VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Was anyone at the U/19 Div 2 GF yesterday at La Trobe?

Free kick and 50m penalty after the siren to allow Uni Blues to kick the match winning goal and walk away with a 1 point win.
Yeah. Sucks for the Wellers but it was the right decision

Scott Selwood back in the black & white in 2025...but for Wicky-Bolac in the Mininera DFL.

FWIW is it really? Trip was there but surely a practical approach is to tell them to get back off the ground and not pay the 50. It wasn’t like the player was up and ready to have a shot. Siren went as the free was paid, very unlucky for the Wellers.
I know one of their players pretty well. I wanted them to win. I'd have paid the 50

Yeah. Sucks for the Wellers but it was the right decision
Just watched the last 10 minutes and as a neutral I disagree. As entirely expected in close GF there were chaotic scenes when the siren went, particularly taking into account that the siren may or may not have gone before the free was paid. Common sense would dictate that you just tell everyone that the match is not over and to get off the ground. Over officiating and a lack of game awareness which resulted in the wrong team winning. Umpire intervention to that extent in those circumstances should not dictate the result of a GF. There was another 50 m paid not long before that resulting in a UB goal that was questionable at best. Just my view and appreciate others might have a different opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the last 10 minutes and as a neutral I disagree. As entirely expected in close GF there were chaotic scenes when the siren went, particularly taking into account that the siren may or may not have gone before the free was paid. Common sense would dictate that you just tell everyone that the match is not over and to get off the ground. Over officiating and a lack of game awareness which resulted in the wrong team winning. Umpire intervention to that extent in those circumstances should not dictate the result of a GF. There was another 50 m paid not long before that resulting in a UB goal that was questionable at best. Just my view and appreciate others might have a different opinion.
I agree. Should have been a free from 70m. Common sense should be used. Was far more stiff to lose from the 50m penalty than lose by not getting the 50m penalty

I agree. Should have been a free from 70m. Common sense should be used. Was far more stiff to lose from the 50m penalty than lose by not getting the 50m penalty
Couple of umpires who more or less got together and thought here’s our chance to decide a Grand Final.

Whole season comes down to them. Unbelievably disappointing.

OC have protested the result given that the umpire lifted both arms to signal the end of the game before anyone even ran onto the ground.

Couple of umpires who more or less got together and thought here’s our chance to decide a Grand Final.

OC have protested the result given that the umpire lifted both arms to signal the end of the game before anyone even ran onto the ground.
Watching the footage you are correct. He raises his arms then hands the free to the oppo.

Unfortunately to many umpires wants to make huge calls for some reason. We see it in the AFL

The rules are pretty clear

(b) For the avoidance of doubt, if immediately before hearing the siren to end aquarter, a field Umpire is of the opinion that a Player should be awarded a FreeKick or a Mark, the field Umpire shall signal that play has come to an end and thenaward the Free Kick or Mark to the Player. A Free Kick will not be awarded wherethe football has been kicked and, after the field Umpire has heard the siren,lands Out of Bounds On the Full.

They have no case

Last edited:

Rule 10.5 umpire has to signal end of game and can then signal for the free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back