Remove this Banner Ad

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I have a genuine question as to why teams complain about a #VICBIAS , but before you answer why you think there is one, please read these facts before you do:

All these facts were before each club CHOSE to enter the competition, not changed after-

- The GF has been locked in at the G for years, that was the case before any club entered from outside Vic, and let's be honest, as the home of footy, was never likely to be changed either
- In fact, at the time of entering the comp, at least 1 Prelim was meant to be guaranteed at the G also, that has actually moved back to teams earning the right to host
- When choosing to enter the comp, there was already 10 teams in Melb... THIS IS NOT NEW. Non-Vic teams where always going to have to travel every second week while Vic teams play away games still in VIC. Where do you expect Vic teams to play away games against other Vic teams... no seriously, where?
- People whinge it's still the old VFL... It is, the AFL is not a newly formed comp, it is a rebranded/renamed version of the existing comp non Vic teams again CHOSE to join

On the flip side, things that are now (or at one time have been) in place that weren't in place before No Vic teams joined the comp:

- National draft, gone are the days every kid in a zone was linked to that club. By weight of numbers alone, Vic produces the most talent at U18 levels, and that is now open and available to ALL teams to select talent in the draft
- Academy Zones, traditionally for non Vic states, even though now each club has its own zone.
- Salary Cap relief/Cola, again for periods of time, Non Vic teams at one time or another have been given advantages not afforded to Vic Teams

Now I'm a West Australian, and if there was a proper SOO match tomorrow, I would be in the Sandgropers corner in a heart beat, so this is not coming from your "typical Victorian"...
And I certainly appreciate and respect the fact that Non-Vic teams have to travel a hell of a lot more than Vic teams...

So the question, honestly is this, if each Non-Vic club knew all of these FACTS before they CHOSE to enter the competition, why is there all a sudden a cry of #VICBIAS

If it was soooo bad, why did your clubs still want to enter the competition?

The results are clear, if you want to finish top4 and win a flag...be a non-Melbourne team.
Lol. Twaddle. Only 1 year since the Royal Commission has the top 4 been dominated by non Vic sides, 3 of the top 4 in 2015 were Non Victorian clubs, and guess what, the MCG Tennant ended up winning the Premiership.

With the exception of Crows, I'll always barrack for the Non Vic Team over the Vic team. You are right its not state of origin (I won't support the other team from my state), but due to the injustices and rigging of the comp to favour the Victorian side, I tend to support the underdog, which given the injustices and rigging of the league, just happens to always be the non Victorian side.

The "we don't support other Victorian clubs" is such a furphy too. I mean its hilarious that 4 of the top 5 posters on this thread are supporters of the most looked after club in the league, defending the indefensible with the vigour of Hermann Goring at Nuremburg, but look how they all band together to defend Team Victoria.

Do you honestly think that the Eagles are the underdog team v say North or the Saints? Richest most powerful sporting club in Australia v two very small and underfunded clubs.

Do you honestly think that the Eagles are the underdog team v say North or the Saints? Richest most powerful sporting club in Australia v two very small and underfunded clubs.
Saints v The Eagles might be about the only occassion I might waiver (although not with Lyon as coach), North shouldn't be in the League so there is no point to that.

So, is Richmond an outlier as well?

Or Geelong and Hawthorn?
Richmond have finished bottom 4 more times than they have made top4. After being shit for majority of the 21st century they had a fleeting period where they challenged. To win flags they won finals in QLD and SA and it was Dusty driven more than being at the G.

Geelong and Hawthorn are the two VIC based teams that play the least games in Melbourne.

Geelong are not a Melbourne based team.

Tassie Hawks also normally play 9-10 games outside VIC each year.

So yes, if you want to finish top4 and win a flag, you want to play most of your games outside of Melbourne.

Lol. Twaddle. Only 1 year since the Royal Commission has the top 4 been dominated by non Vic sides, 3 of the top 4 in 2015 were Non Victorian clubs, and guess what, the MCG Tennant ended up winning the Premiership.
Try reading. Non-Melbourne.

It is only lazy SA sooks that run with VICBias trying to pretend all VIC teams are the same.

It is the Melbourne based teams that were shafted by AFL House policy.

Geelong and Tassie Hawks (the successful VIC clubs) fixtures are much closer to Port and Sydney than it is to Carlton, Ess or Coll.

The fixture clearly favours teams who have a home ground advantage, aka the non-Melbourne based teams.

I think this thread is done.
There is clearly no Vic Bias. The bias favours teams that predominantly play outside of Melbourne. Can the whinging and tantruming and throwing insults please stop now.
It's really quite tiresome and pathetic, and the adults have had quite enough.
You're joking right?

If all the Vic teams pulled out of the league they would still sook, trust me, I lived in WA, they were sooking before this league was made.

With the exception of Crows, I'll always barrack for the Non Vic Team over the Vic team. You are right its not state of origin (I won't support the other team from my state), but due to the injustices and rigging of the comp to favour the Victorian side, I tend to support the underdog, which given the injustices and rigging of the league, just happens to always be the non Victorian side.

The "we don't support other Victorian clubs" is such a furphy too. I mean its hilarious that 4 of the top 5 posters on this thread are supporters of the most looked after club in the league, defending the indefensible with the vigour of Hermann Goring at Nuremburg, but look how they all band together to defend Team Victoria.

Big footy could well be very vicbias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but due to the injustices and rigging of the comp to favour the Victorian side
And has been explained eleventy gazillion times to you (and everyone else), for a myriad of reasons, these 'injustices and rigging' is not a deliberate conspiracy designed to punch down on non vic - as much as you want it to be. So you can express your hand wringing.
The "we don't support other Victorian clubs" is such a furphy too
As much as you want it to be it isn't, you don't have evidence, only flimsy at best conspiracy theories.
but look how they all band together to defend Team Victoria.
This is the imagination of your warped mind, as much as you want it to be to support your bitter and twisted conspiracy theories it isn't.

You know that this particular prictorian will be barracking hard for any team to beat the blose, the bomb outs or the tigs. That goes for the most of us, same for fans of our enemies

That includes your mob, I don't care much for port, they're not our enemy, they don't matter to us, but much more so than the 3 enemies, I only want your mob to beat them.

So you claim that you couldn't give a sh*t about this comp anymore, you don't watch it anymore, yet here you are gnashing your teeth with your wild conspiracy theories.

If you didn't care you wouldn't be here, you'd only be here advocating for non vic fans the same thing I do.

If you don't like it, vote with your feet and remotes. Go watch your wafl or sanfl or whatever it was you're able to watch before the vfl expanded and your brand new franchised clubs were born for the whole purpose to participate in the expansion (port excepted).

If you all did that you'd all be much happier, but almost zero of you will, and I know why.

Only real way to try and eliminate the issue is to have WA clubs spend time in hubs interstate so they could do all the away games in blocks of 2 - 4 weeks and do the same when they return home

But obviously extended stints away from home raises other issues as well

Unless we just get the afl to standardise the entire Timezone of Australia
I’m sure the AFL could pull in a few favours to make it happen
Geography dictates that it's either a lot of travel or a lot of time away from home. Either or, there'll be disadvantage / whinging.

Honestly, it just can't work.

To alleviate this, what would be ideal now is have a governing body for all the state leagues and then a play off of champions.

Non vics can't whinge anymore, and the vics can carry on their rivalries without the noisy chip on the shoulder types.

Geography dictates that it's either a lot of travel or a lot of time away from home. Either or, there'll be disadvantage / whinging.

Honestly, it just can't work.

To alleviate this, what would be ideal now is have a governing body for all the state leagues and then a play off of champions.

Non vics can't whinge anymore, and the vics can carry on their rivalries without the noisy chip on the shoulder types.
It's easier to let someone else (Victoria) do all the heavy lifting, the non-Vics can and do just sit on their lazy arses and cry about it.

Collingwood is the outlier, almost all Collingwood fans realise that we are lucky to support the Melbourne team that has the best deal.

Our results are aligned to that of a non-Melbourne team.

We are the lucky Melbourne club.

The rest, battle for scraps and are clearly the most disadvantaged of all teams.

The results are clear, if you want to finish top4 and win a flag...be a non-Melbourne team.
Yeah right!
Cant wait in a few years when it’s 22 - 2 Victorian premierships favour and all those vic supporters are up in arms because more non vic teams are making the top 4 consistently !! How unfair!! Sooo disadvantaged. Ffs

Yeah right!
Cant wait in a few years when it’s 22 - 2 Victorian premierships favour and all those vic supporters are up in arms because more non vic teams are making the top 4 consistently !! How unfair!! Sooo disadvantaged. Ffs
Back in 2024 reality, we will most likely see Sydney have their 10th top4 finish of the 21st century and are overwhelming favs to make their 7th Grand Final.

Sydney alone have already appeared in 6 GFs in the 21st century (and a strong chance for 7 this year) the same number that - Carl, Ess, Melb, StK, WB and NM - have combined to play in.

But you have Sydney sooks thinking it is Melbourne teams that are advantaged!? 🤔

Hey all.
I heard there was another Vicbias free at death last night, I thought this thread would be full of non-Vics letting us all know about it.

I didn't watch the game, so what happened this time?
It was more that within 5 minutes it was obvious the gutless AFL umpires were going to make high and dangerous tackles their focus for the night at the expense of holding the ball. Brisbane kept playing the game without adjusting and St Kilda started looking to create situations where they'd be rewarded with free kicks.

Nothing to do with Vic Bias, just a team realising they weren't going to outplay their opposition and so try another tactic to keep them in the game and slow momentum. It almost worked as St. Kilda were only 7 points behind with about 10 minutes to go despite Brisbane playing better for most of the game.

That being said the dangerous tackle free kick against Cameron was pathetic and incompetent umpiring. St. Kilda player in space needlessly left the ground, received the ball and because he's left the ground when he didn't need to creates a situation where his forward momentum is taking his head towards the ground at a dangerous angle. Cameron did extremely well not to have the St. Kilda player's head hit the ground.

The free against Zorko for dangerous tackle was wrong but could at least see why the umpire paid it. The forward momentum of the St Kilda player caused Zorko to use more force and the tackle started slingy. Zorko was the able to get the tackle back under control and it ended up being a safe tackle. Both of these tackles had the potential to cause serious injury to the St. Kilda player's but didn't because of the actions of the Brisbane players. Instead of being penalised, both players should be praised as the actions they took are what we want players to do to ensure player safety.

It was more that within 5 minutes it was obvious the gutless AFL umpires were going to make high and dangerous tackles their focus for the night at the expense of holding the ball. Brisbane kept playing the game without adjusting and St Kilda started looking to create situations where they'd be rewarded with free kicks.

Nothing to do with Vic Bias, just a team realising they weren't going to outplay their opposition and so try another tactic to keep them in the game and slow momentum. It almost worked as St. Kilda were only 7 points behind with about 10 minutes to go despite Brisbane playing better for most of the game.

That being said the dangerous tackle free kick against Cameron was pathetic and incompetent umpiring. St. Kilda player in space needlessly left the ground, received the ball and because he's left the ground when he didn't need to creates a situation where his forward momentum is taking his head towards the ground at a dangerous angle. Cameron did extremely well not to have the St. Kilda player's head hit the ground.

The free against Zorko for dangerous tackle was wrong but could at least see why the umpire paid it. The forward momentum of the St Kilda player caused Zorko to use more force and the tackle started slingy. Zorko was the able to get the tackle back under control and it ended up being a safe tackle. Both of these tackles had the potential to cause serious injury to the St. Kilda player's but didn't because of the actions of the Brisbane players. Instead of being penalised, both players should be praised as the actions they took are what we want players to do to ensure player safety.
Yep, I thought it would be about the frees paid to St.Kilda.

Read what you just said, then ask why we call some of you sooks, there might be an answer here.

It's easier to let someone else (Victoria) do all the heavy lifting, the non-Vics can and do just sit on their lazy arses and cry about it.

It's supporters having a sook, but with the case of WA travel the articles have become pretty regular - the WA clubs are pushing for something. We know it's not an extra club in WA - even though that would help reduce travel - they want to be massive clubs. My bet it's as simple as they're pushing to allow clubs to sell them some home games - now that Tassie will probably stop being a second home for Nth and Hawks. I think they'll get that's what it'll be about and I think they'll get their request.

Combine that with some double headers and ideally gather round shifted to WA and extra travel problem gone.

The question will be will that become an unfair advantage with the extra home games.

It's supporters having a sook, but with the case of WA travel the articles have become pretty regular - the WA clubs are pushing for something. We know it's not an extra club in WA - even though that would help reduce travel - they want to be massive clubs. My bet it's as simple as they're pushing to allow clubs to sell them some home games - now that Tassie will probably stop being a second home for Nth and Hawks. I think they'll get that's what it'll be about and I think they'll get their request.

Combine that with some double headers and ideally gather round shifted to WA and extra travel problem gone.

The question will be will that become an unfair advantage with the extra home games.
No they’re trying to push for reasonable breaks between games, which makes sense for teams that travel the most i mean five and six day breaks for WA sides is a complete joke.

No they’re trying to push for reasonable breaks between games, which makes sense for teams that travel the most i mean five and six day breaks for WA sides is a complete joke.
Agree. You'd need to lock them into a day of the week to do it which seems fine to me, but I'm sure that too would create some whinging in the current climate - marquee games, I work on Saturdays, blah blah blah. Personally, I wouldn't have a qualm with the proposal of a couple of years ago of North selling home games there. I'm sure it'd create whinging when they do become good though - which I think Freo already are.

Yeah it’s strange the umpires seem to favour an interstate team for once.
You see what you want to see.

I have been following footy for a long, long time and for as long as I remember, it's always the umpires fault to many people.
Most of those people are just sooks and will never see the decisions they get that were just as lucky.

I will give you an example.
The 2018 Grand Final, Maynard could have won a free for being blocked, West Coast kicked the goal and won the game, many people had a big sook about it, some still do.
But what people forget is, the 1st goal we kicked could easily have been a free to West Coast.

So you see there are always frees people conveniently forget about, they are the sooks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back