We made the finals… Changes VS Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question here.

Has West ever shown a level of midfield dominance at Footscray that would suggest that he could slot straight into the the most physically demanding midfield role on the ground. Even if its not on a like for like or on a rotational basis?

Id be interested in seeing if anybody could provide a breakdown of where on the ground he was playing before be was omitted from the side a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty evident that his form had been in decline during his last couple of games. I'd like to know if he spent any time on the ball during this time or if he was just wasting away at starvation corner.
I think so. Watched a bit of VFL the last few years and not unusual for him the get the 30 touches and a goal or 2 playing mid.

Obviously VFL level but I think he's got some potential. I do like his mongrel.

I agree but that midfield group and coaches need to ensure they remember how to defend as well as attack. On paper the weaknesses from the GF and other games are still there. They are good enough that do it so it’s coaching and mindset.

Maybe without the assumption that Libba is there for the 50/50 ball our midfield will be a bit more cautious

I think so. Watched a bit of VFL the last few years and not unusual for him the get the 30 touches and a goal or 2 playing mid.

I don't doubt that he can play and in time will mostly do it through the middle of the ground.

What Im interested in finding out is if during his last few games, he spent any time rotating through the middle of the ground and if he did, how effective he was.

100% agree with Bevo there but Darcy could also remain in defence to play on Lobb. I'd be dropping Bruce personally though.
With the Naughton presser excluding Bruce from the F50, I think the cat is out of the bag.
Keath in, Darcy forward

For big chunks of the year he was the third best mid there - behind McComb and Sulivan

For big chunks of the year he was the third best mid there - behind McComb and Sulivan
Only 3rd best as he spent large chunks of the game forward as he has genuine game winning ability forward at VFL level. I’d say he’s easily as effective in the guts if not more than the other two this year. Last year was largely Lippa & West battling it out for best on in the middle

The boys will get a huge lift seeing Bruce standing out there with them. No Bruce and things get a lot harder for JUH and Darcy. And to an extent, Naughts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The boys will get a huge lift seeing Bruce standing out there with them. No Bruce and things get a lot harder for JUH and Darcy. And to an extent, Naughts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Reckons the boys might get a bigger lift seeing a bloke come in who can get off the ground and get a kick (not McComb).

McLean would be a nice story but i don’t think he’s been that good for Footscray. Looks heavier much like Bruce (obviously with the knees).

Honestly I don’t think bringing a mid in is the way. Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Treloar, Baz can and should lift. We know how much talent is in that group.

JJ is an easy enough in if fit. Would be happy with Toby as sub.

Toby has far more runs on the board than West or Garcia but I’d probably back both of them in over him also. And don’t discount Anthony Scott or Hannan returning either. In fact knowing Bev he’s surely itching to get both in.

But - would be a great boost to the team if Tobes comes in, imagine if he boots a quick goal. Would like to see it from an emotional pov, but it would be a bit of a risk.

Tobys body shape has changed - but it may well be the result of him being able to focus on strength for 2 years whilst his knees were recovering twice. He looks a lot stronger - not overweight.

I have watched all of the VFL games and he has looked good. It’s hard to know if he has lost a yard of pace, but he is a very smart player and I would love him back in the 22 again. Is a final the time to reintroduce? Who knows……

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could make a similar argument that our 2021 VFL B&F winner and only player in the the Team of the Year that season could also step into that role, but somehow I don't think anyone will be pushing for poor old Robbie.
Don’t agree that a league wide award vs a single team best and fairest is comparable. Not to mention that Wests contributions at AFL level are in total different category to McComb, despite not being given the same number of chances even when his VFL form has been stellar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't doubt that he can play and in time will mostly do it through the middle of the ground.

What Im interested in finding out is if during his last few games, he spent any time rotating through the middle of the ground and if he did, how effective he was.

His hightest (and only) CBA was 17% round 20 against Sydney. It was a very average game for Rhylee except for the 8 tackles, his second highest for the year.

If he pushed up the ground as a half forward in his last few games it wasn't very effective as his disposal numbers fell significantly after round 15.

surprised by the criticism of West. He would be one of the most determined players out there. The biggest issue I see with Riley is that he’s had the team first mantra drummed into him to the extent where he’ll pass The ball instead of taking the shot and sometimes he’s second-guessing himself. I would give West midfield minutes but only 5 minutes per quarter.
I think Bevo is not too stupid to play either Mccomb or an out of form Bruce in such an important game.

Could be out of form for midfield work after so many senior games up forward.

Buut, maybe he could spend the earlier part of quarters forward, and swap with someone like Bont or dunks late in the quarter?

Last edited:
His hightest (and only) CBA was 17% round 20 against Sydney. It was a very average game for Rhylee except for the 8 tackles, his second highest for the year.

If he pushed up the ground as a half forward in his last few games it wasn't very effective as his disposal numbers fell significantly after round 15.

Thats the thing Im trying to work out. I have some recollection of him playing more minutes in the midfield in his last few games. Presumably as a means of getting him up around the ball and getting him out of the form slump that he had found himself in forward of the ball. If he did, it wasn't effective as he soon found himself out of the side. This is the nub of my initial question and the data to prove it one way of the other is a bit elusive.

Could be out of form for midfield work after so many senior games up forward.

Buut, maybe he could spend the earlier part of quarters forward, and swap with someone like Bont or dunks late in the quarter?
It could be, but it doesn't help his case for a call up if he couldn't transition what is the bread and butter of his game when given the opportunity for more time on the ball. Even if that was for relatively brief periods.

Of course West could and maybe will come into the side as part of a shuffle of players to cover for Libba and if that was to play predominantly as a forward, Id be perfectly ok with that. Im just not sure that he has the midfield runs on the board to play mostly through the middle as a direct replacement for Libba at this stage.

For my 2 cents, I'd rather we add the known of McLean to said rotations this week.

No Libba no Bulldogs
He's probably leading our B&F count so it's a massive massive loss.
Dunkley straight into the middle but Libba's left foot is a mile ahead of Dunkley's ability by foot

The biggest issue I see with Riley is that he’s had the team first mantra drummed into him to the extent where he’ll pass The ball instead of taking the shot and sometimes he’s second-guessing himself.

Yeah I've noticed this too. Team first is good, and he did take a shot or two when he should of passed in his early games. But it's a fine line. You also need someone with the balls to back themselves too

The weather is heading to be a non factor with regards to team selection

The predicted 6mm to 15mm rain is now down to 2mm to 4mm mainly in the morning.

Saturday 3 September​

Summary
showers.png
Min 11Max 18Showers.Possible rainfall: 2 to 4 mmChance of any rain: 80%
rain_80.gif

Perth area​

Cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. The chance of a thunderstorm about the northern suburbs in the morning and afternoon. Winds easterly 20 to 30 km/h increasing to 25 to 40 km/h during the morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

We made the finals… Changes VS Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back