VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any truth to the chat VAFA will bring season forward and go directly to finals for the mens, as they did the womens? I dare say this will be considered in order to "complete the season".

Promotion/relegation is another issue to deal with

I think getting games to more players/teams is more important than a rushed finals series. For the love of the game.

You'd hate to have an ACL last year and now miss finals due to covid lockdowns if you're coming back via ressies or 19's

wonder if they'll change this rule

Attachments

• hmm.PNG
    hmm.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 137
You'd hate to have an ACL last year and now miss finals due to covid lockdowns if you're coming back via ressies or 19's

wonder if they'll change this rule
They aren't going to.

The problem you face with trying to make up games is with multiple lockdowns you cannot ever make up every game. So if they decided to play rd 8 during the bye but then we miss more games, it’s still uneven.

A blanket no make up games is at least consistent. Leagues that have tried to make up games are stuck having to switch their fixtures around every week as a new lockdown takes place.

A new policy next year might need to be we’ll play every game in order of fixture until after round 9 then missed games are cancelled. At least then everyone would play each other once in the intended order and after that it’s the latter rounds which will be lost.

So if Rd 7-9 are in lockdown, on resumption we’d start again with rd7. If Rd 11-13 are lost to lockdown then they’re simply lost and we resume at Rd 14.

It may also require a more even fixture so you don’t play the same side in rd 8 then again in Rd 11.

gonna suck for a few lads that are buying for a senior call up

or a couple of AFL victoria complaints raised
Or for a couple of players who will be looking to get qualified in the seconds

The problem you face with trying to make up games is with multiple lockdowns you cannot ever make up every game. So if they decided to play rd 8 during the bye but then we miss more games, it’s still uneven.

A blanket no make up games is at least consistent. Leagues that have tried to make up games are stuck having to switch their fixtures around every week as a new lockdown takes place.

A new policy next year might need to be we’ll play every game in order of fixture until after round 9 then missed games are cancelled. At least then everyone would play each other once in the intended order and after that it’s the latter rounds which will be lost.

So if Rd 7-9 are in lockdown, on resumption we’d start again with rd7. If Rd 11-13 are lost to lockdown then they’re simply lost and we resume at Rd 14.

It may also require a more even fixture so you don’t play the same side in rd 8 then again in Rd 11.
And then there is the added problem of the various B & F vote counts which will be held (hopefully) later this year. Round 1-7 aren't a problem, it's what will happen from Round 7 onwards that could create some issues.

And then there is the added problem of the various B & F vote counts which will be held (hopefully) later this year. Round 1-7 aren't a problem, it's what will happen from Round 7 onwards that could create some issues.
There are bigger issues than that for gods sake

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes there would be outcomes that are grossly unfair, particularly if you ended the season early which is a ridiculous suggestion. Obviously you come from a top club. How would you explain to an injury ravaged Collegians that they would be relegated on the basis of not playing fellow bottom teams including OT in the last round. Collegians if they maintain a semblance of their list would absolutely slay Premier B next year, widening gaps further. You would also tell Oakleigh and Peninsula Old Boys, bad luck, you don't get to play each other again, or Old Carey bad luck you don't get to play Fitzroy at all, nor Williamstown or Ajax. Mazenod who are probably the second or third best team in C right now and would miss finals with games against UHS(which they miss this week) OMs(who they don't play at all, and Preston too
This argument is a moot point because all clubs agreed to the Covid rules around game cancellation before the season started.

Whilst we're at it, all clubs have injuries, my club hasn't seen Mr Waite and Mr Cachia all season, very little of Mr Boyd and Mr Gleeson and vice captain Mr Holden, so don't tell me Collegians having a few injuries is the reason for them being down the bottom. The real reason is that they focus too much on high profile recruits including their coach whilst not having even one under 19 team. Their reserves are crap and so are their under 23's, they are victims of their own mismanagement.

This argument is a moot point because all clubs agreed to the Covid rules around game cancellation before the season started.

Whilst we're at it, all clubs have injuries, my club hasn't seen Mr Waite and Mr Cachia all season, very little of Mr Boyd and Mr Gleeson and vice captain Mr Holden, so don't tell me Collegians having a few injuries is the reason for them being down the bottom. The real reason is that they focus too much on high profile recruits including their coach whilst not having even one under 19 team. Their reserves are crap and so are their under 23's, they are victims of their own mismanagement.
I thought you were from Kew

With everything going on, the situation concerning B & F counts and awards is so low on the priority it is not worth mentioning.

That would be interesting.

Aside from the SANFL up until recently, I don’t recall any lower leagues playing beyond the end of the AFL season.
The VAFA would have to ask AFL Victoria, Cricket Victoria, the various local councils and the Vic Health authorities if it would be OK for the VAFA season to be extended into October due to the lockdowns. I think the VAFA would go straight into the finals once the lockdown is lifted so as not to clash with the start of the cricket season.

Read a fair bit of commentary on here re the Kew/Aitken issue...a couple of comments
- those assuming Kew players involved in the unauthorised training session for Kew FC are making assumptions that may or may not be valid...the video provides no sure evidence either way
- However....I have personally observed the coach concerned running regular private training sessions for 4-8 participants on multiple occasions at a local Eastern Suburbs oval throughout the 2020 lockdown...clearly with under age participants (most likely) unaffiliated with Kew FC.

So, if you have a problem, direct your ire towards the individual coach who relies on private footy coaching for his living..its totally not a Kew FC issue...,and frankly other than living near the Kew FC ground, I have zero affiliation with them whatsoever

Read a fair bit of commentary on here re the Kew/Aitken issue...a couple of comments
- those assuming Kew players involved in the unauthorised training session for Kew FC are making assumptions that may or may not be valid...the video provides no sure evidence either way
- However....I have personally observed the coach concerned running regular private training sessions for 4-8 participants on multiple occasions at a local Eastern Suburbs oval throughout the 2020 lockdown...clearly with under age participants (most likely) unaffiliated with Kew FC.

So, if you have a problem, direct your ire towards the individual coach who relies on private footy coaching for his living..its totally not a Kew FC issue...,and frankly other than living near the Kew FC ground, I have zero affiliation with them whatsoever
But that's all good , but clearly there are Kew players there with that ####

The VAFA would have to ask AFL Victoria, Cricket Victoria, the various local councils and the Vic Health authorities if it would be OK for the VAFA season to be extended into October due to the lockdowns. I think the VAFA would go straight into the finals once the lockdown is lifted so as not to clash with the start of the cricket season.
Sadly. I think the entire local footy season is done and dusted. We recorded 29 cases today, all in the community whilst infectious.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back