WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not.

BBBZZZT right, seeing as my ex was a labourer & I mixed with them, they love DLS. So say all you want, if you are a labourer, would you prefer to work when it's cooler, or when it's hot?

Yeah, tell that to some of my friends who get up at 4am for work. Add daylight saving and the effective time is 3am. I'm sure they'll be just dandy about having daylight savings.

mantis said:
Office workers don't know what it's like working out of their air conditioned offices. :rolleyes:

Didn't your old job in Perth revolve around working in an office, mantis?

Yep people who work outside in the weather,but by labelling them bogans obviously you consider their point of view lesser than yours

I don't see why Captain Afterworld is so interested in this subject, I mean when was the last time he actually saw sunlight?

Brisbane 29 Mar 2008 sunrise 5:56 AM sunset 5:49 PM
Brisbane 21 Jun 2008 sunrise 6:38 AM sunset 5:02 PM
Brisbane 21 Dec 2008 sunrise 4:50 AM sunset 6:42 PM

Sydney 29 Mar 2008 sunrise 7:06 AM sunset 6:53 PM
Sydney 21 Jun 2008 sunrise 7:00 AM sunset 4:53 PM
Sydney 21 Dec 2008 sunrise 5:40 AM sunset 8:05 PM

Perth 29 Mar 2008 sunrise 7:26 AM sunset 7:16 PM
Perth 21 Jun 2008 sunrise 7:17 AM sunset 5:20 PM
Perth 21 Dec 2008 sunrise 6:07 AM sunset 8:22 PM

We all ready have 20 minutes of DLS

Sunrise at half past seven is a ****ing joke.

I'd actually be in favour of DLS if we just ran November, December, January. But the late sunrises in Feb/March are a real pain in the arse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd actually be in favour of DLS if we just ran November, December, January. But the late sunrises in Feb/March are a real pain in the arse.
I absolutely agree with you there mate. During the summer holidays it is great, but during school term and work days, it is just frustrating.

they have daylight saving in egypt y'know? and that place is the sahara!

get with the program, smallville!

I was all for it when I moved here, now that I've experienced it in WA, I cant stand it.

It works in places like Sydney as the sun would be rising around 4:30am and the sun disappears behind the mountains. Here we had enough sun without it anyway.

I have at the moment tickets to the Big Day Out. If I arrive at 12-00 as the first act begins, I imagine by 5-00, I will have had enough of the sun and will want some relief by the time The Main Man, Neil Young comes on stage. Likewise, I have tickets for Alicia Keys, Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds all at outdoor venues in summer. Shade is not great at these places and if I am to embrace life as people suggest no to DSL voters need to do, it means I will try to get there early and make a day out of it. If I get there early, I will be out in the sun for far longer than is healthy.

This one of my major arguments against it. Those events are bloody awful these days due to DLS. I used to get there a bit later in the day because it's fantastic when the sun starts to set.

Oh, I didn't realise that! EGYPT has it, so we better have it too!

We'd better get working on some pyramids too, don't want to be left out.

This one of my major arguments against it. Those events are bloody awful these days due to DLS. I used to get there a bit later in the day because it's fantastic when the sun starts to set.

Surely you jest... how can 1 hour make the difference between awesome concert and "bloody awful". You turn up at noon, stand in the sun all day to watch bands... you are knackered and sunburned nomatter what DLS is doing. Either way you are in the sun hottest part of the day through to sunset.

...and Dubai does not.

That is relevant to West Aussies because?

Surely you jest... how can 1 hour make the difference between awesome concert and "bloody awful". You turn up at noon, stand in the sun all day to watch bands... you are knackered and sunburned nomatter what DLS is doing. Either way you are in the sun hottest part of the day through to sunset.

I always knackered after the BDO - I am never sunburnt. Dehydration is an issue though and just being plain uncomfortable in the heat. There is no doubt that the BDO is more enjoyable on a temperate day rather than scorching hot. Same with the cricket too. Try going to a test match and sitting for 7 hours , and even longer with the poor over rates (but that is another issue).

There is the option of turning up late to the BDO, but that is often when there is at least one band that I am keen to catch out of curiosity. Oh but that's right, people with concerns about DLS don't go out. We just sit at home and worry about our curtains while those totally in favour really know how to live life !

...and Dubai does not.

That is relevant to West Aussies because?

One suspects you well know the relevance Moo, but just in case its slipped your mind:

Many of the anti-DLS folk bore on about "but its different here in Perth, its hotter here, others dont understand..."

As I pointed out in another thread, countries such as Spain, Portugal, Italy & Greece with major population centres like Perth (& bigger) happily embrace DLS with the same climates and the same or higher temperatures.

Egypt, which also happily embraces DLS has average temps in its 3 warmest summer months of 34, 35 & 34 - this compares with Perths at 30,31,30.... they cope without problem.

Dubai (for a variety of reasons which may include heat) doesnt have DSL but given that their hottest 6 months are ALL hotter than Perth's hottest single month and given that their 3 "summer" months average 39,40 & 39, I suggest they are hardly a comparison with Perth.

Perth is not hot. Even in summer, our average temps are less than the average of pretty much every month in SE Asia (where many head for their holidays to enjoy the warmth), we are also only a par with other "temperate" climates in southern Europe.

There may be many reasons to not have DLS but the "heat" is a furphy and complete bollocks and has no place in the debate - we arent a hot place.

I always knackered after the BDO - I am never sunburnt. Dehydration is an issue though and just being plain uncomfortable in the heat. There is no doubt that the BDO is more enjoyable on a temperate day rather than scorching hot. Same with the cricket too. Try going to a test match and sitting for 7 hours , and even longer with the poor over rates (but that is another issue).

There is the option of turning up late to the BDO, but that is often when there is at least one band that I am keen to catch out of curiosity. Oh but that's right, people with concerns about DLS don't go out. We just sit at home and worry about our curtains while those totally in favour really know how to live life !

Is there a point in there?

Its a DLS thread. The argument is that events like BDO where people get wasted and hang out in the sun for 7 - 8 hours would be more enjoyable if we didnt have DLS as then maybe you would only be in the sun for 6-7 hours. Of course, as you corrctly point out, impact of sun has more to do with personal choices and the temperature on a particular day. Nothing at all to do with DLS....

Of course the pathologically negative will look for a reason to bin DLS at every turn.
;)

my take is different now to 2 years ago.

reason is that I now walk at 6am, so can sympathise with the 'morning' people. it didn't make any difference when the clocks moved forward, still light at 6am, but in March it will be dark at 6am. So I just reckon we keep it but have it ending first weekend in Feb. Surely that would make everyone happy, and healthier.

Remove this Banner Ad

WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back