kicking one goal in a half of footy is what really cost you the game. really sorry for you guys i hate collingwood about as much as anyone. now i have to hope the cats make them pay next week because i really dont want to see the pies in the GF. really wanted you guys to win - i was on the bandwagon.

The umpires didn't win the game for the Pie's. The Crows didn't work hard enough to stop them, but basically, the Pie's wanted it and PLAYED for it more.

No, but as a coach you adapt to the situation. He flooded and we still leaked goals like a afghani refugee ship.

Why on earth would you stop being offensive when it had worked so well (even though we kicked poorly int he 2nd). Was poor form and was the reason we lost IMO.

you're right - just keep being offensive all game and win every week

and if you can't get the ball? what then sherlock?

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires kick the last goal to win the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back