10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Ok, I'm going way too early here.

But we are now (well appear to be) in a world of hurt with vardy.

It looks like he's done an ankle. And we don't know how bad.
But if it's a 10 week type injury we would get zero for him in a trade.

Does anyone have the courage to contract him for another year?
Or do we cut and run?

I'm honestly torn now. Some people have bodies that just break. And he's looking like one of them.
But if we cut him we'd pretty much be using pick 70 to replace him.

Or do we cut and run?

I'm honestly torn now. Some people have bodies that just break. And he's looking like one of them.
Want to cut but then again can't afford to lose both he and Clarke (feel like that could happen too). Just see how everyone feels at the end of the year I guess. I don't think he'll be shoved out the door but if he wants to go we won't stop him.

Players often play their best football in the 25-30 age group....this ageism trend on this board that at 25 your on the way out is absurd...

They do. The problem with Vardy is he's rarely even played decent football, so it's extremely doubtful whether his 'best' football is ever going to appear.

Or do we cut and run?

Where we weren't going to get much for Vardy in the first place so I've been in the school of I'd keep him if he doesn't chose to leave.

The context of the injury is important, I want to hear more about how it happened it could just be another case of terrible luck. The cost of having him and not needing him is a lot less than needing him and not having him. A replacement type would take years of development. Reed's injury has made the decision easier.

The context of the injury is important, I want to hear more about how it happened it could just be another case of terrible luck. The cost of having him and not needing him is a lot less than needing him and not having him. A replacement type would take years of development. Reed's injury has made the decision easier.

When would we 'need' a player who has shown so little though? Even if he wasn't injured Kersten and Clark are both in front of him. As for years of development, he's had seven so far for very little return.

Last edited:

Or do we cut and run?

Most likely now he stays on match payments (edit: is that even still a thing? I mean a small 1-year contract essentially). As bad as that is for him it's not the worst insurance we could have in 2017.

Terrible luck for him. Just as clubs come sniffing...

Or do we cut and run?

I guess it would be what we think we can get for that P70 , what we decide to do on Clark , what another injury does to his appeal... a 10 week ankle may not dissuade buyers as much as a knee etc. if he is going to be fit at the start of pre season etc....

P70? Well I guess we would have to say would we prefer a Hayball or a Vardy , Mengola at P66 etc. I have been impressed with Lucey in the ruck , and we have some supporters of Read on this board..so are we keeping him as a ruck or KPP? He has never lasted long enough to convince me he is either but he has on occasion played a good game in the ruck.. but has he ever played well as a KPP?.. It may be time to let him move on.. fresh start for him and us if we have a another out of system player we think we can get with that P70. Sure we could say just keep him for insurance but Im not even sure he would want to stay if that how we think of him. Is there a Pods out there? What about Brett Eddy in SANFL .. not sure he is good enough but I am sure there are options.

Geelong are really loyal to injured fringe players (to the extreme with Cowan), so I think they'll keep him around if the injury is serious, but I don't think Vardy's got what it takes to make it in the AFL even when fully fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it would be what we think we can get for that P70 , what we decide to do on Clark , what another injury does to his appeal... a 10 week ankle may not dissuade buyers as much as a knee etc. if he is going to be fit at the start of pre season etc....

P70? Well I guess we would have to say would we prefer a Hayball or a Vardy , Mengola at P66 etc. I have been impressed with Lucey in the ruck , and we have some supporters of Read on this board..so are we keeping him as a ruck or KPP? He has never lasted long enough to convince me he is either but he has on occasion played a good game in the ruck.. but has he ever played well as a KPP?.. It may be time to let him move on.. fresh start for him and us if we have a another out of system player we think we can get with that P70. Sure we could say just keep him for insurance but Im not even sure he would want to stay if that how we think of him. Is there a Pods out there? What about Brett Eddy in SANFL .. not sure he is good enough but I am sure there are options.
Ha ha ha ha.

Pretty much everything you just said is how I feel.
Ie. We have NFI what to do.

Geelong are really loyal to injured fringe players (to the extreme with Cowan), so I think they'll keep him around if the injury is serious, but I don't think Vardy's got what it takes to make it in the AFL even when fully fit.
Ok cool. So he's a cut for you anyway. That makes it easier.

Awful for Vards whose had to endure so much. Hope it turns out to be not as serious as it looks.

dwyuc5.jpg

25hmno0.jpg

When we would 'need' a player who has shown so little though? Even if he wasn't injured Kersten and Clark are both in front of him. As for years of development, he's had seven so far for very little return.

We might not see his best, we didn't see a lot of Simpson's in the end. He isn't young anymore. He has had an absolutely shocking year.

But he is AFL capable both forward and the ruck even if he isn't first choice. I see it being no different from Butcher at Port or Daw at North. Ideally neither team would like them in the 22 but there are points in the year we they could be needed. We'd get next to nothing for Vardy in a trade, and it shouldn't cost us a lot to hold on to him.

His last two injuries have been from people falling on him, it is quite different from just breaking down it is just terrible luck.

Last edited:
We might not see his best, we didn't see a lot of Simpson's in the end. He isn't young anymore. He has had an absolutely shocking year.

But he is AFL capable both forward and the ruck even if he isn't first choice. I see it being no different from Butcher at Port or Daw at North. Ideally neither team would like them in the 22 but there are points in the year we they could be needed. We'd get next to nothing for Vardy in a trade, and it shouldn't cost us a lot to hold on to him.

His last two injuries have been from people falling on him, it is quite different from just breaking down it is just terrible luck.

That's all good but you also have to consider the welfare of the player as well. I reckon Vardy would be screaming out for a fresh start. He appears to be cursed at Geelong - whether he would have been any better (hips not obviously) at another club who knows? But it's time for both parties to move on in my opinion.

That's all good but you also have to consider the welfare of the player as well. I reckon Vardy would be screaming out for a fresh start. He appears to be cursed at Geelong - whether he would have been any better (hips not obviously) at another club who knows? But it's time for both parties to move on in my opinion.

Well if he wants to leave it is another thing all together, he is out of contract we can't force him to stay.

Cut him and run. Far too injury-prone, has shown very little to suggest his supposed potential will be realised at AFL level, and he apparently isn't happy at the club. Let him go to another club, if they really want a player who can't seem to string five games together at any level and who starts crying because the club wants him to find form in the VFL after seven years of persisting with him despite no return. Good luck to him.

Or do we cut and run?

Time to cut ties with him.......it's not his fault, it's not mean spirited of us........it's just a case of weighing up investment against return, and realising the club is getting the raw end of the deal.
I hope he can get past his injuries and have a decent career at another club

One of either Vardy or Clark need to be let go at years end. We have recruited a lot of talls in recent times and these are the guys who are surplus to our needs. But happy to keep one on a 1yr, low cost contract as a back up. As for which one, I will leave that to the guys on the big bucks to work out !

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Vardy lower leg injury 24/7/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back