Watts names St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

On the contrary I think this is good news for us Stiffy.

1) It means that we will get fairly compensated, because I doubt that the Saints will not give up what we want, as his father is CEO and therefore there is an emotional invovement to the trade. His father is hardly going to say, "bugger it, I'm not paying what you want, my son can F off somewhere else." He'd be ********ting on the Crows and his own son's doorstep.

2). Just because he has named the Saints, doesn't mean other clubs won't bid for him. eg. D Motlop, by all reports has stated that he wants away from the Kangas (and Victoria) to be closer to family in Darwin, yet Melbourne are reportedly still making a play for him.

The worst case would have been if he had his heart set on joining Carlton, as they would offer us bugger all for his services.

I think that this is the best scenario that could have resulted. The highest ranked team as his preferred destination means that there will be competition for his services as all teams below the Saints will know that they can offer us better draft picks.

Stiffy_18 said:
Forgive me but I am not excited by the prospects of getting pick 17 as the compensation :(

That is p*ss-poor if we only get that.

I did warn you all that I thought this whole thing stunk of having been arranged by Fergie's old man.

I've changed my mind on this one. I'd support the Crows saying to Fergus that you're off to Carlton son, rather than give in to his wishes and get screwed in the process.

Hopefully, some decency will be shown and the Saints will organize a 3 way go to see that we get fair value.

Can only repeat - p*ss-poor by Fergus in the way he has handled it all to date. :(

Gee thats a surprise. :rolleyes:

I reckon they will try for pick 17 but the Crows will want more. I reckon Sam Fisher + 2nd round pick maybe. Maybe Fiora + pick?

Macca19 said:

I reckon they will try for pick 17 but the Crows will want more. I reckon Sam Fisher + 2nd round pick maybe. Maybe Fiora + pick?

Sam Fisher and a 2nd rounder might do it.

The only problem with taking Fiora is that you'd be expected to play him!! :(

Watts has said he either gets traded to St. Kilda or he walks. Why doesn't this announcement surprise me?

The best we will get our of St. Kilda is pick 17 and to be honest thats just not enough. Sam Fisher and pick 17 don't excite me either :(

There is nothing on their list that is gettable that excitese me. I would love one of their onballers or Kozi but there is as much chance of us getting it as there is of me kicking 100 goals for the Crows next year (Although I am available :D)

macca23 said:
That is p*ss-poor if we only get that.

I did warn you all that I thought this whole thing stunk of having been arranged by Fergie's old man.

That's the one reason I reckon this could work out well for us, Macca.

If it has been arranged by Jim, which seems pretty likely now, what are the chances of him being stubborn against Adelaide's demands and saying that Fergus can go elsewhere? Pretty low I would have thought.

Watt's old man has organised the reunion, now he's got to complete it. And he ain't going to do that unless he and the Saints satisfy our demands.

Please Kosi. :)

Dont rule out a 3 way trade with the kangas and the saints. The kangas will take youngsters or 2 or 3 picks. then we might get motlop

Macca19 said:

In all honesty, I would be severely ********ed off if we don't get a first round draft pick out of this (the one better than St. Kilda's).

Sam Fisher is OK but we have enough backman as it is and second rounder in this draft is worth sweet bugger all.

Average player + 2nd round pick = NO

Macca19 said:

WTF!! we would never give up Sam Fisher he's too good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stiffy_18 said:
The best we will get our of St. Kilda is pick 17 and to be honest thats just not enough. Sam Fisher and pick 17 don't excite me either :(

Sam Fisher wouldn't be a bad get especially if pick 17 came with it.

Bassett and Hart aren't going to be around forever, and seeing as Bock and Rutten look pretty settled in the 2 key defensive posts, a third floating tall like Fisher would be a pretty handy acquisition for the future.

He Couldnt get a game in Adelaides forward line,hows he gonna go up against 1.Hamil 2.Kossie 3.reiwoldt 4.gherig. Wake up Furgus your off to West Coast if Adelaide has its way.

Pretty pathetic by Watts' father if that's the case.

If St Kilda wanted Fergus, they should have selected him instead of taking Raphael Clarke.

Leaves us in a great bargaining position now doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Even die hard Tiger fan Kane Johnson never publicly stated his club of preference.

Macca19 said:

fiora...dont be silly!!

i would be realistically settling for fisher + 1st round (as 17 in this draft is supposedly realistically a 2nd round)...though fisher re-signed june this year.

http://afc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=211231

if they dont offer higher than pick 17, then its going to have to be a three way trade between adelaide st k and another team. any suggestions who st kilda can trade to other clubs that have between pick say... 7 and 12 (fremantle, melbourne, bulldogs, brisbane, richmond and essendon)

snakebite01 said:
Sam Fisher wouldn't be a bad get especially if pick 17 came with it.

Bassett and Hart aren't going to be around forever, and seeing as Bock and Rutten look pretty settled in the 2 key defensive posts, a third floating tall like Fisher would be a pretty handy acquisition for the future.
Dude, Sam Fisher is 24 next year and by the time Bassett gives it up Fisher will be at the age Bassett is now. I think Sam Fisher is a decent player (I should know I watched a lot of his games with West Adelaid before he got drafted) BUT he is not getting a game in our backline ahead of the 3 you mentioned and Bassett still has at least 3 good years ahead of him.

Sam Fisher doesn't have the scope to play as a key forward in the AFL and we are set with backman. Don't forget there is Chad Gibson on the way as well.

DaveW said:
Pretty pathetic by Watts' father if that's the case.

If St Kilda wanted Fergus, they should have selected him instead of taking Raphael Clarke.

Leaves us in a great bargaining position now doesn't it. :rolleyes:

Even die hard Tiger fan Kane Johnson never publicly stated his club of preference.
Are we really that surprised by all this??????

This has been as obvious as the nose on the face. We either get what we want or let the little ******** end up at carlton.

Stiffy_18 said:
Are we really that surprised by all this??????

This has been as obvious as the nose on the face. We either get what we want or let the little ******** end up at carlton.
Well the good news is that Fergus and St Kilda (presumably) want each other a lot more than Collingwood and Nick Stevens did. They are much more likely to deal properly. Expect a 3 way trade, I'd say - and I'd be surprised if St Kilda haven't already got something in mind, knowing they've got naff all draft picks.

I know this crazy but - Koschitzke?

Stiffy_18 said:
In all honesty, I would be severely ********ed off if we don't get a first round draft pick out of this (the one better than St. Kilda's).

Sam Fisher is OK but we have enough backman as it is and second rounder in this draft is worth sweet bugger all.

Average player + 2nd round pick = NO

Dont forget Fisher held down CHF at West Adelaide in the year they made the Grand Final. Hes not just a defender. Id say Sam Fisher + 2nd round pick wouldnt be too crap a deal. Maybe if the Saints were to trade up their 2nd round pick to a 23-25 range instead of 35 or whatever they have.

Do you think the Crows may take the Port/Stevens approach if they offer peanuts?

Who is Fungus' manager? Not Max Stevens is it?

Stiffy_18 said:
Dude, Sam Fisher is 24 next year and by the time Bassett gives it up Fisher will be at the age Bassett is now. I think Sam Fisher is a decent player (I should know I watched a lot of his games with West Adelaid before he got drafted) BUT he is not getting a game in our backline ahead of the 3 you mentioned and Bassett still has at least 3 good years ahead of him.

Sam Fisher doesn't have the scope to play as a key forward in the AFL and we are set with backman. Don't forget there is Chad Gibson on the way as well.

should we just settle for a midfielder and/or a first round pick. i know it sucks that we have to spend another 2 years developing a key forward, but i think perrie/hentschel/welsh/mcgregor and we could have meesen/maric as a resting ruckman or another up there if needed, to cover that time that it would take that KPP to develop. hopefully, like you said, we can free up rutten by placing gibson at fb, and rutten can head to full forward. rutten (with 3 goals with his first 3 kicks) is a pretty decent mark and kick, and has proven he is capable in the forward lines.

i think we should just settle for the midfielder and or first round pick. if we end up with 2 first round picks, i hope to see cleve hughes at the crows. travis varcoe as well.

In a p|ss weak draft, a second round pick is worth nothing more than speculation.

We shouldnt entertain the fact of receiving a 'package' for Watts. ONE quality player or ONE quality draft pick in return. NOTHING ELSE !

Stiffy_18 said:
Watts has said he either gets traded to St. Kilda or he walks. Why doesn't this announcement surprise me?

What's your source Stiffy ? I cant find the announcement anywhere.

Henry White said:
i think we should just settle for the midfielder and or first round pick. if we end up with 2 first round picks, i hope to see cleve hughes at the crows. travis varcoe as well.

I see what you're saying mate, but even if we have pick 16 and 17, we still dont have access to the best quality players in this years draft ! Hurn, Varcoe, Hughes etc will all be gone by our first pick !

Like I said - quality player or quality pick in return for Watts. Nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watts names St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back