List Mgmt. We Got Him! Beams Trade Discussion (Not the Hype Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not always possible to get a like for like back in a trade.It is probably going to put the Pies' demographic off a bit - something we know all too well from last year when we had to get five 18 year olds for the loss of five 20-21 year olds.

It's not always possible to get a like for like back in a trade.It is probably going to put the Pies' demographic off a bit - something we know all too well from last year when we had to get five 18 year olds for the loss of five 20-21 year olds.

Pies fans should find quite a bit of solace in that 3 of them were nominated for the Rising Star, and one of them won it.

What? You think harwood is the only aggressive player on our list?

I think we means we 'lack' aggressive players on our list overall.

At the top of my head I can't really name too many. I was watching our round one game against Hawthorn today and Rockliff was an absolute serial pest towards Mitchell. Yeah, he was aggressive with the niggle, but he wasn't really physically imposing on the contest in the way that a player like Hodge is for example. Don't get me wrong, Rockliff works both ways, shows tremendous leadership on and off field, is within the top couple of players within the competition and tackles likes a mad man; he doesn't have to impose himself as that aggressive, physical player to be the best player in the land or anything, but I do get the feeling our side could use an enforcer or two, rather than the serial pests we have i.e. Golby, Rockliff, Gardiner to an extent etc. I'm not saying our team is soft or shys away from the hard stuff, just need the type of aggro Harwood appears to provide. Maybe that's why we've shown interest in Robinson.

Sorry to intrude on the Collingwood Board, but I think that the best Collingwood can hope for is pick four and perhaps pick upgrade or third round pick if Brisbane and another club can come up with one of those whacky trades that tie in Collingwood somehow. Pick four and Merrett is fine by me, but we have worked too hard on our list to chuck a really promising youngster into the mix.

I think it'll be pick 4 and a player(Golby, Harwood, Crisp, Bewick, Lester) I'm hoping for pick 4 plus Golby. I feel he is probably easier replaced than the others. It's not exactly like he is a dud. Played well in 2013 but had a bit of a bad year this year which I think comes down to adjusting to the game plan. I think he'd be best 22 at Collingwood down back.

When does the trade period end? Already feels like it's dragging on.
would you say bewick and harwood would appear to have more currency to another team than crisp golby lester, just thinking logically with games played and form shown this year. regardless I don't think either of the 5 would be adquate compensation to collingwood but its going to come down to a case of egos whee collingwood will make us trade a player just so they can say, well we got them to budge rather than we budged ourselves

Just correct you on one thing. Brown is 25. He is injury prone but still youngish.
Adams is small 179-180cm. Freeman hasn't played a game, Broomhead is outside and Scharenberg is more a third defender/forward. Our inside mids are Josh Thomas 176cm and Adams and Beams would be our best clearance player. Both JT and Adams are small. We got flogged in the clearances last year. Certainly we could use a back up defender (probably mature rookie) but we could use a good inside mid much more with the loss of beams.

Wow. I stand corrected. Just seemed like Brown has been there for aaaaages!

I'm sure our clubs can come to a reasonable compromise. Even if Paine-Karnezis was a trade in excess junk-for-junk. Hell, I'm a Lions supporter marrying a Collingwood supporter! (Let's just say her sister, brother-in-law and his entire diehard Pies family are thrilled! ;)) I love "accidentally" putting on my 3-peat DVDs just so it's on when my fiance comes home....

What? You think harwood is the only aggressive player on our list?
No, but I think we have few players that provide that aggressive style of play. PhilCara knocked it on the head- especially in the backline I think we need more oomph. We are not soft by any means, but I really want to hang onto players that take no prisoners with their style of play. That doesn't just mean enforcers, but what I term 'aggressive style' includes players like Hanley. I really miss Elliott Yeo for this reason- hope that illustrates my point.

Sidenote, I hope we don't fall for Mitch Robinson. Just cos he's a ginger doesn't mean he belongs up here!! :rolleyes:

Would you guys agree with pick 4 + Merrett? I would do it- I don't believe it's overs for Dayne, regardless of the fact he nominated us as 'preferred club'.

I'd have to think about it for bit ... Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Mike too. He is feted too much by those who value longevity in the football industry over other qualities, but he has insights borne out of his years of experience which most don't have. He has a level of literacy which Robbo can only aspire to. Robbo is the modern day version of Scotty Palmer.

To be fair, Mike Sheahan is the worst.

I doubt that most Collingwood supporters would care for any journo who doesn't adhere to the time-honoured tradition of blowing smoke up Eddie's arse.

I think the more interesting opinions in footy are held by those who've never played the game at the top level, rather than those who've been gifted jobs in the footy media because that have a face that doesn't look like it's been smashed with a meat-cleaver or has a bit of personality. Unfortunately these guys rarely have much insightful to say.

It appears Mike Sheahan doesn't agree with the oft-repeated statement that Beams would be our best player.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mike-sheahan-end-of-season-top-50-2014.1078886/

Third in fact. ;)

To be fair, it's a strange list.

Broadbent ahead of Riewoldt, Hawkins, Beams and Cotchin, I see.

I remember once Patfull made his list in the 30s. Might've been end of 2012. Patfull doesn't seem to have gotten any worse since then, but never made it again.

I think he just uses the top 50 to make a point.

would you say bewick and harwood would appear to have more currency to another team than crisp golby lester, just thinking logically with games played and form shown this year. regardless I don't think either of the 5 would be adquate compensation to collingwood but its going to come down to a case of egos whee collingwood will make us trade a player just so they can say, well we got them to budge rather than we budged ourselves

I feel Lester probably has more currency out of them all. But I feel Crisp will be the best of the lot. Really would like to keep him.

I'm think a trade will be done. Not sure how though.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. We Got Him! Beams Trade Discussion (Not the Hype Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back