Was Matthew Knights a scapegoat?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe it doesn't bother bomber fans that it was the Club knocking his door down to coach. Not the other way around!!

Not sure that was the case. Reckon Hird genuinely believed the club was suffering under Knights and that he could do a better job. Amid the denials, the facade briefly but infamously broke: "There's something in me, deep in my heart, that says at some point I want to coach Essendon."

Hird stalled for time while they made sure Thompson was coming to assist.

hird has inherited a double layered shit sandwich.
Late Sheedy era, the club from the board down was an absolute shambles, sheeds and the club thought they had the midas touch and could turn piss into wine. They couldn't and the club is still paying for it.
Knights inherited and didn't stand a chance no matter how good he was (flawed gameplan anyone?).
he also had the players supremely unfit, which is why we basically needed 6 goal leads at 3 quarter time to have any chance of getting up.

Hird has inherited more than just a Matthew Knights mess, he's got 10 years of it to clean up.
Idiots like luke darcy got sucked in by our start (which is where we will be very soon), but the fact remains we are still off the pace, and Hird is still learning on the job, and getting better at it everyday.

But back to the knight question. He had a fundamentally flawed gameplan, which didn't help. Scapegoat? maybe...but at least hird has brought some semblance of a defensive midset to the club, which Knights didn't even bother with.

Not sure that was the case. Reckon Hird genuinely believed the club was suffering under Knights and that he could do a better job. Amid the denials, the facade briefly but infamously broke: "There's something in me, deep in my heart, that says at some point I want to coach Essendon."

Hird stalled for time while they made sure Thompson was coming to assist.
So why didn't he do it for the market price of an untried coach?

The difference between Hird and most other coaches is that they are all desperate career coaches.
I have no doubt that Hird felt strongly about where the Bombers were at, and wanted to do what he could to fix it, but you'd reckon half his current pay packet would have been enough to entice him.

Given your comments, what would he have done if Thompson was not available? Does this add to my argument?
Not only did he need a million bucks but he also needed a dual premiership coach as his assistant.

Bottom line is Hird never truly and desperately aspired to be a coach. Money has played too big a part, and covering his arse with Thompson has reduced his credibility. (not to mention all the lies that came with it)
I believe this will eventually bite Essendon firmly on the arse.

So why didn't he do it for the market price of an untried coach?

Dunno. He's a businessman, he would've known his worth to the club. Maybe he received extra because it was obviously going to be messy after Knights had dug in and was under contract. Prior, I had no feelings either way about Hird. It certainly didn't help his image.

Given your comments, what would he have done if Thompson was not available? Does this add to my argument?

Doubt very much he would've agreed to do it, hence it figures that Thompson had agreed in principle before Hird made the comment on On The Couch.

You make a fair case.

Second halves after Round 14
2008 479 501 -22
2009 440 513 -73
2010 377 462 -85
2011 503 629 -126
2012 274 432 -148

At face value there seems to be a worsening of the trend of not running games out under Hird.

RTB, please stop annoying the Essendon supporters by refusing their arguments with facts.

They get upset and struggle to make up new falacies to hold onto.

Second halves after Round 14
2008 479 501 -22
2009 440 513 -73
2010 377 462 -85
2011 503 629 -126
2012 274 432 -158

At face value there seems to be a worsening of the trend of not running games out under Hird.

At face value Richmond have actually gone backward under hardwick.
Essendons list was woefully underdone under knights. Goodwin commented on it in one of his first interviews.
They are a much fitter team than they were then. I don't care what the numbers say.

Actually, is Hird the coach or just a figurehead for the fans/sponsors?
I think most (not just those having a laugh) are starting to cotton on to the fact that Thompson is the real coach behind the scenes and Hird is just the poster boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golden child will get more latitude than Knights.

Heavens, if Knights oversaw a performance like today he'd need personal security

What a breathtaking choke

A club champion deserves no less.

Richmond people on here musing on coaching appointments... ludicrous

I cant wait until next weekend when Richmond will finish off Essendon's finals hopes once and for all!! Go Tiges beat em and more excuses will come to the fore!!! Lets do it by one point!!!

You are so easily led. You've gone backwards this year.

And yesterday revealed that your players have no pride in the jumper whatsoever.

Wake up. Or, not. It's your problem

I have no problem with my club at all.. i'd be surprised if many fans of the club do..
blokes that support chronic under-achievers whilst talking garbage.. now that's another story...

I have no problem with my club at all.. i'd be surprised if many fans of the club do..
blokes that support chronic under-achievers whilst talking garbage.. now that's another story...
If you'd be surprised if many Essendon supporters have a problem with their club, best to breathe deeply before you head over to the Bombers' board.
It's not working. Build a bridge

Nice excuse.

I bet you werent saying that after round 10.

Ive always been saying it, the previous administration was woeful, I'm guessing you don't know that much about it so I'll leave it at woeful.

As far as the first half of the season goes, yeah that was really good, so why complain?
Now the players are running on fumes, they've got nothing left.
And to adress rtb, what about a development season with an 8-1 start and a season crippled by injuries suggests we've gone backwards?

And to adress rtb, what about a development season with an 8-1 start and a season crippled by injuries suggests we've gone backwards?

Yes, you were playing terrific football. Richmond was enjoying its best month of footy, yet was dominated by Essendon to half time. But how much store should be placed in a great start after suffering the sharpest fall of any 8-1 team in history?

Yes, Essendon has had injuries, and for that I am cutting them some slack. It appears The Weapon may be largely responsible for both the improvement and the burnout. But the Bombers' list has entered its window of opportunity. In 2012, Essendon had 8 wins against older opposition; that number has fallen to 2 this season. The media has been reluctant to go in hard, but I don't think the Hird regime can afford another year of treading water, ladder-wise, and still retain credibility. The pressure is on to justify the club's failure to back Knights to the hilt.

All fair points, ill give you those except the window of opportunity part.
Our window will open when we develop a half decent midfield, and barring a collossal trade or FA coup. I feel that is at least 2 years away

I think its great that the 2 year apprentiship of James Hird has been served at a cost of about $8 million. Knights would have done the job, better, and his team, would have cost about one third of the golden boys.

I also thinks its great for the afl, that he is clearly now ready to do it alone without Bomber.

Given that the master apprentice thing has clearly been a massive failure, and the most expensive one in the afl, the question has to be asked, what are the bombers going to do about it, Is the whole board going to resign Port Power style.

The good news is the "weapon" seems like he is safe as houses, thank christ.

Its becoming clearer and clearer by the day that Hird is a big big bust as a senior coach, much like another great champion player, Royce hart.

What are the odds of the great Kevin Sheedy being lured back to Windy Hill?Avalon?Tullamarine ? as soon as next years over

Thanks Essendon, keep the laughs coming.

At least Hardwick will be given every opportunity to improve the list and performance of the team over time and see out his contract,something that Knights was never afforded

The problem was never the coach ( or the fitness), nor is it now. Knights was slightly naive in his media dealings and his style of play but is a smart football man. Hird is a very impressive person and is backed by Thompson, who has a touch of genius wh en it comes to developing players.

The problems is obvious, the problem is their midfield! The midfield is the most important part of the ground and they have one of the worst in the league. To be honest I am surprised Thompson did not address this with more urgency given the success he had with Geelon in that part of the ground, unfortunately for them Daniher leaves their hands tied this year so they won't be able to address it until 2013 now. Stanton's early season form and Watson's undoubted brilliance covered it for a while but they are at least 2 classy midfielders short of winning a final or two let alone winning the Premiership they seem to think is pre-ordained for King James.

With Essendon's membership having shrunk by almost 10% this year vs the blind hope of 2011, it will be interesting to see what percentage of the 2012 membership sticks fat next year

Maybe the thousands of 2011 members that jumped off saw this year coming?

Even so, very poor effort

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Matthew Knights a scapegoat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back