VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

So that isn’t impacted upon by their junior footy clubs and where they have played senior footy?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope. You can be 1 point player at multiple clubs. For example my club Kew are aligned with Kew Comets Juniors so any player that played more than 50 junior games there is a 1-pointer, however a lot of those kids also attended schools like Xavier, Trinity, Marcellin, Ivanhoe etc. and qualify as 1-point players at those Old Boys clubs.

So that isn’t impacted upon by their junior footy clubs and where they have played senior footy?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The VAFA points in respect to school and uni alignments is a VAFA policy applied over the AFL PPV policy. A kid who played juniors at Hampton Rovers and also went to Brighton Grammar (for 3 or more years) qualifies as a 1 pointer for both. If he then goes on to University he can be a one-point player for that club also (Uni Blacks/Blues, Monash, Swinburne etc).

There is also an MOU arrangement with some junior leagues and clubs whereby they can also play as one pointers. I don’t really understand that so will not even try and explain it. Confused yet?

And if you're a district club with juniors stopping at U/14s?? You have about zero chance of getting 1 pointers!!
I've checked the PPA system and it is 40 games at a junior club (I previously said 50), which should be able to be achieved by U14. However, the problem of kids leaving their junior clubs during U15-U17s because their schools aren't allowing them to play is a very real problem for district clubs. It's less a problem of the kids being 1-point players and more a problem of trying to retain them in the junior club or bring them back to the senior club once they've been swept up by the Private School and then Old Boy's club.

Given a 2020 seems likely (touch wood, touch wood).. Is it everyone's understanding that all teams will remain in the same divisions as per the original fixture? Could it be possible that some clubs may not wish to play out in 2020 and therefore the fixtures may be completely different with teams etc

Given a 2020 seems likely (touch wood, touch wood).. Is it everyone's understanding that all teams will remain in the same divisions as per the original fixture? Could it be possible that some clubs may not wish to play out in 2020 and therefore the fixtures may be completely different with teams etc
Expect u19 / club XVIII / reserves men’s and women’s to be significantly affected across most clubs. You simply won’t get the same level of participation for a season running from August - October than a normal March - September year.

I can’t see the VAFA forcing clubs to play, so if some have decided not to enter, there will need to be fixture re-structuring. Lower divisions and those with university aligned sides will probably see the greatest impact.

It’s the biggest competition in the country at full operation, so working out how to run a reduced version won’t be that easy.

This has been discussed here previously. There will a handful of clubs that for a combination of reasons won’t play at all and probably a fair number who won’t enter their full compliment. VAFA is a massive beast and it will still be a be a substantial sized competition but 19s and 3rds in particular will have a reduced number of grades.

VAFA have been in constant dialogue with clubs and have had plenty of time of time to work on revised fixtures.

Expect u19 / club XVIII / reserves men’s and women’s to be significantly affected across most clubs. You simply won’t get the same level of participation for a season running from August - October than a normal March - September year.

I can’t see the VAFA forcing clubs to play, so if some have decided not to enter, there will need to be fixture re-structuring. Lower divisions and those with university aligned sides will probably see the greatest impact.

It’s the biggest competition in the country at full operation, so working out how to run a reduced version won’t be that easy.

Why would you assume clubs in lower divisions to struggle? If the season goes ahead the club I’m associated with will go from 2 sides in 2019 to 4 in 2020.(the addition of a women’s team and a thirds).

These lower division clubs are used to running off the smell of an oily rag and to be quite honest more equipped to get through this season because of it.

I think someone suggested at one stage they might need to move some teams around if clubs pull out.

My question then is, if a side went up a grade and won the premiership, what would happen to them in 2021? I’d assume if any club doesn’t field a senior side, it would be expecting to return to their usual grade next season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This seems like the season might still be up in the air.

Jgceapr.jpg

Why would you assume clubs in lower divisions to struggle? If the season goes ahead the club I’m associated with will go from 2 sides in 2019 to 4 in 2020.(the addition of a women’s team and a thirds).

These lower division clubs are used to running off the smell of an oily rag and to be quite honest more equipped to get through this season because of it.

Clubs who have left the competition in recent years, merged or had to drop grades / field club XVIII team only due to lack of numbers have tended to be in the Div 2 - 4 range.

Haven’t they?

I’m thinking Monash Gryphons, Bentleigh, SFX, Chadstone, St Johns, Point Cook......there’s a theme here.

I can’t honestly see Xavs, Trinity, Scotch, Collegians, SKOB running into the same problems can you?

If your club is able to double in size, fantastic, but I’d suggest you will be the exception which proves the rule.

Clubs who have left the competition in recent years, merged or had to drop grades / field club XVIII team only due to lack of numbers have tended to be in the Div 2 - 4 range.

Haven’t they?

I’m thinking Monash Gryphons, Bentleigh, SFX, Chadstone, St Johns, Point Cook......there’s a theme here.

I can’t honestly see Xavs, Trinity, Scotch, Collegians, SKOB running into the same problems can you?

If your club is able to double in size, fantastic, but I’d suggest you will be the exception which proves the rule.
Are you happy to see a TAC shortened season

That is beyond crazy. There are many unknown to most ‘kids’ who are far better today than those past ‘rockstars’.
But well played for having a crack.
Beyond difficult!
Merely the messenger in case you have other thoughts, Hipp.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to who the unknown kids are. Top 10 would suffice.

dont see many clubs having issues expect an influx of players from cancelled leagues. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a boost in clubbies footy

Are you happy to see a TAC shortened season
Given its bankrolled by the AFL, 6 games for boys and 3 games for the girls is clearly a positive. No NAB League program will be in debt as a result of this.

That’s my main concern with local footy - clubs getting in deeper debt to run a compromised season.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back