Vic girls take footy fight to court

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by ozzult
If this has been getting media attention in Victoria, and they end up playing this season, I reckon they will get pummeled. I know that if I was 15 and saw these girls on TV all the time, and then ended up playing against them, I wouldn't hold back.

If it's a fair bump, play on is the call.
some of the guys i played with would be lineing them up from the first bounce.
these blokes always lined up anyone with a shaved head (they got free beers from each other for all legal strecher cases)

Originally posted by Appleyard
Then why are we punishing the girls who want to play because men cannot handle it?
Interesting point of view. I would say we aren't. We are preventing them playing against men as we prevent men playing tennis in womens comps. We don't do that for the benefit of men, we do it for the benefit of the women - or I would out of simple common sense.

Even if you are right, the mere fact men can't handle it is actually a fair enough reason. Assume you are right and men can't handle it. Where does that leave the competition? Back to women v women but with no mens comp. Of course that is taking the point to ridiculous extreme.

More to the point, we aren't punnishing the girls. The fact not enough other girls want to play footy at their age is the issue IMO.
What would have happened if society in general had never limited our thinking on what people could or could not do? We'd have had no qualms about tackling the girl as we would have respected her as an opponent, rather than patronised her as a fragile girl.
It's not just about fragility IMO. It also about playing sport against comperable opponents in general. It's silly to say that because woman x is as strong as man y there is something like equality of strength between men and women. The fact that a few hundred years ago some people wrongly thought white's were superior to blacks doesn't mean all comparisons are invalid. Whites are not superior in the sence once thought by those people but if you look generally there are differences. It isn't about quality, it's about reality. There are reasons why blacks have better speed on average. There are reasons why men are generally stronger also. It isn't just a strength differnce though. Brains are different also. The gap between the right and left hemisphere is bigger for men making multitasking more difficuilty for them. I really don't see why we have to shy away from differences. In regards to men and women in sport, it just isn't an even match in many sports. We rightly don't let an under 12 boxer go up against an adult boxer just because he wants to. We also rightly don't let the aqdult box in the u12's.
If these two girls have the skills and physique to play footy and can afford the insurance then the only thing stopping them is "male" attitudes.
Perhaps so. I tend to think that's a simplification but in any event that doesn’t make it wrong by definition. What is more important though is the fact that regardless of the physique and skill of these particular females, what happens when the next one comes along who is not as suited to footy or when the next boy want to joint the girls league? Personally I wouldn't have much problem with case by case assessment in principle but the practicalities worry me and that is Pandora ’s Box.
Work through it fellas, because it is an issue that is NEVER going to go away.
That's probably true but does that make a difference to the "right" answer? Of course "right" is subjective and perhaps such absolutes are non existent but the fact it is likely to be an issue by no means means letting them play is for the best. It may well be expedient but is that a good thing of itself?
Give it another couple of generations and we'll see more flexible rules on females in sport. Maybe another couple of generations after that and we'll have professional open teams in some contact sports, though they will not earn as much as the mens teams.
Perhaps. At a prfessional level it depends what the punters want to pay for. At an ameture level it depends what the participants will accept. I wouoldn't be surprised to see mixed teams but I would be surprised to see only mixed teams.

With a few honourable exceptions the misogny on display here is revolting. Surely you can discuss the issue rationally - regardless of what your opinion is - without resorting to s******ing about menstruation and female body parts.

Originally posted by Nikita Blue
With a few honourable exceptions the misogny on display here is revolting. Surely you can discuss the issue rationally - regardless of what your opinion is - without resorting to s******ing about menstruation and female body parts.

Yes, but do you think it would be an issue if a player grabbed one of the girls breasts?

Originally posted by skipper kelly
Yes, but do you think it would be an issue if a player grabbed one of the girls breasts?
It would be reportable just like when a girl grabs at guys nuts.

Because I'm a 20 year old male, I fall into the high risk category as a driver. I pay more on my insurance premium than girls my age, even though I've never had an accident.

Now tell me what constitutes sex discrimination again.

The fact that you'd smash the living daylights out of anyone while playing sport is worrying. It stops being about skill and becomes a match based solely on brute force. Isn't this what many people cite as the reason for their dislike of, say, rugby league?

Obviously I'd do it within the rules, in an attempt to gain possession of the football ro to help retain possession. I am a fan of League, love the physical nature of it. Brute force, speed, skill etc all has a place in our game - because I am not the quickest bloke going around you have to make up for it by being better or more intense in some other areas.

Like it or not, people love to see opposition players get cleaned up or laid out in a solid tackle. It invokes the most passion in the game IMO.

Like I said before, I couldn't bring myself to use my best attributes as a footballer on a women playing simply as a matter of principal. I can't see how it is 'fair' to let these girls play when it it could potentially ruin it for the many players who share my opinions.

Obviously I'd do it within the rules, in an attempt to gain possession of the football ro to help retain possession. I am a fan of League, love the physical nature of it. Brute force, speed, skill etc all has a place in our game - because I am not the quickest bloke going around you have to make up for it by being better or more intense in some other areas.

Like it or not, people love to see opposition players get cleaned up or laid out in a solid tackle. It invokes the most passion in the game IMO.

Like I said before, I couldn't bring myself to use my best attributes as a footballer on a women playing simply as a matter of principal. I can't see how it is 'fair' to let these girls play when it it could potentially ruin it for the many players who share my opinions

EXACTLY

Originally posted by SonOfScray

Like I said before, I couldn't bring myself to use my best attributes as a footballer on a women playing simply as a matter of principal. I can't see how it is 'fair' to let these girls play when it it could potentially ruin it for the many players who share my opinions.

Nah, just throw away those doubts and smash the bloody shiela into the ground, it will make you feel good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Vic girls take footy fight to court

Remove this Banner Ad

Back