VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Edward looks very, very good.
This is no slight on Conway whatsoever, as we all love him...but you can mount a very solid argument that Edwards is the more gifted footballer of the two.

Going to be very interesting over the next few years as they develop.

We haven't had an AA/Top 5 calibre ruckman since Ottens, if we develop these boys properly we might have two of them.

Opens a whole other can of worms if it happens that way, but it'll be a good problem to have considering where we've been for the best part of 15 years.

Of the mids George Stevens actually impressed me most. Getting a big bodied mid that doesn't go early in the draft normally doesn't work out but he's much classier than I expected. Smart by hand and very good by foot.
Just needs a tank, which unlike Constable (who had similar early hype of being our next gun mid) he's already showing an ability to build it.

Admittedly, he was starting from a low base with some puppy fat post knee reco, but put a side by side picture of him now to even 6 months ago and it's night and day.

Really speaks volumes of his commitment to come so far so quickly.

Loved the article the other day about how he's building his fitness and explosiveness too, and working with Lappo as a mentor.

Most kids at his age are thrilled to just be an AFL player, and they'll figure the rest out later. A lot of times, that 'later' never comes. It's a bloody tough industry for the youngsters.

Stevens on the other hand has been introspective enough to find out the flaws in his game, and has made the conscious effort to do everything he can to improve them.

Shows great leadership and maturity IMO to be able to do that, and if you give him another pre-season or two, he could be a star in the making.

Just needs a tank, which unlike Constable (who had similar early hype of being our next gun mid) he's already showing an ability to build it.

Admittedly, he was starting from a low base with some puppy fat post knee reco, but put a side by side picture of him now to even 6 months ago and it's night and day.

Really speaks volumes of his commitment to come so far so quickly.

Loved the article the other day about how he's building his fitness and explosiveness too, and working with Lappo as a mentor.

Most kids at his age are thrilled to just be an AFL player, and they'll figure the rest out later. A lot of times, that 'later' never comes. It's a bloody tough industry for the youngsters.

Stevens on the other hand has been introspective enough to find out the flaws in his game, and has made the conscious effort to do everything he can to improve them.

Shows great leadership and maturity IMO to be able to do that, and if you give him another pre-season or two, he could be a star in the making.

A lot of players have a good attitude and such, but he seems like he has that mixed with self-confidence and belief. I think he makes. Sooner than we expect, too.

Haven’t watched the past few vfl games but what is Murdoch doing that people are starting to like?
What type of player is he and can anyone give me a run down of how Edward’s played yesterday and what attitudes you took away.

TIA

Can't comment on the Sydney game, but there was a things I noticed in the previous couple of games at KP
  • His positioning when the opposition had the ball; knew when to hold to his opponent versus when to leave his man to drop into the hole or go to an open player
  • Took a number of intercept marks, especially against GWS
  • Then also knew when going for a spoil to the boundary line was the better option than going the mark

Watching him, I'd describe him as having those football smarts which aren't necessarily easy to teach

Now it's all about his development

Haven’t watched the past few vfl games but what is Murdoch doing that people are starting to like?
What type of player is he and can anyone give me a run down of how Edward’s played yesterday and what attitudes you took away.

TIA
Good defender who seems to be developing the intercept and attacking parts of his game more. Pretty solid back three now of Capiron, Jeka and Murdoch who can all sag off and take an intercept when needed.

TIA
Murdoch IMO is at best, an ok VFL level player. I wouldn't hold much hope of him being around for too long.

Edwards on the other hand looks a very likely type... he was aggressive in the ruck, can certainly win a tap and can take a high leaping overhead grab. He is years away but has the talent.

This is no slight on Conway whatsoever, as we all love him...but you can mount a very solid argument that Edwards is the more gifted footballer of the two.

We haven't had an AA/Top 5 calibre ruckman since Ottens, if we develop these boys properly we might have two of them.

Opens a whole other can of worms if it happens that way, but it'll be a good problem to have considering where we've been for the best part of 15 years.
Whoosh - is the sound that Edwards makes as he goes straight past Shannon Neale in the pecking order next year. After a full pre season I could easily see him playing games as a forward while he develops leaving Conway to play ruck. Edwards looks to be far more competitive by nature than Neale.

I think Edwards could develop into a good forward too?

Be a nice problem to have if they both turn out as great players!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoosh - is the sound that Edwards makes as he goes straight past Shannon Neale in the pecking order next year. After a full pre season I could easily see him playing games as a forward while he develops leaving Conway to play ruck. Edwards looks to be far more competitive by nature than Neale.
I do like the idea of him coming in early and playing forward but that time frame seems pretty optimistic for a kid who looks like he couldn't bench more than 70kg. There might be plenty of fight in that dog but he'll still get rag dolled for a good couple of years

Curious on others thoughts - the suggestion was raised on FB that we should be drafting our VFL captain, Dan Capiron come seasons end as he's been a good VFL player for us over recent seasons

What do those who watch the VFL more regularly than I can think of the suggestion?

I kinda get the impression that those who think it's a good option don't realise how old Capiron is, as there's even been the argument that we drafted mature aged Atkins - difference being that Atkins was 23 when drafted and Capiron is about to turn 28

My thoughts are that if a team is looking at a 28yr first time draftee, that said draftee has to be the best player in their position not currently on an AFL list & they'd slot straight into the best 22 - I'm not sure we'd get that with Capiron and as such if it's the best use of a list spot, compared with drafting a younger player who develops during their time on the list

Curious on others thoughts - the suggestion was raised on FB that we should be drafting our VFL captain, Dan Capiron come seasons end as he's been a good VFL player for us over recent seasons

What do those who watch the VFL more regularly than I can think of the suggestion?

I kinda get the impression that those who think it's a good option don't realise how old Capiron is, as there's even been the argument that we drafted mature aged Atkins - difference being that Atkins was 23 when drafted and Capiron is about to turn 28

My thoughts are that if a team is looking at a 28yr first time draftee, that said draftee has to be the best player in their position not currently on an AFL list & they'd slot straight into the best 22 - I'm not sure we'd get that with Capiron and as such if it's the best use of a list spot, compared with drafting a younger player who develops during their time on the list

We should have done it 2 years ago but the ship has sailed now.

We should have done it 2 years ago but the ship has sailed now.
As a long time VFL viewer he hasn't always had this role though. Came in and back when I used to meet Rabbi etc he was a HFF flanker. Pre-covid played a lot on the wing.

Only in recent seasons has he played behind the footy.

TIA

His type of player his hard to read, it is the off the ball stuff that makes or breaks them. Would spend his day making space be less dangerous. He moves well, has a neat left boot. Seems a well rounded type. An inbetweener, not sure how he would fit in at AFL level, too small to be a key, not enough rebound to be a small. Could be kolodjashnij sized Henry

The VFL side could be on top of the ladder on Sunday should we beat Port Melbourne, since the Dogs have the bye this weekend.

After being 2 games clear on top of the ladder two weeks ago, the Bulldogs could drop to 4th on the ladder if Werribee, Southport and us all win.

The VFL side could be on top of the ladder on Sunday should we beat Port Melbourne, since the Dogs have the bye this weekend.

After being 2 games clear on top of the ladder two weeks ago, the Bulldogs could drop to 4th on the ladder if Werribee, Southport and us all win.
The vfl side has really pulled it together this year.
And its starts with Capiron.
Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back