Review vs Melbourne & the Maggots review/rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a stray thought...we've been all angsty over the past few months about the whole Good Friday saga and whether or not we deserve a blockbuster, etc. Given the animosity between supporters of both clubs tonight I wouldn't be surprised to see THIS become our blockbuster. Yearly event, for a great cause, rivalry brewing between the two clubs, both expected to be on the rise and at the MCG. Ticks all the boxes.

The irony of fan threads.

We are saying the umpires were shit, and they they paid soft frees to Melbourne all game
Melbourne board is saying the umpires were shit and cost them the game with a soft free vs Crameri, and that three softs frees resulted in goals

(Then again, what fan base ever admits the other team gets it worse. If the other team has more frees, whether 1 more or 20, must always mean one is getting screwed)

We are saying how the commentary was terrible and very biased against us
Melbourne board is saying the same thing

We are admitting that Jones will be rubbed out, but it wasn't intentional
Yet one of their posters called him cheap and a head hunter who deliberately did it (if I hear any of them mention Gia and his handballing attempt I will laugh so much, replays show he barely scraped him with his back hand softly, it looked like the Demons player was doing a text book soccer trick, exaggerate a little touch to the face as being hurt and hoping for a free kick, then miraculously getting back on his feet and running instantly)

Oh yes, bias from all forums at its finest

The truth is that all teams have games where they are both extremely favoured by the umpires and extremely harshly treated by the umpires.

Have we had games in the past where the umps have helped us out? Oh yes, very much so.

I have no problems admitting that the Crameri free kick was laughable. In the same vein, if we got the run and free kicks Melbourne got tonight I'd have no problems admitting that we were favoured by them.

And FWIW the vast majority of the opinion of the neutral fans that I've seen tonight - I'd say about 95% - on the game tonight (at the game, on the main board, Twitter etc) is that we were screwed over virtually all night

Anyway, it was a good evening at the footy. Wasn't too cold, the rain held off once the game was underway and I think I sent a few Melbourne supporters home feeling a bit annoyed (Footscray 'scum' putting a few noses out of joint in the MCC members, :p).

Good to see VitalDread, BRG93 and CunnyFunts too, shame we couldn't go out and have a kick of the footy.

On Cross and the trio who weren't giving us much:
No doubt Daniel Cross was up for this game for a few reasons. He had a point to prove (if only for pride) and he did just that for the first half. He gave Macrae a great lesson which will be very good for us in the long term. However all credit to Jack Macrae who was surely challenged by the coach. He did not have a great night but came right back into it, especially during the last term. Ten tackles was a wonderful effort from a 19-20yo who acknowledged he did not have much of a defensive game when he started AFL. Also Cross only got 8 touches in the second half. Kudos to both players. I agree that Macrae is really in need of the break and I think he'll come back much better in two weeks time.

I can't be quite so generous about Lachie Hunter. He had an even dirtier night. No doubt he too was challenged to lift, which he did - a little - and it helped. And he did lay 5 tackles. However I think he needs to have a look at Picken or Griffen or Libba to see what sort of sustained effort is required in an AFL match. When he can do that and still show his tricks he will become a very very good player. His position is definitely in jeopardy after the two games we played today (VFL/AFL).

I was critical of Adam Cooney but he did have a good last quarter or so. Before that I was thinking he is not earning his keep in the midfield. Not sure why this is, whether it's his knee, or something mental. I wasn'tat the gamebut I would be interested to know whether those who have seen him lately think he does enough running off the ball - either running into space when we are on the break, or running hard to defend. If Macca's forte is to get the best out of individuals then he has some potentially big dividends right here. If Cooney can get back to the form he was in last year (forget his Brownlow year of 2008 - it ain't going to happen) we will be a much better side for it.

Just on Honey, at the footy last week I got asked by my mate's brother (Bombers supporter) whether Honeychurch was playing. I said no, and asked him whether he knew him or something. He said, "Yeah...real arrogant prick of a kid." My reply: "Good."

Goes totally against Macca's good person policy, he must be super good.

Anyway, it was a good evening at the footy. Wasn't too cold, the rain held off once the game was underway and I think I sent a few Melbourne supporters home feeling a bit annoyed (Footscray 'scum' putting a few noses out of joint in the MCC members, :p).

Good to see VitalDread, BRG93 and CunnyFunts too, shame we couldn't go out and have a kick of the footy.
Always got the freo and lions game in a couple of weeks.

He's like the clergy, he's got 'Church' in his name so he's exempt from policies and paying taxes.
Always got the freo and lions game in a couple of weeks.
Hope for some good weather. Can take a footy up to the Gold Coast if you make it and we can have a kick on the ground!

I don't think arrogance fits under the "bad person" category - Hunter and Stringer both love a bit of themselves.

He's like the clergy, he's got 'Church' in his name so he's exempt from policies and paying taxes.

Hope for some good weather. Can take a footy up to the Gold Coast if you make it and we can have a kick on the ground!
Agreed!

Just as an aside. When I got off the train at Jollimont the station announcer was giving directions to the MCG for the Melbourne and Footscray game.
As has been pointed out in the past to me, we are the footscray football club trading as the Western Bulldogs. The jumper still says FFC.

It wasn't a pretty win. But we'll bank the 4 points and move on. What disappoints me is the fact that we could easily be 6 wins rather than 3 had we defeated carlton, adelaide and essendon.

Pros
Williams - take a bow! continued to play with a dodgy calf and kicked two goals in the process. thankfully dickson had already been subbed off.
Cooney - his effort was brilliant tonight.
Crameri - didn't miss any easy shots tonight. praise the lord
Libba - loved his defensive pressure tonight. tackle after tackle after tackle.
Boyd - His experience and leadership steered us towards victory in the last qtr.
Jones - a special mention here. although he didn't get his hands on the pill much tonight, his physical presence around the contest was fantastic! will likely sit out a game or two for that bump or terlich.

Cons
Macrae - probably his quietest game of the season. cross was given the tagging job on him.
Murphy - is either carrying some sort of injury or is severely out of form. i hate to see it being the latter. has been a fantastic servant of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this but did anyone listen to the Triple M commentary while at the game? On at least four occasions, they called Macrae 'Stringer', once even calling him 'Jesse Stringer'. They called Stringer 'Macrae' at least twice, and called Hunter 'Macrae'.
It still would've been better than the channel 7 commentary.

Lack of Fletcher 'Sid' Roberts in this thread is shocking, For a 3rd Gamer he played extremely well
Easy to forget Sid's only played 3 games. The apprenticeship at Willy and Footscray has served him well. Good to see the #18 out there again, it hasn't been sighted very often in the last few years.

Six reasons why this was a good win:
  1. We were playing a side that is very much on the improve, had their tails up and the media bandwagon was beginning to roll. Yes they are still an "average" side but nothing like the pushover they mostly were last year. A big away win vs Adelaide last week is nothing to scoff at.
  2. We were playing at the MCG. We don't get to see it very often and we win there even less often. I reckon we would be 3 goals better against Melbourne at Etihad.
  3. Last week BM lamented that we did not have enough players like Dustin Fletcher who just willed his side over the line. Seven days later we had an opportunity to show whether we were made of the right stuff. We were and BM must have had a warm inner glow when he saw more of our players lift to win a close one. That experience alone is worth a lot more than the four points.
  4. We succeeded against a flow of KPP injuries and form problems that had us seriously undermanned: Roughead out, Talia and Young out of form, Williams hobbled, Jones struggling, Roberts playing his first AFL game since 2012. Really Melbourne with its height advantage should have capitalised but didn't. Massive credit to the makeshift defence and the patched up forward line.
  5. Saturday night and no other game on TV. 36,000+ at the ground. For once we were FTA and the only attraction. Not pretty but gutsy and effective. Should win a few admirers.
  6. We played the second half with 20.5 players. It really should have played into Melbourne's hands.

As has been pointed out in the past to me, we are the footscray football club trading as the Western Bulldogs. The jumper still says FFC.
The point is we are still widely recognised as Footscray, not just by us but by many in the wider footballing community. You hear it at games all the time from opposition supporters especially those with miles on the clock. It's something I enjoy hearing.

Six reasons why this was a good win:
  1. We were playing a side that is very much on the improve, had their tails up and the media bandwagon was beginning to roll. Yes they are still an "average" side but nothing like the pushover they mostly were last year. A big away win vs Adelaide last week is nothing to scoff at.
  2. We were playing at the MCG. We don't get to see it very often and we win there even less often. I reckon we would be 3 goals better against Melbourne at Etihad.
  3. Last week BM lamented that we did not have enough players like Dustin Fletcher who just willed his side over the line. Seven days later we had an opportunity to show whether we were made of the right stuff. We were and BM must have had a warm inner glow when he saw more of our players lift to win a close one. That experience alone is worth a lot more than the four points.
  4. We succeeded against a flow of KPP injuries and form problems that had us seriously undermanned: Roughead out, Talia and Young out of form, Williams hobbled, Jones struggling, Roberts playing his first AFL game since 2012. Really Melbourne with its height advantage should have capitalised but didn't. Massive credit to the makeshift defence and the patched up forward line.
  5. Saturday night and no other game on TV. 36,000+ at the ground. For once we were FTA and the only attraction. Not pretty but gutsy and effective. Should win a few admirers.
  6. We played the second half with 20.5 players. It really should have played into Melbourne's hands.
Great post mate, especially point 3. Fantastic opportunity to respond to Macca's criticisms and something I hadn't even thought about.

I was at the game and tbh i am dumbfounded by some of the comments in this thread. We won and played better. Melb were not a shambles and put in a bloody good effort. But they did have more skill errors and poor decision errors than us. They have found a ripper in JKH.

Liam Jones played well and put in a good effort - may not have been appparent on tv but he worked hard all night.

We probably would not have won without Crameri.

It was a very intense game. Like a final without quite the skill level. Our defensive pressure and tackling was great. A lot of under rating both teams IMO.

I was at the game and tbh i am dumbfounded by some of the comments in this thread. We won and played better. Melb were not a shambles and put in a bloody good effort. But they did have more skill errors and poor decision errors than us. They have found a ripper in JKH.

Liam Jones played well and put in a good effort - may not have been appparent on tv but he worked hard all night.

We probably would not have won without Crameri.

It was a very intense game. Like a final without quite the skill level. Our defensive pressure and tackling was great. A lot of under rating both teams IMO.
People give Melbourne nowhere near the credit they deserve. They're an infinitely better side now they've put the rug back under the feet of the younger players with the presence of Cross, Vince and Dawes. Happy to take any win against a side that fights and scraps until the end as they did. Hopefully our two sides will be at each other's throats for years and we can really make this Pink Lady clash a big event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back