VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Not exactly true - he's had a few less impactful matches of late in such he wasn't recognised by the coaches in the votes

And don't forgot that VFL form isn't the only selection criteria they'd be looking at, but also what happening at training every week and maybe in that environment he's not pushing himself above those currently in the senior team

Rarely do our coaches get non-selections wrong, so maybe we've got to trust that if Hardie isn't pushing for senior selection, there's more than just what's on show in the VFL behind that decision

To be fair they didnt pick mannagh for 12 weeks and saturday shows the should have picked him earlirer. So who's to say they arent wrong on hardie also.

Its all about the now , and that is Geelong trying to win this years premiership , and in my opinion Clark is not ready for that , in 2 years time he might be the next Haydn Bunton , i hope he is

But i wouldnt mind one of the other 2nds players being given an opportunity in the seniors

But it's not all about the now. Even if we're absolutely all eggs into the current premiership which we're not the grand final isn't played until the last week in September. Yes we need to make finals but then it's all about peaking in September.

So at round 1 did we think Clark in his 2nd game was our best option? Or did we think he might become important with 20 games under his belt later in the year?

When we dropped Parfitt, O'Connor and Stanley were they clearly not best 22? Not for mine. But I think we decided we needed better so gambled on something different with time for that plan to play out before finals.

Did we leave Mannagh out for so long because we thought he wasn't in our best team? Or did we think there were a few things that could be fixed with a bit of tough love that would make him a better long-term player? Certainly we saw a massive increase in defensive intensity compared to early in the year.

I don't know the answer to these questions but selection of fringe players is about a lot more than just picking the guys absolutely most likely to get you the win on that day.

But it's not all about the now. Even if we're absolutely all eggs into the current premiership which we're not the grand final isn't played until the last week in September. Yes we need to make finals but then it's all about peaking in September.

So at round 1 did we think Clark in his 2nd game was our best option? Or did we think he might become important with 20 games under his belt later in the year?

When we dropped Parfitt, O'Connor and Stanley were they clearly not best 22? Not for mine. But I think we decided we needed better so gambled on something different with time for that plan to play out before finals.

Did we leave Mannagh out for so long because we thought he wasn't in our best team? Or did we think there were a few things that could be fixed with a bit of tough love that would make him a better long-term player? Certainly we saw a massive increase in defensive intensity compared to early in the year.

I don't know the answer to these questions but selection of fringe players is about a lot more than just picking the guys absolutely most likely to get you the win on that day.
Yeah from the outside it appears like Mannagh was asked to work on two aspects of his game, the MC clearly think it has taken this long to get there, and the results were outstanding. Let’s all hope follows up with another great performance, or solid at least.

To say he cost us games though over the past 12 rounds not playing AFL is a massive reach.

The same people bashing Parfitt used to bash Varcoe, and will soon turn on Humphrey. It’s not rocket science.

I think that's a bit of a stretch. While it's likely that the Parfitt-bashers on the forum will move on to another undeserving target for their hate when Parf is no longer at the club, I doubt it'll be for the colour of his skin.

I feel a bit for Hardie.

I mean like everyone here… I also can find faults in his game. He certainly isn’t perfect.

But neither are guys like Mullin, Parfitt, Knevitt, MOC, Clark… heck even COS got an early season run.

Good things has happened since we changed it up and got some well performed VFL guys into the side (Mannagh, Humphries and Knevitt).

Whilst I don’t think Hardie is B23… I don’t think a bunch of guy are either and they have copped plenty of games.

Hardie has performed about as good as anyone in our VFL and has been very consistent.

This shows me he is super fit.

I think we missed a chance to give him a birth in that Tigers game.

Not sure if he will get a debut.

I don’t think he is B23… But I still feel he has been a tad stiff and feel for him.
I agree with most of that. For some reason Hardie is underrated by a section of posters here and on the AFL forums. I was at Box Hill oval on the weekend to see Hardie dominate that game. His numbers were obviously through the roof but you have to be at the game to see how hard he goes in to contests and his impressive work rate. He was moved to full forward in the last quarter to add some spark and he immediately took a great mark and followed up with a goal. I think he is way ahead of Clark at this stage. Clark has potential but he's undersized and gets pushed around and doesn't yet have the engine to play out games. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hardie elevated this week.

I agree with most of that. For some reason Hardie is underrated by a section of posters here and on the AFL forums. I was at Box Hill oval on the weekend to see Hardie dominate that game. His numbers were obviously through the roof but you have to be at the game to see how hard he goes in to contests and his impressive work rate. He was moved to full forward in the last quarter to add some spark and he immediately took a great mark and followed up with a goal. I think he is way ahead of Clark at this stage. Clark has potential but he's undersized and gets pushed around and doesn't yet have the engine to play out games. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hardie elevated this week.
Probably wanted Charlie Constable playing ones every week over Zach Guthrie back 2019/20 because he racking it up every week in the VFL. Same argument.

Thought Clohesy was BOG yesterday. Maniacal at the ball, maniacal at the ball carrier and any oppo in his way. Got flattened by Hawks #55 ( capt) and was at bottom of pack when the brawl started after getting a few cheapies.

Way better game than Hardie IMO who had more touches. Agree Clohesy needs to improve delivery but with that said he is like PFD in that he just gets in there, gets the ball and gets it out ( no im not saying hes PFD or PFD lite)

He and Atkins are very similar and could maybe play in the same side but if any poster ever complains about a best 23 player not putting in hard enough, then Ted is your guy to replace them. And he kicks goals.

GO Catters
I was at the game at Box Hill oval. I agree Clohesy had a good game and you can't fault him for effort. However Hardie was the best and most effective player on the ground by a long way. The coaches votes that come out on Wednesday will back that up.

Probably wanted Charlie Constable playing ones every week over Zach Guthrie back 2019/20 because he racking it up every week in the VFL. Same argument.
Not quite. The obvious difference is that Constable got 16 games at AFL level, 12 at Geelong and 4 at Gold Coast. You might want to argue that Constable was a much better player than Hardie.

Not quite. The obvious difference is that Constable got 16 games at AFL level, 12 at Geelong and 4 at Gold Coast. You might want to argue that Constable was a much better player than Hardie.
The result will be the same in a year or two and the mc will be vindicated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had more than a couple of terrible short passes. I just don’t see a game in Hardie that translates into AFL. Capiron also burnt at least 3 at critical times.
And Parfitt turned it over like he was flipping pancakes. It was a scrappy game and there were a lot of turnovers from both teams. I'd rather a player gets 38 disposals, 8 clearances, kicks a couple of goals and turns several over than a guy who gets 25 disposals and turns over at the same rate.

I was at the game at Box Hill oval. I agree Clohesy had a good game and you can't fault him for effort. However Hardie was the best and most effective player on the ground by a long way. The coaches votes that come out on Wednesday will back that up.
im watching from 17000kms away on a shitty camera feed so I have limitations ( not being ungrateful as its WAY better than nothing) but I can only comment on what I see.

GO Catters

And Parfitt turned it over like he was flipping pancakes. It was a scrappy game and there were a lot of turnovers from both teams. I'd rather a player gets 38 disposals, 8 clearances, kicks a couple of goals and turns several over than a guy who gets 25 disposals and turns over at the same rate.
Parf was trying some low % Miers type kicks and they just didnt come off.

And he was waiting on his disposal too wanting a better option to appear... and then it didnt so he'd have to dump kick or make it someone elses problem.

Saw him get mad a few times - both at himself and others when it didnt work.

GO Catters

Im not sure we will have many changes after last week but hardie might get a gig for the north melb game.

And he was waiting on his disposal too wanting a better option to appear... and then it didnt so he'd have to dump kick or make it someone elses problem.

That's been a problem his whole career. For whatever reason the better options he keeps hoping for never seem to materialise. Would it kill you guys to feckin' lead to me, he must be thinking.

That's been a problem his whole career. For whatever reason the better options he keeps hoping for never seem to materialise. Would it kill you guys to feckin' lead to me, he must be thinking.
Parfits problem is he's burnt so many forwards by doing his little dance waiting for something better or for him to be able to have a shot that the forwards hate it when he has the ball so have given up leading to him

Maybe we see Hardie now?
View attachment 2043799
Lewis Hamilton Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

To say he cost us games though over the past 12 rounds not playing AFL is a massive reach.
Not sure anyone has said this.

What they have said is that we lost six games out of seven and the MC continued picking the same players when they could have tried someone else.

When they did try someone else, we won a game. Does that mean picking the new players caused us to win the game? Far from it. But new players can contribute enthusiasm to the team and lead to improved performances by the older players as well as improved team spirit and energy.

I would argue that has happened the past two weeks with Humphries, Knevitt and Mannagh.

The idea that the MC, or the coaches, had Mannagh playing in the VFL for half a season 'to work on two aspects of his game' is pure speculation.

There's nothing wrong with speculation - that's what most of what this board is made up of - but let's not pretend it's anything else.

What they have said is that we lost six games out of seven and the MC continued picking the same players when they could have tried someone else.

When they did try someone else, we won a game.

It is an unbelievably long bow to think picking Humphries or Knevitt against Essendon sparked the turnaround. You switch them for Mullin and O'Connor and the result is the same. Danger, Stewart, Cameron and Blicavs returning to form and having our first game of competent ruck work in months was the change.

And they tried a lot of stuff. Dozens of different midfield combos, 3 different number 1 rucks, Cameron, Stewart, Holmes and SDK being shifted around massively.

Completely shifting the roles of your best players is much more daring than choosing Mullin vs Humphries, O'Connor vs Knevitt, Clark vs Hardie, etc. Switching one bit part role player for another is just window dressing. Switching the competition's best defender into midfield or your gun young full back into the ruck to counter gaping holes in the team and having these moves work are incredibly gutsy and have the potential to reshape our season.

Voting from last weekend's matches and the overall leaderboard.

Hardie, Herbert and Clohesy got votes. All had solid games. Interesting that Clohesy has snuck into the overall top ten.

Box Hill Hawks 10.12 (72) def Geelong Cats 10.11 (71)

9 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
8 Josh Ward (BHH)
7 Marcus Herbert (GEE)
2 Finn Maginness (BHH)
2 Callum Porter (BHH)
1 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
1 Jai Serong (BHH)

LEADERBOARD

76 Dom Brew (WER)
66 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
60 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
57 Jacob Dawson (SOU)