The Next President and VP will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is continued in... The Aftermath

Last edited:
The biggest bit I struggle with is that one election gets run under different rules depending on which state (and sometimes county) the voter is in.

without knowing the full story, from what i understand the whole setup of the US is that all the states chose how to run their own show, the Fed govnt is only their to oversea.. basically the individual states have the power to run their state how they see fit, hence why diff states have diff laws.

It depends on the context.

Stand alone, absolutely they are not.

Compared to the cancer that is the Republican Party however, well that's a completely different matter.
Which neatly ties in with the other theme here about the Republicans accusing their opponents of whatever they themselves are most guilty of.

Jnr calling for TOTAL WAR. Bannon talking about putting heads on pikes and civil war.

The sooner these guys become irrelevant the better.

It’s so god damn irresponsible and dangerous. I’m for free speech. I usually hate all types of banning on social media, I don’t think anyone should ever get in trouble for jokes etc, no matter the subject matter.

But I’m all for shit like that Being cause for ban. I think there are a lot of idiots who can get swayed to violence in that shitty country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s very annoying isn’t it? It’s almost impossible to not be a hypocrite when you treat a f*n politician like they’re your sports team.

I genuinely think social media has poisoned human brains into become even more toxic with team mentality; so now that Trump’s Team is losing - the supporters are screaming that the umpires have given Biden a bullshit free kick in front of goal.
This.

Rick Santorum currently taking exception to someone calling a group of people with guns 'armed'. Not sure why, but there you go.
Yet an old obese man's bid to become President can be called "running"?

Fox news still swatting away conspiracy theories.... The fix is in from Murdoch....
After Trump called to him to complain Uncle Rupert had to remind him of his place - Murdoch - "Scott, Release the Hounds"

The American electoral system is now the new object of hate for Trump supporters.
A system that doesn't yield their desired result is obviously broken.
Of course it's not enough to have the EC heavily stacked in their favour... :drunk:

These guys are genuine whack jobs.

True, but it's an issue that'd needs bipartisan support, and perhaps even a constitutional amendment (to take it out of the hands of the states if they wont play along).

I think it's like their budget deficit and just gets thrown in the too hard basket, and meanwhile it just gets worse and worse. Yes, the more recent the president/congress the more of the blame they should shoulder, but ultimate it's a problem that extends back a long way and would have been easier to fix before it reached this point.

its a MUCH bigger problem than most appreciate

firstly, the issue is the constitution says that the legislature determines electoral borders and such

its why in the secretary of state in most states runs the elections. having a bi-partisan electoral commission (like for PA) is unusual, and you can literally count on one hand how many have an independent electoral commission (like the AEC)

the problem is many americans treat the constitution as a religious document, so when it says "the legislature will run elections" they interpret that literally.

Secondly you have zero change of 50 states agreeing to allow elections to be a federal power. They are MASSIVE on states rights, and the small states would fight this on the grounds that electoral processes would be dominated by the needs of NY/LA/Chicago, and not smalltown USA

Then you have Americans believing they are the masters of democracy. they believe the founding fathers are like democracy gods, and their reasoning cannot be questioned. The fact the EC was designed to get slave states to sign on to the union is ignored, and its defended as being a foundation to democratically electing a president. The fact Tuesday in November was chosen to allow farmers to vote ignores that most people now are impacted by this one move. None of this will change however because "tradition!"

Agree the language is bad, but also that his broader point about the system being broken is correct.
It’s abit late to be claiming the system is broken when they had the had the senate for 4 years and did nothing to change whatever their grievances were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back