VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s also interesting that the VAFA is supposedly in crisis with all these clubs leaving. But every league has the same issues. The EFL might gain a new club, but there at least 3-4 clubs on the brink of total collapse.

Some of these leagues have probably simply grown too large for their own good and women’s footy helps fill the void for league making money and some senior men’s teams are going to be the casualties.

There is also a few VAFA clubs who appear on struggle street. We're talking sides forfeiting Prem B ressies through to largely non competitive clubs in Divvy 3 (there used to be Div 4). The CEO will congratulate the Xavs on another successful thirds campaign yet probably hasn't been to a Divvy 3 game of footy. VAFA is headed towards being a south of the yarra competion of school and uni teams unless there are changes.

I've watched a fair bit of footy at both Point Cook and Werribee both pre and post VAFA. Definitely more people attending both since joining the WFNL, local rivalries developing and opposition supporters from nearby are boosting the number of people attending. People having a beer, including the reserves players enjoying the time with their team mates, have never seen a problem at either.

Both travelled a lot, PC were going to South Mornington, Eltham and Lilydale all long, tough drives from PC. Interestingly, all those have left the VAFA too.

I think geography plays a big part in district clubs leaving the VAFA, particularly those from outer suburbs, along with petrol at $2+ per litre and general cost of living pressures. Both were also losing a lot of players and juniors to other local clubs paying a few bucks.

Last edited:

I am pretty sure that a different Clayton merged with Waverley VFA to become Waverley who merged with Mt Waverley-Burwood to become Waverley Blues.

You’re right mortlock. Clayton ammos merged with remnants of Waverley vfa - they are now Waverley blues. Clayton clays have been federal league/sesfl/efnl and now back to southern and in massive free fall.

Dovey doves were never ammos either - that was dovey eagles

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I am pretty sure that a different Clayton merged with Waverley VFA to become Waverley who merged with Mt Waverley-Burwood to become Waverley Blues.

You are magnificently correct; sorry I just took a shortcut, however I did say that my research, (which took around 2 hours) was short and that mistakes could be forthcoming.
Regarding St Mary's, there was a St Mary's in the VAFA at one stage
Not 100% true. They have different divisions for u19s now. Maybe every 2nd week @ home, but not 100% of the time away
Clubs need to organize dedicated personnel for each team.
Willi CYs have 8 teams, Seniors + Reserves, Girls 1 + 2, U19s 1+2, plus 2 X Thirds sides.
The local council allows a maximum of 2 games on their ovals each weekend.
Fortunately, the Club has 2 ovals available that will allow 4 teams to play home games, but there are still 4 teams playing all over the metro area. There have been times when the fixture has had all 8 teams playing away on the same day.
If a club is organized, there shouldn't be any problems. All teams, everywhere, have parents, siblings, and players' friends, many of whom only have to be asked to lend a hand.
It works!
If a club has too many teams to organise, then 'cull'.
Small snapshot of 1 year. Nearly all have come from D3 and D4 VAFA where they were struggling anyway. They are successful as they are still fielding teams. Be interested to do a full look at each club and what they have done since leaving.

Point Cook were in D3 VAFA and made it to D1 WRL

St Mary’s were never in the VAFA, that’s the Glen Iris team you are thinking of.

Of the 21 sides, 17 are still viable, 3 merged and 1 has folded. 18 were district sides.

Gives an understanding of the plight of district sides especially in the lower grades of VAFA
There was a St Mary’s team in the Ammos. For a while I thought I was going crazy (army service et al), but I can remember the Willi CYs playing against a ‘St Mary’s’.

Both St Mary’s and Salesian disbanded in 2007, joined forces, and regrouped as St Mary’s Salesian for the 2008 season.

So, OT, neither of us is incorrect.
My club was, now we field 5 senior sides with 2 19s and a women’s. We would have folded as couldn’t get kids in the doors due to local clubs poaching.

Success is measured by being able to get people in the door - supporters, sponsorship, being relevant in the local area, etc

I find it interesting that the negative comments are from people who have never been through what these clubs have been through

I've seen these posts about Bulleen-Templestowe and can see that the president, committee and sub-committee at that club have done some serious work in seeing what is the best way forward for that football club and good on them.

Can I also just say this as a former player and long time committee member at an A grade club is that I really sympathise with committee members at lower levels, but please do not think that because a club is in A grade that they have scores of volunteers putting their hands up to jump on the committee and help out around the place, that is far less common than people think. It is hard running a footy club, by volunteers, at any level, whether A grade VAFA, D2 VAFA or division three or four EFNL. That problem won't go away, but if more people are happy to chip in now that Bulleen-Templestowe want to play in the eastern league, I say all power to them.

I can say this from conversations with many other committee members that at most clubs it is left up to far too few to do a lot of the grunt work. None of this is helped by the fact you will have one person at least (sometimes two) asking players to re-register every season. It is a complete waste of volunteer resources in my view and just burns people out. There is nothing worse than having to chase some disinterested 20 something year old who is in his 8th or 9th year at the club to fill in the annual registration form so he can be registered. It is a sheer nightmare.

I also agree that VAFA games are relatively poorly attended. I can recall being at the second semi-final in A grade last year between Collegians and Uni Blues, and being shell shocked that there were no more than 50-60 Colleigans people (most of whom are there every week) behind the goals in the last quarter as we clinched victory from the jaws of defeat against Uni Blues, who equally a very small contingent there that day. Now, I compare that to a couple of EFNL top grade grand finals that I've been to (albeit almost 15 years ago now) and ones I've seen livestreamed, the place is heaving with people, they have traffic controllers directing traffic all day, and it seems the entire suburb comes out to watch these big finals and grand finals.

I just want to wrap in saying that it is very hard for clubs to continue to run and operate at all levels, and I'm just hoping that younger generations (I'm not that old either) decide that volunteering on committees is worth their time (it is in my view and I wouldn't change it) otherwise more clubs will be in strife.

I've seen these posts about Bulleen-Templestowe and can see that the president, committee and sub-committee at that club have done some serious work in seeing what is the best way forward for that football club and good on them.

Can I also just say this as a former player and long time committee member at an A grade club is that I really sympathise with committee members at lower levels, but please do not think that because a club is in A grade that they have scores of volunteers putting their hands up to jump on the committee and help out around the place, that is far less common than people think. It is hard running a footy club, by volunteers, at any level, whether A grade VAFA, D2 VAFA or division three or four EFNL. That problem won't go away, but if more people are happy to chip in now that Bulleen-Templestowe want to play in the eastern league, I say all power to them.

I can say this from conversations with many other committee members that at most clubs it is left up to far too few to do a lot of the grunt work. None of this is helped by the fact you will have one person at least (sometimes two) asking players to re-register every season. It is a complete waste of volunteer resources in my view and just burns people out. There is nothing worse than having to chase some disinterested 20 something year old who is in his 8th or 9th year at the club to fill in the annual registration form so he can be registered. It is a sheer nightmare.

I also agree that VAFA games are relatively poorly attended. I can recall being at the second semi-final in A grade last year between Collegians and Uni Blues, and being shell shocked that there were no more than 50-60 Colleigans people (most of whom are there every week) behind the goals in the last quarter as we clinched victory from the jaws of defeat against Uni Blues, who equally a very small contingent there that day. Now, I compare that to a couple of EFNL top grade grand finals that I've been to (albeit almost 15 years ago now) and ones I've seen livestreamed, the place is heaving with people, they have traffic controllers directing traffic all day, and it seems the entire suburb comes out to watch these big finals and grand finals.

I just want to wrap in saying that it is very hard for clubs to continue to run and operate at all levels, and I'm just hoping that younger generations (I'm not that old either) decide that volunteering on committees is worth their time (it is in my view and I wouldn't change it) otherwise more clubs will be in strife.
I really like the point about re-registration each year. If the default position is you were registered last year so that continues on with the club. It would slice the administration time of the secretary/ footy manager / coach or all of the above significantly.

If the VAFA is concerned around governance they could submit a report to each club once a year. Where they confirm who will be playing in the year ahead A once off activity is far better scrambling coming into Round 1.

The logical extension is to include player points values for the season ahead in this manifest. In an effort to further streamline the amount of work needed to be done.

Well said Mike. Could never understand why a perennially successful club like yours has such a small supporter base. However finals involving Xavs, SKOB, Ajax, St Bernards, Fitzroy, De La, St Bedes and others can attract decent crowds. EP is such a soul less place and matches at Box Hill, Trevor Barker etc are much better attended.

This inference that all school-based clubs have an automatic leg up is ridiculous. Sure some of the big APS schools are entrenched at the top end but if you look through the grades and indeed recent history you will see plenty of school based clubs occupying the lower grades and plenty who have been forced to merge, move or in some cases completely disappear. Haileybury and Caulfield Grammar are two of the biggest schools in the state. They hand out scholarships like confetti, yet both have recently forfeited B grade reserves matches.

Plenty of clubs leave the VAFA and flourish while other’s flounder. Some come back, while some fold. Seems those who have gone to the NFL in recent years are doing well and all power to them. Good luck to Bullen Temp. I think it is a good move for them, but they might find the going tough trying to match finances with some of the big dogs.

The VAFA is not perfect but all in all it's a decent comp. But it’s not for everyone. We are in different times, and I agree that we may well be moving to a south of the Yarra competition with a few inner Nth/West clubs thrown in. For an U19 player, the cost of petrol is prohibitive and there is far less inclination these days to travel.

And I agree the re-registration process is farce and puts an unreasonable expectation on already overworked and undervalued volunteers. Could very easily just rollover the seasons registrations into the next and just deal with those transferring in and out.

Last edited:
Nothing is guaranteed but you have far more control over your destiny in a semi pro league compared to the VAFA.

Appeal to play in the VAFA… outside private school circles is almost non existent in areas away from the city.

Ivanhoe, Parade and Old Eltham people will tell you the same. Kids don’t want to play in the VAFA in these areas
A short anecdote and observation from a year in the NFNL. One of our reasons for leaving the VAFA for the NFNL was a point of relevance. Our Club sadly had lost it in the local area. As a committee member for 10 years, believe me it wasn't for lack of trying.

Our Under 19s played Diamond Creek in a night match early in the year. The DC boys ran out and did their lap of the square. Our boys ran out (to probably the biggest crowd they played in front of at an away game it must be said) and ran right next to, and some straight into the the DC boys as they came around. Now this is not something I'd necessarily condone, but it ended up being quite funny. Ours were sledging them, and they were sledging us. The key difference was that they knew who they were sledging. "You're gone tonight Smithy", "Come on Jonesy, have a crack". These guys are mates playing each other. Social mates, sometimes mates in the same class, sometimes ex-junior teammates. I'd wager in every game this year our guys knew at least one other on the opposition. They now enjoy the challenge of playing genuine local footy each week. They love playing with each other, but now there's the added benefit of playing against people they know.

This is not to pot the VAFA. We've never said we didn't like the VAFA, but try encouraging a quality young player to your club, in NFNL heartland to play in a comp they don't know, in suburbs they don't know, at 920am. Sure there are anomalies out there, but so far it has worked for us. Parents of our junior club are now also keen to see their boy continue through to us because we're in the NFNL. There was some reluctance before, and a preference to send them to other local clubs. Now we're a more attractive proposition.

As always time will tell, but it looks and sounds like BT have tried everything we have in the recent past and i wish them well in this endeavour.

Who forfeited their last game of the season on the weekend.

Wasn’t Beaumaris was it . Someone posted a few weeks ago that they’re looking at Southern , that might start an exodus of a few disgruntled clubs that can see no hope of ever getting to A .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t Beaumaris was it . Someone posted a few weeks ago that they’re looking at Southern , that might start an exodus of a few disgruntled clubs that can see no hope of ever getting to A .

Beaumaris did not forfeit, and they are not looking at the going to the SFNL. In regard to ‘no hope of ever getting to A'. That comment is not really applicable to Beaumaris. They have been there twice in the last decade and for much of last season were well placed to be playing there again in 2024. Lost a prelim they were probably expected to win, and the rest is history.

Beaumaris did not forfeit, and they are not looking at the going to the SFNL. In regard to ‘no hope of ever getting to A'. That comment is not really applicable to Beaumaris. They have been there twice in the last decade and for much of last season were well placed to be playing there again in 2024. Lost a prelim they were probably expected to win, and the rest is history.

They have the biggest junior set up and are going backwards, players being poached for cash , not next year , maybe the year after .

They have the biggest junior set up and are going backwards, players being poached for cash , not next year , maybe the year after .

Yep, maybe the year after, or the year after that. But I would suggest the player drain is not so much about money or frustration at not being able to reach A grade. Have a look at the clearance pages and the extraordinary volume of players into the club in the pre-season. They started with 3 senior teams with players still missing out on a game, so it seems they did not get touched up by too badly by the paying comps in the off season. May not be the case now as there is clearly some unrest at the Sharks. By the back end of the year they had to forfeit a 2s game. Granted that June and July can throw up some challenges with travel etc but that is a lot of players to drop off.

SFNL might be a good fit for them with some local rivalries so it might happen one day.

Last edited:
IIRC beauy left in the 90s due to the rep the sesfl/sfl had then - lots of ‘hard’ footy and they believed at the time the ammos would be more favorable for junior retention. I may be wrong….

Fact is sfl (at least the top end) has improved as a comp and in standard. Always tempting with the local element, plus beers and crowd. Beauy could also help bedders get his southern bayside comp up and about

Yep, maybe the year after, or the year after that. But I would suggest the player drain is not so much about money or frustration at not being able to reach A grade. Have a look at the clearance pages and the extraordinary volume of players into the club in the pre-season. They started with 3 senior teams with players still missing out on a game, so it seems they did not get touched up by too badly by the paying comps in the off season. May not be the case now as there is clearly some unrest at the Sharks. By the back end of the year they had to forfeit a 2s game. Granted that June and July can throw up some challenges with travel etc but that is a lot of players to drop off.

SFNL might be a good fit for them with some local rivalries so it might happen one day.
There’s more chance of Masala getting to Premier section than Beaumaris leaving the VAFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back