A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be very intriguing few weeks with our boys up against Carey and Trinity to see who stays up.

What would it take for VAFA headquarters to change relegation/promotion like SFL & EFL where only one team goes up and one down.

How many times do you see runners up drop straight back down again the next year due to not being as competitive.

It would certainly make the B grade GF very competitive indeed (not that they arent now) , with only the winner going up.
It would be a battle to the bitter end for sure.

Going to be very intriguing few weeks with our boys up against Carey and Trinity to see who stays up.

What would it take for VAFA headquarters to change relegation/promotion like SFL & EFL where only one team goes up and one down.

How many times do you see runners up drop straight back down again the next year due to not being as competitive.

I love the 2 up- 2 down, wish the EFL followed suit. So often see the same team clinging onto 2nd last and avoiding the drop year after year and at the other end, a team falling short on GF day year after year.

Great conditions predicted for Saturday so should be good footy on show...
Collegians by 42 Points
OX by 15 Points
OT by 9 Points
UB by 70 Points
SKOB by 57 Points

We had a strong discussion today on the podcast on players coming into the competition, winning a Premiership in their first year and then leaving to go elsewhere

What do you guys think? I said I don't like the look of it.

I wasn't talking about a specific player or players or club.

I just don't like the look at any club in any competition of players who come to a club, part of the flag win in the first season & then leave to go play elsewhere and chase success

We had a strong discussion today on the podcast on players coming into the competition, winning a Premiership in their first year and then leaving to go elsewhere

What do you guys think? I said I don't like the look of it.

It’s goes with what I was saying about promoting 2 up from grand final. I would imagine that team that wins, players most likely head to other clubs! Some players need to change year on year for motivation or most likely some promises they made.
I do really admire the one club players like Macca at De la (300 games) including supers!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carey are awful. You will beat them. Will come down to OT and your home game against Bernards. Need to win those I’d say.

I just don't like the look at any club in any competition of players who come to a club, part of the flag win in the first season & then leave to go play elsewhere and chase success
Why not start with the 2015 Bernards premiership side Joe? Some big departures in 2016. Chasing cash some were. Not success. It’s local footy and every players motivation is different. I think placing unfair expectations on players to be loyal because you have some romantic notion of that term is unrealistic and unfair. Play on.

Who cares about the players? I would bring in a crack SS Panzer division for a year if I thought it could win a flag. It is all about being able to big it up about my club on BigFooty.

Why not start with the 2015 Bernards premiership side Joe? Some big departures in 2016. Chasing cash some were. Not success. It’s local footy and every players motivation is different. I think placing unfair expectations on players to be loyal because you have some romantic notion of that term is unrealistic and unfair. Play on.

I assume the players you speak of were all first year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was no set agenda by myself or Brian, it came up in the flow of a conversation, I don't have a single player in mind, nor do I have a club.

The 2015 premiership side from memory did not have players recruited in for that 1 season, St Bernard's were a preliminary finalist side in 2014 and there was an exodus of players after the Premiership - 2 have since come back, 2 were drafted into the AFL, retirements happen as well

2018 B grade premiership side. St Bernards. Lured Chad Jones out of retirement. After he was instrumental to their A grade flag. He retired after 2015. Returns for 2018. He kicks 100+ goals, plays a blinder in the first half of the GF and is key to that flag. He then retires again. Thoughts Joe?

There was no set agenda by myself or Brian, it came up in the flow of a conversation, I don't have a single player in mind, nor do I have a club.

The 2015 premiership side from memory did not have players recruited in for that 1 season, St Bernard's were a preliminary finalist side in 2014 and there was an exodus of players after the Premiership - 2 have since come back, 2 were drafted into the AFL, retirements happen as well
1 year wonders have been around since Noah played that big one-off game in the wet. Can think of plenty.

It would be hard to find an old big wig at any club in Premier that would take player loyalty over winning a flag with a few blokes who are only there for a season and various incentives. It is genuinely all about letting the rest of the comp know you are the current Premiers and no pot shots at your list is going to change that. Pointy end of this year will be interesting, SKOBAFL with mostly home grown talent (which is worthy of praise) compared to UNIAFL... OXAFL and Collegians somewhere in the middle ground. As soon as the season is over, it’ll be straight to recruiting whoever fits in the points cap and willing to take a job.

45 /

2018 B grade premiership side. St Bernards. Lured Chad Jones out of retirement. After he was instrumental to their A grade flag. He retired after 2015. Returns for 2018. He kicks 100+ goals, plays a blinder in the first half of the GF and is key to that flag. He then retires again. Thoughts Joe?

The ex-Essendon and Richmond ruckmen who stepped out for St Bernards in 2015. Can’t recall his name. Might be wrong but don’t remember him playing in 2014 or continuing on after they won the flag.

Personally could not care less if they play 1 year or 20. Still a premiership player.

So not one name comes to mind yet it was a topic on the podcast?
Captain, I think you'll find that 'Tone' and his 'De La of the Old' playmate like to entertain themselves with a little verbal jousting during their Wednesday warbling. At least that's my take on the bits-n-pieces I've heard.

On this occasion their give-n-take was merely that Tone wasn't that keen on a form of player fly-ins for team success, preferring loyalty to cause. While Wally was more from the whatever-it-takes school of thinking. No biggy!

I'd be surprised if 'Tone' wasn't delighted at you drawing attention to this little part of the schmoozing as it achieved the notoriety/attention he was seeking. Well done, 'Tone'

Tristan Cartledge?

Yep that’s him. From memory he did not seem to have a huge impact that year anyway, at least not for someone with his credentials. Probably why I don’t remember his name, just that he played at the top level.

St B’s had a good even team that year complemented by some exceptional young talent. Hannan and Ronke have really kicked on and were just kids that year but I think most would agree that the standard has gone up considerably since then. Was wide open in 2015 but with all due respect to St Bernards, in my most humble of opinions that team would not finish top 4 in 2019.

Captain, I think you'll find that 'Tone' and his 'De La of the Old' playmate like to entertain themselves with a little verbal jousting during their Wednesday warbling. At least that's my take on the bits-n-pieces I've heard.

On this occasion their give-n-take was merely that Tone wasn't that keen on a form of player fly-ins for team success, preferring loyalty to cause. While Wally was more from the whatever-it-takes school of thinking. No biggy!

I'd be surprised if 'Tone' wasn't delighted at you drawing attention to this little part of the schmoozing as it achieved the notoriety/attention he was seeking. Well done, 'Tone'

Damn! I have been outsmarted again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back