WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not.

Is there a point in there?

Its a DLS thread. The argument is that events like BDO where people get wasted and hang out in the sun for 7 - 8 hours would be more enjoyable if we didnt have DLS as then maybe you would only be in the sun for 6-7 hours. Of course, as you corrctly point out, impact of sun has more to do with personal choices and the temperature on a particular day. Nothing at all to do with DLS....

Of course the pathologically negative will look for a reason to bin DLS at every turn.
;)

Yes, there is a point. I am relating to a previous post that related to another previous post that...... if you read the thread chronologically, you will see what I am getting at. Also, if you had read previously, I am not necessarily against it. I am against the personal attacks on anyone that dares raise reasonable opposition to it.

Your final sentence sums it up.

The impact of the sun has a lot to do with the decision. With skin cancer on the increase in WA, it is an issue. Also, I go to the BDO to see bands. I do not get wasted and I try to stay out of the sun. My original post on this pointed out that if I get there at 12-00 to see some earlier bands, I would prefer an earlier sunset so I could enjoy the later bands in the cool of the evening. It has everything to do with DLS.

You seem to think that one hour of extra sunlight is a panacea for Perth losing it's Dullsville tag. I am just not so sure. I enjoy cool evenings at the end of a hot summers day and if other people do, it does not make them pathologically negative.

One suspects you well know the relevance Moo, but just in case its slipped your mind:

Many of the anti-DLS folk bore on about "but its different here in Perth, its hotter here, others dont understand..."

As I pointed out in another thread, countries such as Spain, Portugal, Italy & Greece with major population centres like Perth (& bigger) happily embrace DLS with the same climates and the same or higher temperatures.

Egypt, which also happily embraces DLS has average temps in its 3 warmest summer months of 34, 35 & 34 - this compares with Perths at 30,31,30.... they cope without problem.

Dubai (for a variety of reasons which may include heat) doesnt have DSL but given that their hottest 6 months are ALL hotter than Perth's hottest single month and given that their 3 "summer" months average 39,40 & 39, I suggest they are hardly a comparison with Perth.

Perth is not hot. Even in summer, our average temps are less than the average of pretty much every month in SE Asia (where many head for their holidays to enjoy the warmth), we are also only a par with other "temperate" climates in southern Europe.

There may be many reasons to not have DLS but the "heat" is a furphy and complete bollocks and has no place in the debate - we arent a hot place.

Perth's climate is classified as "Mediterranean" not "temperate".

Yeah, bogan tradies. I mentioned them earlier in the thread.

Yeah good one mate. Let me guess, you are a student that likes it as you can regularly get up at lunchtime? :rolleyes:

I don't see why Captain Afterworld is so interested in this subject, I mean when was the last time he actually saw sunlight?

Haha. Maybe to get to the dry cleaners nice and early to pick up his 'uniform' for a convention?

Perth's climate is classified as "Mediterranean" not "temperate".

You are correct. My mistake.

Of course this doesnt change anything in my post as all the european countries I name are, in the main, also mediterranean - it was just a slip of the typewriter so to speak.

Perth is not hot. Even in summer, our average temps are less than the average of pretty much every month in SE Asia (where many head for their holidays to enjoy the warmth), we are also only a par with other "temperate" climates in southern Europe.

Cmon, im in bangkok right now and it says ur location is thailand so u should know you cant even compare the temp here with perth's. Its stickier in thailand but a lot dryier in perth and speaking to a lot of other aussies over here they say the same thing when its hot in perth its burns a lot more. Id hate the idea of DLS in bangkok. It comes back to the same thing it just goes that extra 2 months to long. Change that and you could have a winner but if not it will get voted out.

I think that many people living in WA don't understand what it means to have Daylight Savings. It is as shithouse as it comes. You guys won't like it one bit.

my take is different now to 2 years ago.

reason is that I now walk at 6am, so can sympathise with the 'morning' people. it didn't make any difference when the clocks moved forward, still light at 6am, but in March it will be dark at 6am. So I just reckon we keep it but have it ending first weekend in Feb. Surely that would make everyone happy, and healthier.

That's it Frodo, life style!!! It's got nothing to do with faded cows or confused curtains, it's life style!!! So just spare a thought for this fly blown old ram when he drags his full sack outta bed at 4.00 am, 6 days a week.

my take is different now to 2 years ago.

reason is that I now walk at 6am, so can sympathise with the 'morning' people. it didn't make any difference when the clocks moved forward, still light at 6am, but in March it will be dark at 6am. So I just reckon we keep it but have it ending first weekend in Feb. Surely that would make everyone happy, and healthier.

That'd be a compromise but it erodes the "business with the east" argument from the pro-DLS crew even further now that we dont change our clocks at the same time anyway.

At the end of the day, there wasn't all this shit fighting without it and the way it was introduced smacked of arrogance. I wasn't living here during the last referendum but the people spoke. For it to be crowbarred in by the government of the day is anti-democratic.

Reminds me of a kid wanting something and keeps asking over and over again until it gets the answer it wants. People keep saying no here, I suspect the margin against will be even greater after all the bullshit that has gone on since it was forced on people.

The impact of the sun has a lot to do with the decision. With skin cancer on the increase in WA, it is an issue. Also, I go to the BDO to see bands. I do not get wasted and I try to stay out of the sun. My original post on this pointed out that if I get there at 12-00 to see some earlier bands, I would prefer an earlier sunset so I could enjoy the later bands in the cool of the evening. It has everything to do with DLS.

You seem to think that one hour of extra sunlight is a panacea for Perth losing it's Dullsville tag. I am just not so sure. I enjoy cool evenings at the end of a hot summers day and if other people do, it does not make them pathologically negative.

Full agree with both these points.

The solution I found to the extra sun problem at the BDO and Good Vibes was getting a job there this year so I spent a fair chunk of the day under cover. Still, I shouldn't have to.

The people who want it, want it because it would be nice, the people who don't want it, dont want it because of the impact it has on their lives.

People want extended shopping hours for the convenience and bugger the suckers who get rostered to work it.

how do you cope in winter?

1) Even in the middle of winter the sunrise doesn't get that late.

2) In winter nobody needs to be at the beach early in the morning to train for / hold State and National Championships in summer sports.

Cmon, im in bangkok right now and it says ur location is thailand so u should know you cant even compare the temp here with perth's. Its stickier in thailand but a lot dryier in perth and speaking to a lot of other aussies over here they say the same thing when its hot in perth its burns a lot more. Id hate the idea of DLS in bangkok. It comes back to the same thing it just goes that extra 2 months to long. Change that and you could have a winner but if not it will get voted out.

Well, I lived in KL & Bangkok and spend much of my time in SE Asia. My point was that Perth isnt a hot place. The AVERAGE temperature in Perth in the HOTTEST month in summer is 31 degrees. That temp is by no means hot. It is true that when its 38 its very hot in Perth, but on average that happens not that often or our average temp in the hottest month would be more than 31.

By the way, November and early December are the best times of year to be in Bangkok. the wet is ending or has ended and the temps are at their lowest with the lowest overall levels of humidity. If you are your Aussie mates live there, you would of course know that. Bangkok in July when its 38, with 75%+ humidity is another experience all together - far more debilitating than anything that ever happens in Perth.

My point remains, while we have hot days in Perth, it is not a hot place as such and arguments that it is uniquely hot and therefore that is a reason to not have DLS are bogus. Plenty of places that have similar or hotter weather with meditteranean climates have DLS without any "heat" problems that are exacerbated by DLS.

There may be many good reasons to not have DLS but heat isnt one of them. Frankly, the whining about what happens on BDO and other events is just whining. If the day ends up average (i.e. around 30) then it makes no difference when the sun sets. If its a 40 degree day the same - no matter when it sets you will fry. The idea that people enjoying an extra hour of sunlight for 3 or 4 months should be got rid of because it might be hot on BDO or some other such day is frankly and plainly silly and smacks of clutching at straws.

PS: Enjoy BKK and be as good as you need to be ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re the thread title, not having DLS is hardly living in the past.

Things that Perth need to join the 21st century would be sinking that damn railway line that slices the city in half (at least we finally have an underground station and a decent rail line down south) or putting in that Melbourne Southbank style development on the foreshore instead of a stupid ferris wheel.

Egypt, which also happily embraces DLS has average temps in its 3 warmest summer months of 34, 35 & 34 - this compares with Perths at 30,31,30.... they cope without problem.

Yeah, but Alexandria is a modern city.Perth,well.

That'd be a compromise but it erodes the "business with the east" argument from the pro-DLS crew even further now that we dont change our clocks at the same time anyway.

At the end of the day, there wasn't all this shit fighting without it and the way it was introduced smacked of arrogance. I wasn't living here during the last referendum but the people spoke. For it to be crowbarred in by the government of the day is anti-democratic.

Reminds me of a kid wanting something and keeps asking over and over again until it gets the answer it wants. People keep saying no here, I suspect the margin against will be even greater after all the bullshit that has gone on since it was forced on people.

Not really. My business did suffer pain in the three weeks before DLS here, but 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after is way better than 6 months of 3 hour differences. So the compromise helps all. Remember that WA people hate change, no matter what, and that the last referendum wasn't about whether you want daylight saving but if you thought it would benefit the state. Still, we voted to keep the English queen (descended from Germany) as our head of state too. So what hope is there for change in an intransigent society?

Re the thread title, not having DLS is hardly living in the past.

Things that Perth need to join the 21st century would be sinking that damn railway line that slices the city in half (at least we finally have an underground station and a decent rail line down south) or putting in that Melbourne Southbank style development on the foreshore instead of a stupid ferris wheel.

You obviously do not mean that because as it has been pointed out by Eagle87 and Frodo ad nauseum - anybody that has a problem with daylight saving is totally opposed to change of any sort. It is in our nature to be negative.

The bad news for all you pro DLS people is that after this current and last trial period it will be all over. The intelligent people of WA will vote against it just as they have in the past.

Well, I lived in KL & Bangkok and spend much of my time in SE Asia. My point was that Perth isnt a hot place. The AVERAGE temperature in Perth in the HOTTEST month in summer is 31 degrees. That temp is by no means hot. It is true that when its 38 its very hot in Perth, but on average that happens not that often or our average temp in the hottest month would be more than 31.

By the way, November and early December are the best times of year to be in Bangkok. the wet is ending or has ended and the temps are at their lowest with the lowest overall levels of humidity. If you are your Aussie mates live there, you would of course know that. Bangkok in July when its 38, with 75%+ humidity is another experience all together - far more debilitating than anything that ever happens in Perth.

My point remains, while we have hot days in Perth, it is not a hot place as such and arguments that it is uniquely hot and therefore that is a reason to not have DLS are bogus. Plenty of places that have similar or hotter weather with meditteranean climates have DLS without any "heat" problems that are exacerbated by DLS.

There may be many good reasons to not have DLS but heat isnt one of them. Frankly, the whining about what happens on BDO and other events is just whining. If the day ends up average (i.e. around 30) then it makes no difference when the sun sets. If its a 40 degree day the same - no matter when it sets you will fry. The idea that people enjoying an extra hour of sunlight for 3 or 4 months should be got rid of because it might be hot on BDO or some other such day is frankly and plainly silly and smacks of clutching at straws.

PS: Enjoy BKK and be as good as you need to be ;)

My point was that perth's weather is not even similar in any way to bangkok, maybe if you said queensland id prob agree, im over here trainin in a muay thai camp and can notice the difference. Me i dont like it becasue of those last two months of early mornin darkness. Im a shift worker , up at say 530am and when not workin im runnin at bout 6am, if it was to end say the first sunday in febuary you would probably get my vote and for everyone that says but what about the middle of winter well i have no control over that, i cant reposition the earth but i do have a say in DLS and can have some control over that and will vote for what suits my lifestyle. Oh yeh and i grew up in hobart and still hated it for the same reason as i do now. Like i say end it first sunday in feb and im in. And you would be surprised how may people would agree. But at the moment no way.

The bad news for all you pro DLS people is that after this current and last trial period it will be all over. The intelligent people of WA will vote against it just as they have in the past.

american-gothic-large4.jpg

We don't like this new fangled daylight saving down here

Last time I checked there was no place called Hotham in WA
Therefore like every other non WA inhabitant your opinion is void

Alright, i'll post it then.

american-gothic-large4.jpg

We hate this darned daylight saving - and keep the shops closed after 6 and on Sundays too fang damn it!

Remove this Banner Ad

WA/Daylight Saving: To Join The 21st Century Or To Not, Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back