VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Well he's undersized as an AFL mid, and he's not better than any small forward we have... It's not that complex really... Also he clearly had to work on some stuff with how hungry he is at goal... But you can see he really has as he's given off plenty the last few weeks that early in the year he would have had a ping at.. So he's doing what is asked and I expect to see him shortly.

Likely Gryan pushes up the ground more to fit him or even Dempsey just gets a rest and he can fill that spot.

I thought he looked ok when he played seniors, and there's a few seniors who've been playing like......well, seniors....

Reward his form.

Maybe.. or Maybe not... let Hardie play and find out. But you have to give a guy a minimum of 3 games to show what he can do.
No you don't, some players it's obvious right away, especially for the staff who see them day in day out..
His issue as I see it is he doesn't have any AFL traits... He's not quick, not big, not strong, not an elite user. Classic good 2nd tier player but that's all.

As a comparison, if Willis could ever firstly get and stay fit.. And then string together a few good games.. I'd expect him to get a shot much quicker, he's got that explosive power or point of difference. (I don't think he will do either of the 2 thing's I mentioned Fwiw.. Just using him as an example)

I thought he looked ok when he played seniors, and there's a few seniors who've been playing like......well, seniors....

Reward his form.
Yes but he got dropped for Duncan, Axe, Bruhn and Bowes... All of those guys (particularly at round 3) were absolutely walk up starts compared to him... Duncan is since struggling but also was very good in the Hawks game especially in the 2nd half so it's reinventing history a touch to suggest he was a wrong choice to play.

Also we won our first 7 games, and the first 2 games we lost were by about a goal each. So hardly was panic stations. Add to that the VFL schedule is disjointed dog shit with players constantly missing games/having byes it's easy for someone to be out a while through no fault of their own.

No you don't, some players it's obvious right away, especially for the staff who see them day in day out..
His issue as I see it is he doesn't have any AFL traits... He's not quick, not big, not strong, not an elite user. Classic good 2nd tier player but that's all.

As a comparison, if Willis could ever firstly get and stay fit.. And then string together a few good games.. I'd expect him to get a shot much quicker, he's got that explosive power or point of difference. (I don't think he will do either of the 2 thing's I mentioned Fwiw.. Just using him as an example)
I honestly think he deserves a game

Yes but he got dropped for Duncan, Axe, Bruhn and Bowes... All of those guys (particularly at round 3) were absolutely walk up starts compared to him... Duncan is since struggling but also was very good in the Hawks game especially in the 2nd half so it's reinventing history a touch to suggest he was a wrong choice to play.

Also we won our first 7 games, and the first 2 games we lost were by about a goal each. So hardly was panic stations. Add to that the VFL schedule is disjointed dog s**t with players constantly missing games/having byes it's easy for someone to be out a while through no fault of their own.
Fwiw.. I do want to see Mannagh get a crack, and I expect him to soon.

Just pointing out my thoughts on it all here, I don't think it's playing favourites or anything like that.. Just a series of circumstances that have worked against him so far

Some blokes look a lot better in the AFL than they do in the VFL. Knevitt is one. Mullin's another. Worth checking to se if Hardie reaches another level in the seniors.
Eye test vs stat sheet isn't it?

Sometimes you just see AFL traits, even if they're not putting it all together at the lower level.

Why cant or wont any football journalist ask Scott are those 2 close to senior selection !!!!

There are plenty of Geel supporting journalists out their FFS - like Shayne Hope and Peter Ryan , why wont they ask Scott that question

I would like those 2 to come into the senior side and Parfitt and Bruhn to go out and i think that would improve Geelongs senior team
Can already tell you what he'd say if they asked.

He would go on about how they've been playing really well, they're in contention but we have a deep list and competition for spots is tight. They'll be considered by the MC at selection, they're well in the mix!

Then the team is named and they're left out.

It would be nice to 'retire' bews
This is so disrespectful to a very loyal servant.
He isn't even seriously injured FFS. Then it'd make some semblance of sense.

Very poor taste comment.

Some blokes look a lot better in the AFL than they do in the VFL. Knevitt is one. Mullin's another. Worth checking to se if Hardie reaches another level in the seniors.

Mullin went back after the Hawthorn game and was in the votes 2 out of 3 games.

Agree on Knevitt. I just don't think he's a very good inside player but is excellent working into space with marking and tackling. And people are happy if he plays a role at AFL level but expect him to be something different at VFL level.

Very poor taste comment.
To retire a premiership player that has got absolutely everything out of himself , just cause he is the ressies to open up a list spot is totally wrong.

Hell I would play bews before Henry at the moment, at least you know he going to half the contest.

To retire a premiership player that has got absolutely everything out of himself , just cause he is the ressies to open up a list spot is totally wrong.

Hell I would play bews before Henry at the moment, at least you know he going to half the contest.

Wouldn’t be so sure about that. - not sure his form in the VFL has been that great, and he’s also injured at the moment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to find a way to play Mannagh. He makes things happen. It’s exactly what we need.

He absolutely does. I know we have a lot of forwards but he needs to come in-push him in the middle or push miers in there i dont care but we need an x factor player and its worth trying.

Among posters on here who take active interest in draft, trade etc Pure is now the 2nd this year to make similar remarks.
Turbo last month wanted to do the same to young Edwards, who does not have a long term injury btw. Just to open up an MSD spot.

As if to say in year 1 that his career, and the opportunity to improve by years end in the VFL is completely not important.
But this was worse. 2nd generation cats player with a premiership and a decade of loyal service.

Just such poor taste both times just to open up a pitiful MSD slot.

Very poor taste comment.

I love jed hes one of my favourites.
But hes been out since r1, its clear he wont play again. Hes not doing much form wise in the vfl.

They played mullin off a 5 day break as an inexperienced player ahead of him and then they took mullin to darwin again ahead of him. If he didnt get picked with all our outs this week he wont get picked again.

So why does it not make sense to free up the list spot? Hes clearly going at the end of the year anyway.

I enjoyed watching the game.

I don’t think Mannagh will be B22 but I expect he will get games when we need to rest Stengle, Gryan, or Close. Or we drop Rohan and bring him into the side.

I reckon Hardie deserves at least one game. I don’t think he is going to be significantly worse than what Atkins, Parfitt, Clark, and Guthrie are currently producing. I would rest Atkins for a game.

I actually don’t mind Jekka from what I’ve seen. He cruises around and has excellent skills. I have more confidence when he has the ball than a Kolo and Henry. He looks like good insurance in case we lose a key defender during the season. Is his contest work that bad??

Fwiw.. I do want to see Mannagh get a crack, and I expect him to soon.

Just pointing out my thoughts on it all here, I don't think it's playing favourites or anything like that.. Just a series of circumstances that have worked against him so far

Ok that is fair enough you have given your opinion on both Hardie and Mannagh

What is your opinion of Parfitt then

I love jed hes one of my favourites.
But hes been out since r1, its clear he wont play again. Hes not doing much form wise in the vfl.

They played mullin off a 5 day break as an inexperienced player ahead of him and then they took mullin to darwin again ahead of him. If he didnt get picked with all our outs this week he wont get picked again.

So why does it not make sense to free up the list spot? Hes clearly going at the end of the year anyway.
because its disrespectful.
How you treat people is important, and gets remembered.

We have a good record with how we treat our players and it undoubtedly plays a part when chasing trade and FA targets.
We treated Kilpatrick, McGrath and Mensch with respect way back when. Slowly drifting into the sunset after a year guiding our young players in the reserves.

2-17.cd2f05c9461996ddd5727fa56546f9e4-1.jpg

Any familiar young faces you recognise? Wonder what wisdom Bluey and Mensch imparted that later had some small impact on a talented young group.

Who knows what Bews could say to a young COS that helps him in future years.
Stuff the MSD. Respect a good servant.

because its disrespectful.
How you treat people is important, and gets remembered..
I must say, after some of your comments regarding Parfitt in recent weeks, it's a weird time to pick a crusade in terms of worrying about how people are treated and what is regarded as disrespectful.

Its admirable, and I actually agree with you...but if you're going to do it, you can't just pick and choose when it applies to you.

Bews won't retire mid year, so it's pointless even bringing it up.

Yes, Jed Bews absolutely deserves respect. Played his heart in every game he played for Geelong.

Would be a very bad culture move to ask him to retire to bring in a MSD pick.

I must say, after some of your comments regarding Parfitt in recent weeks, it's a weird time to pick a crusade in terms of worrying about how people are treated and what is regarded as disrespectful.

Its admirable, and I actually agree with you...but if you're going to do it, you can't just pick and choose when it applies to you.

Bews won't retire mid year, so it's pointless even bringing it up.
I haven't advocated anything unreasonable though I wouldn't have thought.
Just want him in the VFL. I think he's a shit footballer.

If it were Wylie Buzza or Tom Ruggles having this said about them no one would bat an eyelid.
Just calling a spade a spade. Brandon is probably a wonderful guy, he can just be a wonderful guy helping our reserves IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back