Review vs Melbourne & the Maggots review/rant megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
on cooney

i was really pleased with his game watching the game again his defensive work was good - not great but all his career its been moderate at best - I think Cooney is still learning thats why he looks disinterested and bewildered. He is seriously being taken to task over his defensive work this year with the role he is playing however he was solid and reliable when the big plays unfolded playing his part and he worked up and down so i would say the knee is fine. he will never be COOONEEEYYY again but he can still be the one player more that tips it ur way or wins it off his boot. Still auto select if fit imho.

Last edited:
I know Libba was a standout but here are some more areas where there hasn't been enough love since the final siren:
  • Picken. Great job again tonight. Did the business on pin-up boy Nathan Jones who was not terribly influential tonight. Laid 8 tackles.
  • Griffen. Not a massive possession winner (20) but a phenomenal 15 tackles and an inspirational goal. Broke the lines a few times - something that few were able to do.
  • Morris and Roberts and maybe even Stringer. For all the commentator hype about Dawes and Frawley they only had 23 possessions and 3 goals between them. Honours definitely to the Dogs' undersized defenders.
  • Crameri. As Dannnnnnnnnn said he has been very influential in all three of our wins and money well spent. He showed Dawes and Frawley how it is done, even if you aren't getting heaps of the pill. This investment is looking better and better every week.
  • Tutt. He can be frustrating at times but he is really having a go and maybe he's starting to believe in himself. A fairly useful 18 possessions, but apart from the stats I just liked how he involved himself in the play. His pace, tank and persistence paid off with two late goals. I've been a Tutt fence-sitter but he really has to stay for at least a couple more games. He makes us less one-dimensional.
  • Wood. Solid game again tonight. Starting to look like it's all falling into place for him. Has great closing speed. Seems more confident and assured with every game.

Libba 171 sc points WOW!
He was dominant in almost every category, was Libba.
He'll win a Brownlow, one day. Does the accumulation which attracts the umpire attention and his work around the contests and appetite for destruction is just awesome to watch.

Just as an aside. When I got off the train at Jollimont the station announcer was giving directions to the MCG for the Melbourne and Footscray game.
I heard one guy say to another as they left the Melbourne Storm game "hey, we can go over and watch the last game of Melbourne & Footscray"

Was it just me or has our team suddenly got an awful lot of mongrel in it?

Jones wasn't just using his body in that bump. He threw his body around quite a few times. And he wasn't alone - there was an awful lot of bumping and clipping, and dumping and general "unsociable play".

And this is even before we add Smith and Honeychurch into the side.

Could we be seeing the birth of the "dirty dogs"? Served us pretty well in 1997-8.

Well done tonight Dogs. Long time since I saw such a biased/inconsistent umpiring job. The win was all the more meritorious because of it!!
Did just notice the lack of uncertainty coming off the half-back area where Brett Goodes usually distributed the ball so well for your mob last season. Where is he at? And why has Fuller not yet broken into the team after such a good NAB cup?

Was it just me or has our team suddenly got an awful lot of mongrel in it?

Jones wasn't just using his body in that bump. He threw his body around quite a few times. And he wasn't alone - there was an awful lot of bumping and clipping, and dumping and general "unsociable play".

And this is even before we add Smith and Honeychurch into the side.

Could we be seeing the birth of the "dirty dogs"? Served us pretty well in 1997-8.
Maybe they're finally getting Charlie's message: "shop early" ;) I bloody well hope so. Great to see.

Well done tonight Dogs. Long time since I saw such a biased/inconsistent umpiring job. The win was all the more meritorious because of it!!
Did just notice the lack of uncertainty coming off the half-back area where Brett Goodes usually distributed the ball so well for your mob last season. Where is he at? And why has Fuller not yet broken into the team after such a good NAB cup?
Goodes' form has dropped big time. Looks slow, and his turnovers seem to have gotten worse. He was first emergency today so getting closer, but I'd have him further from the team than that if I'm honest.

Fuller apparently has a recurring shoulder injury. We don't know what it is or how bad it is, but his form in the VFL has been uninspiring to say the least.

I'm actually embarrassed for some Melbourne posters on the main board.

After spending the best part of a decade as the worst team in the comp, they FINALLY show something and now they go all high and mighty. Bloody disgusting.

Oh, and apparently we only won because of the umpires. And we have a team full of scraggers who play ugly football (FFS Roos has made a career out of ugly football the smug c**t.).

A 16 point win against Melbourne is nothing to brag about, but I'll take it. Good to see Libba step up. Hopefully this good form will continue. I'll try and read up on other match details later on today.

Happy for the win. Very pleased with Picken and Wood again. And lots of desperation when it was needed too. I agree with Fronk and Dannn that there was a lot of tail chasing, rather than pro-active workrate. But tail chasing + harrassment still needs to actually get done. And we did it - all game. So the boys should be given credit for that.

Three negatives:
- Crameri probably won us the game. I am grateful for what he's done this year. But I was INCREDIBLY unimpressed with 3 passages of play from him. 1) thought the commentators were spot-on calling him selfish and undisciplined when he coathangered a forward during one of our Inside 50s. 2) Thought the commentators were also correct to observe him ducking his head when he was spare man in defence at the end of the game. The way he shirked when he thought he heard footsteps was embarrassing. 3) Earlier in the game he took a ping for goal from outside 50 when there were free men all over the place. Not so much as a look from Crammers. I was not happy. Still - with 4 goals you kind of have to forgive him, I guess.

- I don't expect Hunter to take towering marks. I don't expect him to sprint away from his opposing men. He is not in the team for that. However I do expect him to at least look laterally before kicking the ball to no-one in particular over and over again. Hunter is there for judgement and vision. Tonight he showed neither.

- Hunter is not Robinson Crusoe when it comes to lacking vision. I would say once we kick up the line from the halfback flank, we pretty much NEVER kick anywhere else but up the line next kick. I got tired of seeing players running around with their arms outstretched in the vicinity of the corridor. They were wasting their time. Our players just have the blinkers on every time. And as a result we continuously end up looking for bail-out marks 1 on 2 in the forward pocket. It's simply too easy to defend.

Maybe if we spotted up those running for us a bit more, people would do a bit more offensive running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't remember Fuller playing a good game during the NAB cup but he certainly hasn't hasn't had one in the VFL this season(didn't see today's game though). As for Goodes, I reckon he wouldn't be to far away from selection but we're in rebuilding mode(whatever that means) so Goodes spot needs to be taken by Wood, JJ or Young depending on match ups. Pretty hard to fit him in but I agree that if he was ever given the chance he would be just as good, if not better than a lot of guys on our list. We've also got Pearce and Howard that can run off a half back but they seem to be further away from the best 22 than most and seem certain for delisting at years end.

It was wet weather slog. Very competitive and a physically sapping contest. Melbourne deserve some acknowledgement for the competitive way they played. They were up for the game. We were always in the game and so were Melbourne but we were better in the last few minutes when we had to be and when it counted.
The conditions didn't allow for too many silky skills to be displayed but it is what is and you play the conditions and what's in front of you. I went to the game and enjoyed it. Edge of seat for 120 minutes.
Plenty will comment on the umpiring but it's not just this game. They're not paying holding the ball or incorrect disposal any more and that's contributing to the mauls/rucks. If they actually paid the frees when they're there (consistently) the game(s) would be better.
Only going to single out one player. Libba. I'm glad he plays for us.

We'll summarised dude, think to many people under estimate the opposition and the conditions... Say what you like about some of our skills/polish & decision making but all the other stuff about leadership, heart and willingness to compete is simply crap.... To put it bluntly we wouldn't have won if not for those traits..

Had another look at the Crameri free kick, and I think I'm pretty fair generally despite my optimistic outlook on the Dogs, and that wasn't an absolute howler as it's being made out to be. He was pushed under the ball and at the time he was moved under the flight of the ball Dunn was crashing into him with his elbow.
I would've been happy to see him get away with it, but that's not a howler at all.

Had another look at the Crameri free kick, and I think I'm pretty fair generally despite my optimistic outlook on the Dogs, and that wasn't an absolute howler as it's being made out to be. He was pushed under the ball and at the time he was moved under the flight of the ball Dunn was crashing into him with his elbow.
I would've been happy to see him get away with it, but that's not a howler at all.
probably was never going to mark it anyway, which is why I think some opposition supporters are so dirty on it
definitely had his hands on his back, just didn't push him

probably was never going to mark it anyway, which is why I think some opposition supporters are so dirty on it
definitely had his hands on his back, just didn't push him
Melbourne & Essendon supporters? :p

Some good reading over the last 8 or so pages, well done all. Imma make a few points:

1. Caught up with a Dees mate at half time, he said 'who's #15 for you, he's been one of your best'. I was like seriously???? but had a closer look at him after half time and he was working his arse off and getting into dangerous positions, pulling the Demon's defenders out of position with him. Great work Tutty, surely he gets a run of games now.

2. I swear the entire football public has been duped by the last 5 years. It is not normal to have several teams that get flogged by 10-15 goals every week and win only 2 games a year. Melbourne were uncommonly bad in the past, and so were GWS and up until last year GC. This year the competition has evened up a hell of a lot. Even though Melbourne are still bottom 4, they've got some good recruits, have a solid spine, and are coached well, and if nothing else are competitive. They won't get blown away by many teams this year. Underrated win tonight, especially in the conditions.

3. Crameri has surpassed all expectations. Still never sure what he's going to do, but there's way more good than bad. Shit, we could have the coleman medallist in our team this year. Actually I thought the whole forward line played well, and barring suspension and injury, I hope Cram/Jones/Williams get a good slug of games together at some stage this year.

4. People are complaining about our lack of work rate and manning up off the ball, but I thought the game was a bit similar to Syd/Haw last night, us being the Sydney. Us generally dominant, most players in our half of the ground, but occasionally get sucked into pushing up too high and they burn us on a random 50/50 bounce or turn-over. Happily, the good guys won both games.

5. Ok, the cynic in me thinks that may cost us pick 6 instead of pick 3... is it just cos I'm a dogs supporter? Why can't I just enjoy the win?

5. The Royal was good after the game. There needs to be somewhere similar near Etihad. Or maybe it's better there's not...

Just on the Crameri free kick.

The ball spilled over to a Melbourne player who was about to be tackled by Bulldogs player, that would have resulted in at least a stoppage (possibly a turnover our way). The ball was going to be in our 50. From which some shot at goal was more than likely going to come, given how on top we were around the contest at that stage.

Was it a free? Of course not. But Crameri got himself in position to awarded a free by getting front position on Dunn, something he did all night one on one.

Melbourne supporters want to blame someone? perhaps the person who choose to leave James Frawley in forward line instead of on Crameri.

Full credit to any Melbourne supporters acknowledging:
- The quality of the game.
- The merits of our win.
- The good aspects, such as the turnout on a pretty crappy night between 2 smaller clubs.
- How good it is to see both sides coming along, providing a good contest and giving the supporters a glimpse of the awesome contests our two clubs will provide over the next few years.

Those of you reading that are attempting to belittle our club on the basis of your dust-coated, long forgotten success and your name as Melbourne alone, shame on you. Sorry, but that was multiple generations ago and you're back in the pack scragging and fighting for survival with the rest of us now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back