carlton09

Club Legend
Jan 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Northern Blues
Clearly out bodied and out muscled in defence. The backline has been our achilles heal all year and rely heavily on our midfield getting on top. If we are going to be genuine flag contenders next year we need to recruit a defender in trade week. We should persist with Waite and Henderson in the forward line because it's working.

Agree. Jamo is our only defender im confident with one out. We have plenty of run and carry, but not enough one on one strength. Personally i don't see what others see in Bower, he looks awkward and unco on a run, and gets beaten way to easily one out. Another strong KPD is a must.

Agree. Jamo is our only defender im confident with one out. We have plenty of run and carry, but not enough one on one strength. Personally i don't see what others see in Bower, he looks awkward and unco on a run, and gets beaten way to easily one out. Another strong KPD is a must.

Don't like the chances of getting a good KPD in this trade period so we will have to work with what we have and last year most of us thought that our backline had improved.

Its gone backwards this year and that might have a bit to do with losing Stevens but has more to do with the perceived loss of form by Thornton.

This guy is fast becoming the most criticised player on the list and I'm *******if I know why. He has been dropped twice and both times he was going better than Bower at his best but Bower is a Bf pet and Thornton is a "spud".

This is just bullshit, he is the most experienced defender in the club and is 26 years old. FFS just play our best team and put him in.

Definately 1 or maybe 2 KPD's short. Jamison has not improved, Bower is a good 3rd defender not a KPD. Thornton is not there any more dropping in the hole. Austin has had an interrupted season (we all had big hopes he would come on this year,) Waite is developing a good partnership up forward with Hendo and would be a shame to seperate them.
I also think we are short a couple of medium goal scoring forwards.

emu is a running off sort of player. 1 on 1 isnt his strength. he should be on the 3rd best defender atleast with jamo and hopefully a recruit taking the 2 best. i really think we should look at matthew warnock of Melbourne

emu is a running off sort of player. 1 on 1 isnt his strength. he should be on the 3rd best defender atleast with jamo and hopefully a recruit taking the 2 best. i really think we should look at matthew warnock of Melbourne

He's a "running off" sort of player whose been punching above his weight all his career and anyone who thinks that Davies is a better player than (at present) him sees the game though different eyes than mine.

missing out on mcguire really hurt imo. even though he hasn't played alot of footy this year, when fit, he could have taken a mooney which could have freed bower to go onto a menzel for example

yeah we need a tall defender. Been saying it for a while. Bower's got to put on more weight and get fit, Jamison needs to get stronger and we need to find a player. Austin I think is too slow and White too small and Thornton is terrible.

Jamo was back in form tonight. Was absolutely brilliant. Pauly has to muscle up and become the third tall to release Gibbs into the midfield. We have a gaping hole at CHB that needs to be filled.

Bower is a good third tall defender, need Austin to come on next year. Thornton looks disinterested and would be a step backwards to play him again this year. Hope he can turn it around but not sure if his best is behind him as a result of carrying the defence for too long.
Not sure if the mad Irishman could pinch hit at CHB on the bigger bodies but it may be worth a try.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bower is a good third tall defender, need Austin to come on next year. Thornton looks disinterested and would be a step backwards to play him again this year. Hope he can turn it around but not sure if his best is behind him as a result of carrying the defence for too long.
Not sure if the mad Irishman could pinch hit at CHB on the bigger bodies but it may be worth a try.

This is a good suggestion and probably the only way i can see any future for Irish in our structure.

Bower is a good 3rd defender with rebound but is an absolute liability as a KPD against anybody with size. He was totally embarrassed in the first half in every single one-on-one with all Geelong's KPFs. :eek:

We so badly need Aussie to have a BIG summer.

How about trying Kreuzer at chb next year
we have rucks and tall forwards covered

Not against this at all. Probably lacks a yard in pace off the mark and agility to play CHB, but it's far easier to be effective behind the ball than it is playing in front of our midfield delivery. Could fill the most gaping hole in our side.

looking back, if the bombers didn't take hurley, and knowing what we know now, would anyway still have taken Yarran?

All hypothetical...but Hurley in our backline could be the missing piece we need in defence.

Betts and Garlett will still be our small forwards.

Bower's form has been hit hard by his lack of fitness, but still could use some bulk. Would be much better playing on the archetypal third tall or their best medium forward. Bower on Podsiadly was always a bad match-up in my mind, doesn't have the marking or body strength. Jamison should of had him all night, with Bower playing off Mooney and making him try to be accountable.

I agree we need a strong CHB and my nomination is Matthew Warnock. For more infor check out the "who is trade bait" thread where I have posted my argument

Kreuzer or Hampson at CHB would be a #^%($#& disaster.

I'd love them to try it for a month, if only to show people that just because a ruckman is mobile doesn't mean they can suddenly fill any spot on the field.

Kreuzer (or Hampson for that matter) as wingman, ruck rover, CHB... these are all terrible, terrible ideas I have seen earnestly suggested here.

A difference-maker KPD would be just great for our team. Trouble is, there just aren't that many of them in the league, and those that are around don't come cheap. Gee, out-of-contract Lake a year ago would have been worth throwing insane money at.

The issue is all these defenders we are talking about are gimps. not one over 193cm and not one over 94kgs. these guys are only the size of some midfielders.

These boys need to put some serious weight on over the off season.

Also in an already undersized backline i dont see why w0e play gibbs, russel joseph and armfield & walker all in defence.

Walker is the one for me a bloke of his size is just not strong enough or hard enough @ the contest. Sick of seeing him pushed off the line of the ball or not being able to hold his ground to mark. little things like this annoy me.

Remove this Banner Ad

We are 1 KPD away from being a Top 4 side

Remove this Banner Ad

Back