News UPDATE: SANFL rescind approval for AFC using state style jumper

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
when the hell have you ever got 40-45k to a game?

what a crock.

or just don't booo :cool:
Not going to answer as this is a club board and Im not going off topic or trolling.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

That's what I think too, but using a game against Port Adelaide to do it is the interesting bit. Any other team in the league I almost certainly wouldn't care.

So booing the SA guernsey (because its the Crows wearing it) is the result. Hope we wear the prison bars now to really rev things up.

I see your meaning but the showdown will be the AFC's first game at it's new home ground, whether it's your home game officially makes no difference to this. Wearing the guernsey the following week would have almost no meaning at all in comparison.

Explain to me why you care so much we did it against you but against another side it wouldn't matter?

If the first game at Adelaide Oval was Crows Vs Blues - and the crows wore this guernsey, then that is an acceptable and admirable celebration of footy history in SA on a historic game? But because its the Power it's not?

Does it just boil down to Port still being miffed they weren't the first team in?

Sure I get the fact its laying down the guantlet a bit - but the to celebrate the history of footbal in SA, if you can take your teal shades off for a minute, I struggle to appreciate why some port fans can't appreciate that.
As I said a number of times, its not about the Crows wearing it, its about them wearing it against another SA team.

How that is a celebration of SA football by encouraging some SA people to barrack against it for the first time ever?

Now I get you don't care about Port Adelaide AFL and fair enough. My opinion means stuff all. But it will be funny to roll out 35 SANFL premiership cups as our history, and watch you boo that, your own history.

I love how quiet the clubs been all summer. The other team going on and on about their wins off field. 5 Days of signings, half a sponsor events and everything else. We come out... Announcement today, tweet a photo and create a ton of discussion/debate and media attention.

As I said a number of times, its not about the Crows wearing it, its about them wearing it against another SA team.

How that is a celebration of SA football by encouraging some SA people to barrack against it for the first time ever?

Now I get you don't care about Port Adelaide AFL and fair enough. My opinion means stuff all. But it will be funny to roll out 35 SANFL premiership cups as our history, and watch you boo that, your own history.

Can we roll out the other 115 cups then?

I am of the belief a whole lot of people have jumped on the 'crows shouldn't be wearing the state jumper' band wagon without actually attempting to hear it from the clubs point of view. Nigel Smart had some very good points in his interview on 5AA that everyone should be listening too.

The reason the crows are wearing the jumper is to honour all the history of South Australian Football including the fact the crows were born from all SANFL Clubs. This is to celebrate the States great history and football tradition as we move back to what is regarded the home of football in this state.

I am disappointed to hear that so many greats (mainly of Port Adelaide allegiance mind you) are openly against the idea due to the jumper being a state jumper and state of origin etc. State of Origin is dead, its never coming back or even if it will make a come back its not going to be for a few years yet. If the jumper was still in use today the crows wouldn't wear it at all. I would agree with all those against the wearing of the state jumper had it been at the crows first home game, but its not. Its all about the celebration of SA football. I understand those South Australians grievances who are not Port or Crows fans but fans of other clubs or just SANFL fans. However just try and understand there is no other way to honour the proud history quite like this jumper. The club is not out to offend anyone. I hope Port Adelaide wears its prison bar outfit, that would look absolutely magnificent and a fitting way to welcome back footy to Adelaide Oval.

Why would it piss us off? It's gonna be sweet smashing the crap out of you guys wearing it. Bring it on.

It looks better than your normal jumper - wouldn't have a problem with you wearing it as a clash.

Good man. Shame a few more tealsters don't wake up and see it actually backs up what they claim to believe - that it's Port v the SANFL.

The crowd won't be booing the 'state Guernsey', they'll be booing their arch rival whilst celebrating what is going to a historic match for SA footy.

Exactly. We could wear teal and they'd boo us. We could run out naked and the female Port supporters would boo us. The Port blokes would go strangely quiet and drift off.

Port "surprised" and say it's "inappropriate" statement to come soon.

Love it, getting a long is boring. Bring on the rivalry, the Showdown and interest in AFL footy in this state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have mixed feelings on this.

I do like the idea that we are celebrating OUR heritage, which is being born from the SANFL which is the 10 (Prior to WWT merger) SANFL clubs of 1990. This includes Port Adelaide. That is our heritage. It can not be disputed, and we did not need to take over an SANFL club to claim it. As the SANFL clubs, who are the SANFL gave birth to our club. We hear all about "their" heritage and how they bastardise it to make money. Yes we are bastardising the State jumper as well, with names on it and selling it at a premium. I personally don't like this aspect.

I like the "FU" attitude towards Port in wearing this jumper, coupled with Nige saying "I don't care". This is great, I love how with one action we have them in a tizz. Hearing Kochie crying about it now is gold. AS someone else said, Port have been begging the media for attention all summer and with one release we have generated far more talk and coverage than all their releases all summer.

BUT, I dont like the aspect that this move to AO could have been about our club removing itself from the SANFL. Growing up moving away from West Lakes playing at AO and becoming bigger than the SANFL in a symbolic way. The real way coming when we have the licence change. Wearing this jumper does the complete opposite. I started a thread last year about us swapping the blue for black a la our Indigenous jumper. Crows (apart from our logog) are black afterall. I bought this jumper as I loved it and loved the idea of maybe this becoming our regular jumper. If that was announced today I would be stoked right now.

A new start with a new image at our new home ground would have been awesome.

The jumper represents the history of the South Australian National Football League. We were a creation from that competition. It seems very logical that we wear that jumper to show our support, respect and appreciation for the league.

It's a bit like a grandson wearing his grand fathers medals on ANZAC day. Only an idiot would not know the grandson never fought in that war but still bitches about him wearing them. The grand son is celebrating the memories past. We are only celebrating the past SANFL games and moments that allowed us to become a club.

**** Port Adelaide. Jelly is good with a dab of ice cream.

Part of me hates this idea, part loves it. I love the fact its firing up Rooch and his Port cronies, and itll add extra spice to an already huge occasion.

The other part remembers what my old man used to say before a game against rivals..... NEVER give them anything extra to motivate themselves. I also agree the jumper should be earned by SA locals and us only.

Oh the scum are not going to like this. Oh no, not one little bit...

Even some that played for SA in the jumper or captained SA in that jumper don't like it and Leigh Matthews thought it "inappropriate".

Well done Triggy.

It's a great looking guernsey, but I'm not sure why your franchise is allowed to wear it. Would be like Collingwood wearing the big V guernsey on Anzac Day.
You'll make a lot of money and piss off a lot of port supporters so I guess that's reason enough, suprised that it got approved by the afl though.

It's a great looking guernsey, but I'm not sure why your franchise is allowed to wear it. Would be like Collingwood wearing the big V guernsey on Anzac Day.
You'll make a lot of money and piss off a lot of port supporters so I guess that's reason enough, suprised that it got approved by the afl though.

Because the Collingwood Football Club were created in the district of Collingwood and Williamstown. Not the Victorian Football Association. If Collingwood were representing the 10 Victorian clubs - they would have every right to wear the Big V jumper. We are representing the history of the SANFL. We can not argue how we were created, we were created by the 9 SANFL clubs and this is how we can show our support and appreciation to those clubs.

BTW - it's not a SOO jumper, it's a State jumper and yes victorican have worn it before, New South Welshmen have worn it before and so have Western Australians as that jumper represents the South Australian National Football League.

Collingwood have been wearing South Australia's colonial jumper since they were formed. Black and white stripes.

The current SA jumper was only adopted in 1986 BTW.

Yeah, nah. If Collingwood was established out of the VFL competition to represent their club, then yes. Seeing as they weren't, it's a no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back