VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

From reading this.

• Volunteers are going to appear out of thin air
  • The 19's will magically have a connection to the senior club because they may get paid
  • By selling a few beers on a Saturday large a crowd will attend for the atmosphere and create a social hub???

Greg states it will create "new opportunities for a sustainable and viable future", I hope it does for his club. The club sounds like it's on the verge of folding (I don't want to see any club fold), and if a change in scenery is what gets it done then more power to BT, I just can't see it.
1. You don’t need as many volunteer’s being pretend umpires

2. Absolutely the connection will be better because kids won’t be poached by rival paying clubs and actually be excited by playing in the EFNL

3. Absolutely. VAFA attendance is poor compared to other leagues where you are allowed a beer. People attend to catch up with mates have a beer and a yarn.

BT could be a great club with their strong junior club. It’s a no brainer

You tell me who's been successful? What measures success?

Were any of the clubs you have listed in the dire straights that BT (based on the e-mail) seem to be?
My club was, now we field 5 senior sides with 2 19s and a women’s. We would have folded as couldn’t get kids in the doors due to local clubs poaching.

Success is measured by being able to get people in the door - supporters, sponsorship, being relevant in the local area, etc

I find it interesting that the negative comments are from people who have never been through what these clubs have been through

Last edited:
From reading this.

• Volunteers are going to appear out of thin air
  • The 19's will magically have a connection to the senior club because they may get paid
  • By selling a few beers on a Saturday large a crowd will attend for the atmosphere and create a social hub???

Greg states it will create "new opportunities for a sustainable and viable future", I hope it does for his club. The club sounds like it's on the verge of folding (I don't want to see any club fold), and if a change in scenery is what gets it done then more power to BT, I just can't see it.
Every time a club has left the same comments come up, how will they survive. What club are you involved with GY??

1. You don’t need as many volunteer’s being pretend umpires

2. Absolutely the connection will be better because kids won’t be poached by rival paying clubs and actually be excited by playing in the EFNL

3. Absolutely. VAFA attendance is poor compared to other leagues where you are allowed a beer. People attend to catch up with mates have a beer and a yarn.

BT could be a great club with their strong junior club. It’s a no brainer
My take on this post...
The EFNL is only league kids get excited about playing in...
Kids leaving one EFNL club and joining another EFNL club never happens...
The only way to catch up with mates is to have a beer at the footy...(I actually agree this needs to be changed)
BT with the exact same junior club connection it currently has could only be a great club in the EFNL...
FFS!!!

I was on a cricket club committee years ago where at a meeting the president asked for each member's thoughts on whether the club should fold immediately or not. It was a chilling statement coming from his mouth and it was an equally chilling discussion.

Clubs need to try everything in their power to improve their lot. This decision would not have been made lightly but realistically it had to be done.

Kudos to the committee for making the decision and as you can read from Greg's statement it would have been a tough process for him and wasn't decided upon a whim.

However, a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result.

It's time for my junior footy club to be strong and bold, just like their song says. Good luck, Bullants.

My take on this post...
The EFNL is only league kids get excited about playing in...
Kids leaving one EFNL club and joining another EFNL club never happens...
The only way to catch up with mates is to have a beer at the footy...(I actually agree this needs to be changed)
BT with the exact same junior club connection it currently has could only be a great club in the EFNL...
FFS!!!
Nothing is guaranteed but you have far more control over your destiny in a semi pro league compared to the VAFA.

Appeal to play in the VAFA… outside private school circles is almost non existent in areas away from the city.

Ivanhoe, Parade and Old Eltham people will tell you the same. Kids don’t want to play in the VAFA in these areas

The connection point is a good one, it’s very hard on clubs and volunteers having your teams playing at 3 different venues at the same time.

How the VAFA could fix this is the unknown with no consistency between clubs having thirds and u/19s.

In the EFL their u/19s will be at the same ground as the reserves and seniors every week
Not 100% true. They have different divisions for u19s now. Maybe every 2nd week @ home, but not 100% of the time away

This season will be the second consecutive year that we financially run at a loss

How do they hope to spend up to $60K on player payment next year?

This is where I'm concerned for them. Add in new shorts, socks and Guernseys for every player with EFL branding, unless they want the players to pay for those on top of probably higher player fees

But understand its now or never for them, do or die. Going down to D3 next year would've made them a hell of a lot more competitive then they have been last 5 years. But the way things are going they could have easily died off.

Ivanhoe, Parade and Old Eltham people will tell you the same. Kids don’t want to play in the VAFA in these areas

You can even add in Banyule as well from the area.

I reckon we wish them the best of luck and see how they go in the EFNL.

They may do a Parkside and come back after realising that moving wasn't for them (but at least they gave it a chance). They could do an Old Eltham and be competitive at the bottom tier or else do a Thomastown or Banyule and climb higher.

Better to do that than just hope the juniors transition to seniors. The younger generation are wired a little differently nowadays in terms of motivations compared to some of us in here making the statements.

It's a massive call by Greg and the current committee, but this guy has always given his all for BT and as you can read, it comes with him honestly feeling like they have no other option.

Our club felt the same when we had to make a VERY difficult decision. I aslo agree, as some have said on here that NOTHING is guaranteed - and they are right. But when long standing VAFA legends (and Greg is that) think his beloved club is cooked if they stay, then you TRY anything else.

I wish them all the very best and hope that this gives them an opportunity to not only survive, but grow and then thrive. If not and they look to return at some stage like Parkside (who are flying now - well done), then so be it.

Good luck to all involved, it's a courageous and bold move and I wish them well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a massive call by Greg and the current committee, but this guy has always given his all for BT and as you can read, it comes with him honestly feeling like they have no other option.

Our club felt the same when we had to make a VERY difficult decision. I aslo agree, as some have said on here that NOTHING is guaranteed - and they are right. But when long standing VAFA legends (and Greg is that) think his beloved club is cooked if they stay, then you TRY anything else.

I wish them all the very best and hope that this gives them an opportunity to not only survive, but grow and then thrive. If not and they look to return at some stage like Parkside (who are flying now - well done), then so be it.

Good luck to all involved, it's a courageous and bold move and I wish them well.
Very sad to see. I remember 2 past players - Dean Matthews and Bomber James 2 absolute guns!!!

VAFA has only themselves to blame. Have allowed old school clubs to have too many teams and have been very selective on how they apply the rules.

All the recent posts regarding teams choosing to change leagues are spot on.

Geography plays a big part, viz Northern suburbs and country leagues, eastern, southern, and southeastern suburbs. Clubs are constantly moving due to their current circumstances, which are varied.

Clubs in the Ballarat, Riddell, Essendon, and Western Region are considering moving to a competition that better aligns with their current club demographic. This demographic, which has changed and will continue to change over time, is a significant factor in these clubs' decisions.

The desire for a more robust competition is a key driver in many clubs' decisions to change leagues. Many clubs aspire to play in a more competitive league, while others feel the pressure of a lack of improvement if they can’t find a more suitable competition.

Cultural and historically influential factors make it heartwrenching for teams like Ivanhoe and Old Paradians to consider jumping ship.

Some clubs join the Ammos, some successful and others not.

Some clubs leave the Ammos, some successful and others not.

It can depend on current personnel, 'Club Culture and Mindset', changeable over time due to suburb gentrification, town planning, or industrialization.

We are all aware of those who have left and recent VAFA inductees.

We are also aware of those who are successful and others who are not.

Club personnel have their clubs in their hearts, looking for a future and positive pathway for their clubs.

Geography plays a big part, viz Northern suburbs and country leagues, eastern, southern, and southeastern suburbs. Clubs are constantly moving due to their current circumstances, which are varied.

Clubs in the Ballarat, Riddell, Essendon, and Western Region are considering moving to a competition that better aligns with their current club demographic. This demographic, which has changed and will continue to change over time, is a significant factor in these clubs' decisions.

The desire for a more robust competition is a key driver in many clubs' decisions to change leagues. Many clubs aspire to play in a more competitive league, while others feel the pressure of a lack of improvement if they can’t find a more suitable competition.

Cultural and historically influential factors make it heartwrenching for teams like Ivanhoe and Old Paradians to consider jumping ship.

It can depend on current personnel, 'Club Culture and Mindset', changeable over time due to suburb gentrification, town planning, or industrialization.

Club personnel have their clubs in their hearts, looking for a future and positive pathway for their clubs.
Regional footy is the answer

What level would you start regionalisation? Division 1 or maybe even at C Section?

I remember when they had E East, E Central and E South for a short time but it didn't seem that popular at the time.
Now it may be a realistic way to stop some of the lower clubs from moving leagues.

To be fair, boundaries need to be re-set for a fair few leagues throughout the state, but the AFL Victoria shows little interest in running the game at grassroots level.

Last edited:
The VAFA divisions are dying of a slow and painful death. Disinterest from head office will see more divisional clubs search for better fitting local competitions in the next few years.
What do you propose VAFA HQ do, I’d like to know what you propose?

Currently, every club has the same opportunity to become successful, the two up and two down system means 40% of clubs move each section- division each year, excepting the top and lowest section-division.

That’s a pretty good turnover IMHO, a lot better than one up and one down in other competitions.

An interesting point that was made about BT was that they have zero relationship with their junior club, the question that must be answered is why? That to me, as an outsider, should be the first thing that’s fixed, if possible. Otherwise changing competitions may not make any difference, except they have to raise a shit tonne more cash to survive in a paid competition.

The other possibility could be another merger, either with a VAFA club or an EFNL club.

It’s also interesting that the VAFA is supposedly in crisis with all these clubs leaving. But every league has the same issues. The EFL might gain a new club, but there at least 3-4 clubs on the brink of total collapse.

Some of these leagues have probably simply grown too large for their own good and women’s footy helps fill the void for league making money and some senior men’s teams are going to be the casualties.

It’s also interesting that the VAFA is supposedly in crisis with all these clubs leaving. But every league has the same issues. The EFL might gain a new club, but there at least 3-4 clubs on the brink of total collapse.

Some of these leagues have probably simply grown too large for their own good and women’s footy helps fill the void for league making money and some senior men’s teams are going to be the casualties.
Clubs come; clubs go.
Below you will find my quick (and I mean quick) research of clubs which have left the Ammo family over the past 15/20 years.

Few have been successful. Most have struggled.
To be competitive in their new competitions, players must be paid.
Now those struggling clubs are raising money to pay their mercenaries. Hasn't helped. Still battling and getting nowhere.
Come back and relieve the pressure.

Clubs that have left recently: -

Southern FL

Div 1. Bentleigh 8th

Div 2. Doveton Doves 2nd

Div 4. Doveton Eagles 7th

Not sure which one was in the Ammos -

wore a brown guernsey.

Div 3. South Mornington 6th

Div 4. Clayton 6th

Merged with Waverley VFA

Essendon FL

Div 2. Rupertswood 10th

Div 3. Northern Saints 4th

Fawkner AFC merged w Fawkner YCW

Western Region FL

Div 1. Werribee Districts 1st

Point Cook 9th

Div 2. Suns 5th

An offshoot of Westbournes’s implosion

Albanvale 6th

Eastern FL

Div 2. Waverley Blues 2nd

Div 4. Chirnside Park 2nd

Mt Lilydale Old Collegians 5th

Merged w North Croydon

Chirnside Park 2nd

Northern FL

Div 1. Banyule 5th

Div 2. Thomastown 5th

St Mary’s 6th

Div 3. Old Paradians 2nd

Old Eltham Collegians 4th

Ivanhoe 6th

Yarra Valley Mountain District FL

Premier Boronia Park Evaporated

An adjunct to my previous post: -

Southern FL

Div 1. Bentleigh 8th

Div 2. Doveton Doves 2nd

wore a brown guernsey.

Div 4. Clayton 6th

Merged with Waverley VFA

Essendon FL

Div 2. Rupertswood 10th

Western Region FL

Point Cook 9th

Div 2. Suns 5th

Albanvale 6th

Eastern FL

Merged w North Croydon

Chirnside Park 2nd

Northern FL

Div 1. Banyule 5th

Div 2. Thomastown 5th

St Mary’s 6th

Div 3. Old Paradians 2nd

Ivanhoe 6th

Clubs come; clubs go.
Below you will find my quick (and I mean quick) research of clubs which have left the Ammo family over the past 15/20 years.

Few have been successful. Most have struggled.
To be competitive in their new competitions, players must be paid.
Now those struggling clubs are raising money to pay their mercenaries. Hasn't helped. Still battling and getting nowhere.
Come back and relieve the pressure.

Southern FL

Div 1. Bentleigh 8th

Div 2. Doveton Doves 2nd

wore a brown guernsey.

Div 4. Clayton 6th

Merged with Waverley VFA

Essendon FL

Div 2. Rupertswood 10th

Western Region FL

Point Cook 9th

Div 2. Suns 5th

Albanvale 6th

Eastern FL

Merged w North Croydon

Chirnside Park 2nd

Northern FL

Div 1. Banyule 5th

Div 2. Thomastown 5th

St Mary’s 6th

Div 3. Old Paradians 2nd

Ivanhoe 6th

An adjunct to my previous post: -

Southern FL

Div 1. Bentleigh 8th

Div 2. Doveton Doves 2nd

wore a brown guernsey.

Div 4. Clayton 6th

Merged with Waverley VFA

Essendon FL

Div 2. Rupertswood 10th

Western Region FL

Point Cook 9th

Div 2. Suns 5th

Albanvale 6th

Eastern FL

Merged w North Croydon

Chirnside Park 2nd

Northern FL

Div 1. Banyule 5th

Div 2. Thomastown 5th

St Mary’s 6th

Div 3. Old Paradians 2nd

Ivanhoe 6th

Small snapshot of 1 year. Nearly all have come from D3 and D4 VAFA where they were struggling anyway. They are successful as they are still fielding teams. Be interested to do a full look at each club and what they have done since leaving.

Point Cook were in D3 VAFA and made it to D1 WRL

St Mary’s were never in the VAFA, that’s the Glen Iris team you are thinking of.

Of the 21 sides, 17 are still viable, 3 merged and 1 has folded. 18 were district sides.

Gives an understanding of the plight of district sides especially in the lower grades of VAFA

Waverley Blues have never been in the VAFA and not sure either Doveton is the one that played VAFA but if either would be the Eagles.
Regardless I agree on the previous poster most are still running around the park on a Saturday so that is a success in itself

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back