VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

At the time I did not understand the selection decisions, which was the point of my posts.

After the way the game played out i feel like i understand them better now.

Not sure if i agree with them, but I definitely understand them better.

If by apoplexy you mean “extreme anger” then I must have been poor at communicating my emotions.

Was I confused? Yes. Was I angry? Not even close.

You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry
Wow, scary stuff!

Conway hadn’t played for 3 weeks. And then he played a full game in the twos.

He was right to play, the mc chose not to play him.

Pretty radical decision considering we played with SDK as our #1 ruck.
It was more radical to play no ruck and keep our worst in league midfield the same.

Zuthrie was always a one on one defender first though. His lack of strength was a key problem. Humphries is a rebounder first. Yes he needs to develop his body but it shouldn't be a problem to start getting games.

Zuthrie was also being held out of vastly superior teams from 2017-2021 than what we are now.
LH will be fine. He's 21 and bigger in frame than Jordan Clark still is not to mention close. Needs to come in for mullin asap

I've loved every minute of Brad Closes career but I agree and would bring in Mannagh for him rather than Hardie.

Amen to put a rocket up close but scott wont do it.

That's such a cop out. Every single player at VFL level is asked to play various positions some of which aren't ideal for them.

Humphries and O'Sullivan are being moved up to a wing regularly. Hardie and Knevitt have played deep forward for significant periods.

He's a forward/mid playing exclusively forward and mid. Yesterday it was more deep forward. Other games have been more a blend of mid forward. It's not like we're putting him in a back pocket.

If you noticed you would see that some of us are not complaining solely about mannagh we have pointed out a number of other players being played out of position including knevitt and hardie.

The point is with younger players theres an excuse because you dont know what their best position is and youre trying to find out. However mannagh at 26 theres a body of work where its blatantly obvious what his best position is and isnt. If geelong arent aware of by now im not sure what they are watching. Playing him as a forward is not development and he wont suddenly become one. If they arent playing him as a small mid then drafting him was pointless.

Which brings me back to the original question.
Wells clearly did not spend a r2 on a 26yo to sit him behind stengle close and miers all year (and before anyone says dempsey hes playing mainly wing which is the point) so clearly the recruiter thinks hes afl standard as a mid. Whereas the afl coaches wont pick him and the vfl coach (apparently on instruction) wont play him there.

So who is wrong in their opinion of mannagh-the recruiter or the coaches? So one of them definitely is.

My issue isnt that you disagree with people who want mannagh picked (thats fine) its that you seem to keep suggesting the reason is some third option that doesnt exist in reality. Theres only two possible answers here.

If you noticed you would see that some of us are not complaining solely about mannagh we have pointed out a number of other players being played out of position including knevitt and hardie.

The point is with younger players theres an excuse because you dont know what their best position is and youre trying to find out. However mannagh at 26 theres a body of work where its blatantly obvious what his best position is and isnt. If geelong arent aware of by now im not sure what they are watching. Playing him as a forward is not development and he wont suddenly become one. If they arent playing him as a small mid then drafting him was pointless.

Wells clearly did not spend a r2 on a 26yo to sit him behind stengle close and miers all year (and before anyone says dempsey hes playing mainly wing which is the point) so clearly the recruiter thinks hes afl standard as a mid. Whereas the afl coaches wont pick him and the vfl coach (apparently on instruction) wont play him there.

So who is wrong in their opinion of mannagh-the recruiter or the coaches? So one of them definitely is.

My issue isnt that you disagree with people who want mannagh picked (thats fine) its that you seem to keep suggesting the reason is some third option that doesnt exist in reality. Theres only two possible answers here.
I'm starting to think you're actually Shaun Mannagh PO.

That, or he's kidnapped you and for some bizarre reason traversed your bank details and went straight to the BigFooty account.

Wells clearly did not spend a r2 on a 26yo to sit him behind stengle close and miers all year (and before anyone says dempsey hes playing mainly wing which is the point) so clearly the recruiter thinks hes afl standard as a mid.

I've got no idea why you've convinced yourself of this. Here's a direct quote from Wells after we drafted him where he described him as a small forward first and said that he would provide depth (bolding mine):

"Shaun will come in and provide depth whether it be as the smaller forward or the midfielder that can play a variety of different roles"

Clearly Wells had him in a similar bucket to Close, Miers, Stengle and Dempsey types. My guess is it's abundantly clear from training he's not good enough inside to be an AFL inside mid (hardly surprising given his size) and so they're playing him where he's most likely to get a game at AFL level. He's unlucky that Dempsey has rocketed up, we've had no injuries in that position and he hasn't bashed the door down at VFL level to convince us to pick him.

I'm hoping the injured part is a bit outdated, but that the next part explains Joe's current absence:

Joe, who is injured, has been granted personal leave by the Cats, and travelled with his parents to Brooklyn for the draft. The family arrived in New York on Tuesday [Melbourne time], Richard revealing with pride that Johnny was coping well under the spotlight created by his stunning rise.

And for those who weren't quite aware of the sporting history of the Furphy family:

The Furphy family are high achievers. Furphy’s father Richard was a strong VAFA player and Broderick’s assistant coach, his mother, Liza, was an elite diver. Daughter Holly is playing soccer at Santa Clara University in California, while Joe was a promising basketballer, who had the chance to head to college, before forging his own path with the Cats.

+ Johnny who's about to become an NBA player

VFL Round 14
Geelong v Sandringham
GMHBA Stadium - Geelong
12.05pm AEST, Sunday 30 June

In: Oisin Mullin, Hunter Gottschling, Ryley Hutchins
Out: Lawson Humphries (AFL), Mitch Knevitt (AFL), Shannon Neale (AFL)

BackC. O'Sullivan (14)D. Capiron (50)O. Murdoch (31)
Half BackS. Mannagh (7)E. Jeka (43)M. Herbert (62)
CentreJ. Bews (24)M. Hardie (41)O. Mullin (34)
Half ForwardP. Foster (19)T. Clohesy (40)J. Willis (20)
ForwardT. Murray (61)T. Conway (6)R. Stanley (1)
RuckM. Edwards (11)B. Parfitt (3)G. Stevens (15)
INTD. Edmends (53)R. Hutchins (76)H. Gottschling (77)
P. Hughes (64)H. Lucas (82)
EMGK. Bradtke (48)W. Sheahan (72)H. Sinnott (65)
T. Lewis (66)T. Lovell (78)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that bradtke can’t get a game. Emergency spot only
There are 15 AFL listed players playing and that includes 3 rucks and a tall forward. Can see why he's been squeezed out.

Edwards named in the ruck and Conway named at full forward is odd, I'd expect Conway to be on the ball building his fitness as much as possible. Has he spent much time forward in the seconds?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back