Injury Vardy lower leg injury 24/7/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Two short I think.
Two short and with only current draft picks in 2nd round, would imagine we are not in a hurry to move anyone on.

Dont think we will see any retirements and I certainly would be offering Vardy a new deal, he is not a free agent so would expect a decent trade as a minimum. However, have seen enough to suggest he can play, keep him.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I remember the Nick Riewoldt comparisons when he arrived at the club.

Pretty fair comparison really. Imagine. Vardy plays a few games in NABcup / VFL in 2010 and demontrates mobility, skills, and athleticism, 199cm.
And did I mention a big leap.

Who does that remind you of as you look forward?

Well a chronic hip injury and a knee reco later (plus more), sort of spoilt the picture a bit. If the roles had been reversed the Saints would have been cruelled and Vardy may (just) have got close. Thats footy.

What do we say about Parsons now? Spud. Too skinny, only a rookie, probably will be injured, get rid of him? or gee he can play - looks a bit like Pendles in traffic, can find it, will be a player?

Let me know.

Keep, better bet than pick 70 or whatever. I don't rate him anymore but we aren't in a position to cut depth players. If someone was going to offer us a decent pick for him sure, but they won't. I'd also keep Clark but it depends whether he is content to play understudy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep, better bet than pick 70 or whatever. I don't rate him anymore but we aren't in a position to cut depth players. If someone was going to offer us a decent pick for him sure, but they won't. I'd also keep Clark but it depends whether he is content to play understudy.

Do we know that for sure though?

Lincoln McCarthy - pick #66 in 2011.
Jed Bews - pick #86 in 2011.
Sam Menegola - pick #66 in 2015.

I'd say those three seem to demonstrate later picks can perform quite adequately.

I'd say those three seem to demonstrate later picks can perform quite adequately.
Bews was a father son, but the other two are valid points.

For sure? Of course not. The draft by its nature is uncertain. And that uncertainty increases as he pick number increases. By 70 you're looking at prospects that are distinctly uncertain and very much more uncertain than Vardy's chances of making an impact in the AFL.

For sure? Of course not. The draft by its nature is uncertain. And that uncertainty increases as he pick number increases. By 70 you're looking at prospects that are distinctly uncertain and very much more uncertain than Vardy's chances of making an impact in the AFL.

The point is perfectly competent players seem to exist at that point in the draft, particularly if you're good at recruiting (remember, "in Wells we trust" etc.). To automatically assume that keeping a 25-year-old perenially injured and largely unproven key forward/ruck is a better bet seems not quite so clear cut.

For me, it would be three attributes. Talent, durability, and output.

But Vardy is apparently a super talent.
Pfft talent
Is he internally rated? That is the big question

The point is perfectly competent players seem to exist at that point in the draft, particularly if you're good at recruiting (remember, "in Wells we trust" etc.). To automatically assume that keeping a 25-year-old perenially injured and largely unproven key forward/ruck is a better bet seems not quite so clear cut.
I don't see it as an "automatic assumption", rather an assessment of probabilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Vardy lower leg injury 24/7/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back