Review Vent/Autopsy thread vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing that after Round 1 McCartney was being hailed as the second coming, but now the same old faces are back calling for his head. It will solve nothing, and I personally don't think that sacking coach will solve the lack of smart decision making on show.
Wise comments.

JJ just goes missing far too often. I'm not sure if it's fitness or what.
I tend to disagree, reckon he's actually quite an accountable defender and never really does much wrong with it.
Hope Vez can get in though for Gia and wouldn't mind seeing Roberts or just another small for Cordy

Don't try and justify it to me, please. It's all bullshit. Coach bashing is the absolute biggest cop out in football. ESPECIALLY if it's a coach with a young side, that had a completely screwed up list in the first place.
Surely, a poster to can respond to a statement. What I just don't get about McCartney is where all this faith in him stems from. What do we know about him, he was a bit of a bolter, he spent time at, and was part of a winning culture at Geelong and he is apparently a "Teacher, and a developer of talent". I'm not sure if he is a clueless idiot with misplaced confidence, or a team building genius. What I have an issue with as a Western Bulldogs supporter is our 'style'. We do 'going hard at the footy' really well, but it seems as if that is the be all and end all of our game style and structure. Again I saw players in 50/50 situations waiting for the opposition to take possession before applying a tackle rather than grabbing the ball. I'm not calling for a sacking, but is there anyway he can modify/tweak/change our playing style to offer us some hope when we get behind on the scoreboard. The other thing is we are not Geelong, maybe their style and structures don't suit our playing list, of course everything is subjective (especially in footy) and perhaps we are heading in a positive direction (although at the full time siren of this game it doesn't appear so).

I guess these Western Bulldogs Bigfooty Forum internal tiffs stem from how you view a coach to begin with. I have never bought into the Cult of the Coach with a rigid 'system'. I would like a coach that identifies the strengths and weaknesses of their list and formulates a system tailored to those strengths and weaknesses. I feel (perhaps unfairly) that McCartney has this 'cookie cutter' system that worked well with a certain club, at a certain time, with certain list but main actually be detrimental to our club right now.

OUT: Johannisen (omit.), Giansiracusa (omit.), Cordy (omit.), Griffen (inj.)
IN: Pearce, Veszpremi, Roberts, Smith

With playing two big sides Geelong and West Coast and Austin being in best players two weeks in a row I'm gonna make the big call that he is upgraded this week and in. Cordy can't go out as there would be no one to ruck until (if) Williams ever gets fit enough to play. Agree on JJ he looked like he was struggling 2 weeks ago and the weeks rest clearly wasn't enough.

Team doesn't have a system. Don't have a clue what to do with the ball in hand & don't have a clue what to do when the opposition has the ball in hand.

Beating a dead horse here, but Ayce Cordy really has been a failure. Has to be close to the worst player in the competition that's in a best 22 (along with Gia). Just cannot do a single thing right.

Also, our players have really got to learn how to win high-tackle & push in the back free-kicks. Not saying the umpires are the reason we lost today, but it's become clear to me over the course of the weekend that a lot of the top teams set up a lot of attacks & get out of trouble by pulling these antics.

Can't blame our forward line. The ball was never in there. Same last week absolutely smashed in the inside 50's . Means we are getting smashed in the midfield. Strange part is I think we won more centre clearances, so it might seem to be a problem in general play between the 2 arcs, they seem to win all the contests and we just kept bombing it forward.. I can only recall one play where we short passes it a few times into the forward line.

I thought the backs did ok as well,was just like last week, if the ball comes in 1000 times they can't stop it every time.

I dont blaim mccartney at all.. we just dont have the players that have the silk.... That is evident.. They mainly all go in hard and are decent honest footballers, but there is no class at the moment, or not many with class - And because we are in an early stage of re development, the blokes with class like griffen etc are being tagged to the shit !!

I tend to disagree, reckon he's actually quite an accountable defender and never really does much wrong with it.
Hope Vez can get in though for Gia and wouldn't mind seeing Roberts or just another small for Cordy
I just think he does a good thing, then disappears for five minutes and then pops up again. Look at Stringer - clearly unfit, but tackles three guys in a row. JJ also has "Easton Wood Disease" - #1 symptom being mentally going missing for no apparent reason. Was pretty bad today I thought.

With playing two big sides Geelong and West Coast and Austin being in best players two weeks in a row I'm gonna make the big call that he is upgraded this week and in. Cordy can't go out as there would be no one to ruck until (if) Williams ever gets fit enough to play. Agree on JJ he looked like he was struggling 2 weeks ago and the weeks rest clearly wasn't enough.
I'm not actually against bringing Austin in, but I just think it would be a bit of an odd structure. Not entirely sure if Roughead/Morris/Young/Austin can all play in the same defensive structure.
Roberts is more than capable of pinch-hitting in the ruck though, but yeah the pinch-hitting is a problem.

My biggest disappointment was the movement of the ball between the 50's, it was just horrible. We relied on the long bomb to a slowly gathering pack where we were outnumbered time after time, and if we didn't do that then we kicked short and turned it over. We seem to be most dangerous when we can give it to a player to run and break packs (e.g. Cooney) rather than the uphill battle we take on every time. Jones, Cordy and just about everyone that isn't Stringer in our forward line cops a lot of flack for not kicking goals, or trapping it in the fifty or for looking at someone the wrong way, but it's always going to be really difficult for them when we're struggling to get the ball up to them, and when we do it's horrible delivery.

1. Can't blame Cordy today. Seriously guys.

2. Can we please agree that dahlhous needs a partner in crime up there? Waaaay too much left to him when the ball hits the deck.

3. McCartney should be feeling a little heat. I'm not a 'sack the coach' kinda guy, but I started the 'worsfold' thread and I have no doubt we need better strategic thinkers in the coaching group next year.

4. Enough of the lower/picken tandem. I've said my piece on this a LOT so will leave it at that.

I want us to run. I want us to play at least one more small forward so we're at least competitive when the ball hits the ground inside 50m. I want us to stick with jj, macrae, stringer. I want us to play Pearce. I want us to play 6 forwards, 6 backs and 6 mids and take teams on.

We're sliding ever so quickly back to irrelevancy. We're playing conservative football. We're "getting games" into lower, goodes, gia (and Dickson prior to that). The direction of the squad is concerning to say the least.

Still, we must look at the big picture. The kids looked so composed out there. And cooney is back.

On the good side I saw the game plan. Win the ruck ,palm it down fight hard for the ball,win it handpass to mate also under pressure, he fights hard wins ball and handpasses to mate who is also under pressure ,he gets frustrated he hand passes into forward line,Our forwards are 4 yards behind opponent ,they mark and pass to all the free runners who kick into forward line,we tackle hard and force a point it's ok we still have the ball.Now we we can attack.We kick straight to the back pocket (we're safe ) Get ball and kick to contested football or just kick it straight to opposition,doesn't matter same result.Back to centre we clear ball and kick it to the most potential forward line ever,they are either 4 yards behind or bumped or just don,t get near it ,if they do get near the mark it,s quickly picked up by the crumbers, aught oh not ours it theirs and they don't even get
near the ball (in fact don,t have even a set set shot all day They play on and get goal and so it proceeds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sack the coach, he's had long enough FFS.
Cordy to play two's for a while, he's played 17 games FFS.
Same with Jones, he's 22 and should be killing it with delivery like that.
Roberts at CHF, he's had one good game in a row.
Redpath at full forward, he tackled Harry Obrien once.
Cross, Boyd, and anyone else with experience should be forced into retirement. I like the way melbourne's going.
Where the f*** is Panos? Lets re-draft him.
Make as many changes as we can this week, team stability is so last season.
Replace Peter Gordon with Tom Waterhouse and fix some matches to erase our debt.
= Problems solved.

I was disappointed in both JJ and Tutt. I thought both should have given much more in those conditions. Tutt slightly the better.

Did Stevens even play?

As our two talls up forward Jones and Cordy have no physical presence and don't look threatening rather you hope for a brilliant piece of play.

We seriously lack skill. Seriously!

The coach looks to have got it right with Roughead as FB so cudos to him for that but Picken as a defender, I am still not convinced.

Solid performances from Minson, Cooney, Morris Goodes (apart from turnovers, where have is skills gone since round 1?) Boyd and Griffen (I would like to see more game changing performances from him).

Adelaide were faster, quicker to react and looked solider all over the ground. Wet weather football is not our strength and maybe another preseason is needed to hold our own over the ball.

Good but not great debuts by the two lads. Hope we preserver with them.

Saying Stringer cant run out a game and the fact he should'nt be in the senior side is griefing? I suppose you love what is happening at Melbourne then, blooding players clearly not ready into slaughters.

I'm going to ignore the first part of this statement, but we shouldn't be abusing other supporters. Full stop.

There is an argument that 30 - 40 minutes at AFL level will not be helping Stringers development as much as a full game at a lower level. He's a talent, no question, but he's not ready for this level yet. Not due to skills, or physical size or any other factor - purely due to match conditioning....

I'm not sure whether he needs simply more miles and more miles into his legs or he needs to do different levels of running (ie more sprinting, shorter recoveries etc) - I'll leave it up to the medicos. But it is an issue as he was spent half way through the 4th. And he only came on half way through the third... Did some good things to show what will be there in the future, but he's not match ready yet.

Tongue in cheek, sorry.

More to the point, how come our players NEVER get out on their own, are always being hassled, while other teams ALWAYS have loose players who link up. Their players take marks against three of ours, beat a crowd of ours to the ball, are way more purposeful.

Seems to me what's behind it is confidence. The new players and the young players are not yet confident enough in each other and what they are supposed to do. Especially when confronted with experienced, bigger players. They panic when they see how easy the 100-gamers in the opposition make it look. Our guys still look slightly built compared to other teams. We've never had any bruisers, except for Bazza.

They have been given the theory by Macca and the other coaches, but getting the guys to experience success consistently, thereby building confidence in each other, is, I'm afraid, going to be a long process and we are really just going to have to be patient.

BEST
Adelaide: Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Otten, Douglas, Walker
Western Bulldogs: Cooney, Liberatore, Minson, Boyd, Goodes, Wallis

INJURIES
Adelaide: Nil
Western Bulldogs: Griffen (shoulder)

Guessing Griffen has done his collar bone maybe 2-4 months on the sideline if he has.............

Edit
It got worse for the Bulldogs in the fourth when Ryan Griffen retreated to the bench and had his arm placed in a sling after aggravating a collarbone injury he appeared to sustain earlier in the match when crunched in a tackle by Rutten.

I was at today's game.

It was absolutely excruciating. Feel like I've lost two years of my life watching that game rather than two hours.

When it started to pour down in the first quarter I was thinking we'd be a chance.

Strongly disagree with those who think McCartney deserves no criticism for today. Our forward line....what the ****? Seriously what the ****ing ****? What was our actual plan to score goals today?

Poor old Jones was isolated with two guys hanging off him every time we went in. There was also a moment in the third quarter when we finally went inside 50 for the first time in ages and he had to chase after it with the same two blokes hanging off him and no one there to give him support.

Our skill today was abysmal - yes, I know it was wet but still some of our errors were just embarrassing.

I'd give pass marks to Cooney, Cross and Morris. That's about it.

I really can't believe how bad it was today. Was enthused by the site of the rain thinking we could maybe snatch it in a low scoring scrap and then we put in that effort.

God, my head hurts.

you're just a weak sook that cant come up with a practical reason why Stringer should be in the side despite so much evidence showing he cant run out a game.

Saying Stringer cant run out a game and the fact he should'nt be in the senior side is griefing? I suppose you love what is happening at Melbourne then, blooding players clearly not ready into slaughters.
Again. Stringer, young guy who shows a lot of heart > Lazy footballers who can run out games, only because they don't put in when it counts. Who do you play instead of him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Vent/Autopsy thread vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back