VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the 2022 season hasn't long finished, but we're already getting announcements through for the 2023 season, meaning it feels like time to kick off this discussion

And the biggest announcement of the off-season is a change in our VFL coach - after leading the way for the past 7 seasons, Shane O'Bree will move on to another venture at the club and we thank Shane for his time as our VFL coach, and I know many of our players that have done their apprenticeships in our VFL program credit him for helping with their development

Stepping into the role is the reigning VFL Premiership coach & former Geelong VFL champ, Mark Corrigan

Pre draft signings
I know we've flipped this over for 2023 and its a good idea.

One thing I really want to do in the mega threads is use the THREADMARKS to identify easily the changing over of each week... perhaps at the time the teams are listed for that week.

Makes location referencing easier for the larger threads.

Just a thought.

GO Catters

I know we've flipped this over for 2023 and its a good idea.

One thing I really want to do in the mega threads is use the THREADMARKS to identify easily the changing over of each week... perhaps at the time the teams are listed for that week.

Makes location referencing easier for the larger threads.

Just a thought.

GO Catters
I like that

I started doing that in the AFLW thread and slacked off in recent weeks when matches were clashing with work

But they're a good idea, especially with a standardised option such as team sheet/Thursday time

Can anyone who watches the VFL see the possibility of anyone breaking into the senior side from the VFL in 2023?
I only saw a few VFL games on-line in 2022.

Can anyone who watches the VFL see the possibility of anyone breaking into the senior side from the VFL in 2023?
Neale.... should play every game Tomma, Jezza or Rohan does not. I know they play different roles but Neale needs games.

Dempsey will prob snag a few too...

Conway might crack one.

Go Catters

I've only watched 3 or 4 games in 2022 but for me, Oliver Dempsey looks a very good prospect to me.

Has an X-factor that sets him apart.

I'll also be keen to see if Willis puts some form on the board....

I've only watched 3 or 4 games in 2022 but for me, Oliver Dempsey looks a very good prospect to me.

Has an X-factor that sets him apart.

I'll also be keen to see if Willis puts some form on the board....
I'm just here for the James Willis content. Bring him in!

And I think we are watching VFL in 2023 to see what the team might shape up like in 2024 or 2025. It will be so tough for these kids to get AFL games in 23 unless lots of injuries - but in some ways (for the future) this VFL season is very important for a core dozen or so players with the hope 6-10 of them move forward as core AFL players over the next few years

As a group the 2021 draftees look better than any previous groups I have seen fairly regularly (last 6 years). Add Neale.
It will make for much more interesting VFL watching next year. Especially live.

I agree that Neale should play quite a few. Dempsey if he continues his development physically, will have his hand up high.

I liked what I saw of Whyte and Knevitt.
Missed Willis and Kroeger so unknown quantities for me. But reports good for Willis. Conway looked the AFL ruckman in waiting.

The last 5 have are likely to spend the year in the VFL with maybe a taste.

Then pick 7.

Exciting to be a cat fan

I’m not sure anyone will become a permanent fixture but Dempsey, Neale, Conway and Whyte were the standouts.

Re Dempsey - and i did watch a few VFL games last year - he is very lightly framed - so who knows - he might put a big off season in the gym and come back much stronger to his benefit

When i watched him - he reminded me of Leigh Colbert and i wasnt a Colbert fan -( not because he walked out on Geel ) right through - and had a horrendous 95 GF

But Dempsey when i watched him in the 2nds - he was like Colbert - in the sense - he would take a nice mark - but then drift out of the game - rather than repeat effort - repeat effort - repeat effort

And that was Narkles problem - Harry Taylor and a few others at training - would be continually telling him - stay focussed - stay in the game - and that is what i think is going to be Dempseys problem

Re Dempsey - and i did watch a few VFL games last year - he is very lightly framed - so who knows - he might put a big off season in the gym and come back much stronger to his benefit

When i watched him - he reminded me of Leigh Colbert and i wasnt a Colbert fan -( not because he walked out on Geel ) right through - and had a horrendous 95 GF

But Dempsey when i watched him in the 2nds - he was like Colbert - in the sense - he would take a nice mark - but then drift out of the game - rather than repeat effort - repeat effort - repeat effort

And that was Narkles problem - Harry Taylor and a few others at training - would be continually telling him - stay focussed - stay in the game - and that is what i think is going to be Dempseys problem
Re Dempsey. After I watched Dempsey provide his highlight reel in his early game, I went to next game wondering how he could produce that number of involvements.
Watching the game with him as a focus I was surprised to see him cover the ground with ease and leave his opponent ( yes VFL oppo.) In his wake. Repeat efforts too.

The last time I saw him live he looked like he was being more choosy about his attack in the air and on the ground when approaching a pack. Orders to wind it back a bit? - to do more basic stuff and stay in one piece? team orientation?

Anyway he is a kid. He has a big hill to climb to just push past the bevy of mids / utilities ahead of him at the moment. I dont think he will be deferring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dempsey definitely drifted in and out of games, but I think that was a combination of his inexperience, the overall team being crap and the fact they started playing him much further up the ground in the back half of the season. Given who they've brought in over the offseason it'll be interesting to see where he starts - do they stick with trying to turn him into a midfielder or play him forward again, given that's likely where he'd get a crack in the seniors?

I’m not sure anyone will become a permanent fixture but Dempsey, Neale, Conway and Whyte were the standouts.

Knevitt is the other one imo (whyte coming from a ways back with OP) but none of those guys except conway (and even then only if stanley gets injured) will be regulars until at least 2024 they need time. Neale might get some games early next year if hawk is still recovering from surgery but he probably needs 12 months before he is ready for seniors.

It will be bruhn henry bowes menegola (in terms of guys outside the 22 getting into it) for 2023 unless we take anyone mature age as a rookie (plus simpson if he stays on the list).

Neale.... should play every game Tomma, Jezza or Rohan does not. I know they play different roles but Neale needs games.

Dempsey will prob snag a few too...

Conway might crack one.

Go Catters

Everyone in Neale's draft (2020) should be pushing for games this year now. Bruhn, O.Henry, Neale, and obviously Holmes will only get better.

But to answer the question, from our 2022 VFL side it will be Neale, Dempsey, and I think Conway and Knevitt aren't far off. Knevitt has had his doubters, but he is a genuine talent, just needs size. I see in him what I saw in Zuthrie early days, just does things others cannot.

Everyone in Neale's draft (2020) should be pushing for games this year now. Bruhn, O.Henry, Neale, and obviously Holmes will only get better.

But to answer the question, from our 2022 VFL side it will be Neale, Dempsey, and I think Conway and Knevitt aren't far off. Knevitt has had his doubters, but he is a genuine talent, just needs size. I see in him what I saw in Zuthrie early days, just does things others cannot.
They need time too.... people saying kids arent gonna make it .... yer we just pulled a flag partially on the back of kids that weren't gonna make it for the last 4 years too...

Im kinda inclined to dismiss the "aint gonna make its" for awhile... there's a few Premiership medals handing on mantles right now that have proven that theory inaccurate.. not all of them.. but certainly some... Atkins, Zuthrie, Close, Miers, Holmes, Parfitt, Kolo and the poster child.. Blitz....

They aint all gonna be Tomma and Selwood in 2 years....

GO Catters

Thanks Jester.

They need time too.... people saying kids arent gonna make it .... yer we just pulled a flag partially on the back of kids that weren't gonna make it for the last 4 years too...

Im kinda inclined to dismiss the "aint gonna make its" for awhile... there's a few Premiership medals handing on mantles right now that have proven that theory inaccurate.. not all of them.. but certainly some... Atkins, Zuthrie, Close, Miers, Holmes, Parfitt, Kolo and the poster child.. Blitz....

They aint all gonna be Tomma and Selwood in 2 years....

GO Catters
Hawk wasn’t going to make it either if we can remember back that long!

I agree with the premise that we back our club to choose which kids to persevere with and which ones they decide early aren’t going to make it.

Looking into end of 2023 we have 20 players coming out of contract - almost half the list! And on my count on 6 player who are MUST extend (5 of those are in our best 22 in the mid 20s age bracket. The other one is Scratcher). The other 14 are a mixture of over 30 (some well over) players and those first year 22 players.

So list management have full flexibility to choose how many older players go on vs how many younger players they “give up on”. They don’t have any list spot pressures end of next year so they will be making that decision based purely on probability…

I would have thought they wouldn’t want to change more than 6-8 max on the list each year…how many of those are the over 30s just depends on who falls off that cliff (Higgins and Dal like)…

In my mind that means they will probably give kids the benefit of the doubt. Ie. To not extend it would be that they are sure they are not going to make it. To extend they don’t need to be sure they are going to make it - just worth more time to see.

The list you have up there gives me confidence that a higher proportion than most thing of the recent recruits do have a shot - it just might be when they are 22-24 rather than 19-20. We should be excited about the glimpses and be patient about the development

good thoughts.

it may well be harder for the likes of Dempsey knevitte and others to get games in 2023 - purely dependent on injuries. Given there are 4 (including pick 7) first round draft picks to “compete with” for any spare games.

Yes selwood, Frank, cooper, Higgins, Dal did play around 50 games in 22 (so they are available) but that I think gets somewhat taken up by the new recruits? And first half of 22 cats had lots of injuries (although hardly any in back end).

To me it doesn’t matter whether they do or don’t play afl much this year. It is a critical development year whether vfl or afl. And vfl is by definition better than 22 with a deeper group of younger players who hopefully won’t be rested or injured

‘’I am excited already!

Re Dempsey. After I watched Dempsey provide his highlight reel in his early game, I went to next game wondering how he could produce that number of involvements.
Watching the game with him as a focus I was surprised to see him cover the ground with ease and leave his opponent ( yes VFL oppo.) In his wake. Repeat efforts too.

The last time I saw him live he looked like he was being more choosy about his attack in the air and on the ground when approaching a pack. Orders to wind it back a bit? - to do more basic stuff and stay in one piece? team orientation?

Anyway he is a kid. He has a big hill to climb to just push past the bevy of mids / utilities ahead of him at the moment. I dont think he will be deferring.
Good insight. I watche’d most vfl games live.

my summary is that they (and Ollie) are still working out what his long term position is. He came as a forward but that is only because he kicked goals in schoolboy footy! Surprised everybody early in VFL with goals and highlights and snagged an afl game. then was emergency a few times and lost rhythms middle of the year.

they then experimented through the middle and last few games on the wing. His last two games were his best imo (despite less highlights). Seemed like he turned his running capacity into proper running patterns and significantly more impact. I would think they will keep working him on the wing and not focus on what gets him an afl game but what gives him best long term chance of position?

re Mitch he is an inside mid in my view but they also played him on wing. I would think they try and work him more through the middle this yest

but as you say if the younger ones aren’t injured like they were in 22 (Whyte, “Bruce” Kroever etc) plus the new recruits if they are into afl team - the vfl team will be overburdened with midfield players looking to prove themselves.

will be interesting

they are all young@!

I havent given up on Sav

And with Hawkins out - this gives him a big chance - as a goal square FF - who is a very strong o/head mark

FF is his best chance to make it - and i have posted this before - Mitch Clark would have been an ok FF for Geel - he was a good o/head mark and a reliable kick - he was too slow for CHF - and he wasnt tall enough to be a ruckman . He would have been an ok FF - but Hawkins had that spot

If Hawkins is out for the 1st 4-5 games - whoever takes his spot - has to make every post a winner

I havent given up on Sav

And with Hawkins out - this gives him a big chance - as a goal square FF - who is a very strong o/head mark

FF is his best chance to make it - and i have posted this before - Mitch Clark would have been an ok FF for Geel - he was a good o/head mark and a reliable kick - he was too slow for CHF - and he wasnt tall enough to be a ruckman . He would have been an ok FF - but Hawkins had that spot

If Hawkins is out for the 1st 4-5 games - whoever takes his spot - has to make every post a winner
If Hawkins is out for the first month or so Neale will be first choice since he over took Sav last year.

Hawk wasn’t going to make it either if we can remember back that long!

I agree with the premise that we back our club to choose which kids to persevere with and which ones they decide early aren’t going to make it.

Looking into end of 2023 we have 20 players coming out of contract - almost half the list! And on my count on 6 player who are MUST extend (5 of those are in our best 22 in the mid 20s age bracket. The other one is Scratcher). The other 14 are a mixture of over 30 (some well over) players and those first year 22 players.

So list management have full flexibility to choose how many older players go on vs how many younger players they “give up on”. They don’t have any list spot pressures end of next year so they will be making that decision based purely on probability…

I would have thought they wouldn’t want to change more than 6-8 max on the list each year…how many of those are the over 30s just depends on who falls off that cliff (Higgins and Dal like)…

In my mind that means they will probably give kids the benefit of the doubt. Ie. To not extend it would be that they are sure they are not going to make it. To extend they don’t need to be sure they are going to make it - just worth more time to see.

The list you have up there gives me confidence that a higher proportion than most thing of the recent recruits do have a shot - it just might be when they are 22-24 rather than 19-20. We should be excited about the glimpses and be patient about the development
im that old remember all that.

And look now.

Not that every player that needs time makes it... there are some that dont... but going the early not gonna make it call seems really short sighted IMO.

The kids are better prepared coming thru but it still takes time to get the swing of it... and some like Dempsey come in all guns firing then drift out and need time to come back...

Its just a pet peeve of mine...

GO CAtters

Knevitt is the other one imo (whyte coming from a ways back with OP) but none of those guys except conway (and even then only if stanley gets injured) will be regulars until at least 2024 they need time. Neale might get some games early next year if hawk is still recovering from surgery but he probably needs 12 months before he is ready for seniors.

It will be bruhn henry bowes menegola (in terms of guys outside the 22 getting into it) for 2023 unless we take anyone mature age as a rookie (plus simpson if he stays on the list).
I know Knevitt played well in his game in the seniors but he looked absolutely miles off in the second half of the season. To be fair, easy to think of plenty of reasons that was the case - and he could also have a Hartman/Gryan style preseason and explode out of the blocks in his second year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back