We need a solution - Lifting the arm / Dropping height to get a high free - how do we stop it?

How do we fix the head high free kick issue?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don;t think you need to go as far as to say it should be a FREE KICK for raising the arm, but it should definitely not be a free against the tackler. Making it a free for raising the arm would punish those generally trying to shrug a tackle. That's all it has to be, play on if you lift the arm and draw the contact. Maybe it could be considered prior opportunity, but the prior rule doesn't even really exist any more so it's basically a moot point though.

Yeah it's about the same as Jonas knocking gaff out. Stupid posts are stupid
Are you that confused? I never said what Thomas did was equal to Jonas. I said that the most recent and most extreme examples always get used.

Thomas's move to go back and look for the tackle - induce the tackle - grab the tacklers arm and basically hit himself high with it while he drops - is as bad as it gets when it comes to this topic.

I have no issue

The plater with the ball doesn't owe anything to the tackler

Also how many of these high frees are paid ? It's not many per game

Teams are not winning because of this one issue ...we have to protect the head. It's the underpinning basis of our game. My suggestion if I was coaching would be to tackle guys that do it lower on the arms ...towards the hands

Also do what swans do well which is pin one arm and use your body weight to bring the guy down

Lastly and I'll repeat it again ...the guy with the ball can do dam well do what he pleases .....it's up to the taller to tackle legally not for the ball carrier to NOT DO SOMETHING THST MAKES IT DIFFICULT FOR HIM.

my sense is we are massively overreacting

I don;t think you need to go as far as to say it should be a FREE KICK for raising the arm, but it should definitely not be a free against the tackler. Making it a free for raising the arm would punish those generally trying to shrug a tackle. That's all it has to be, play on if you lift the arm and draw the contact. Maybe it could be considered prior opportunity, but the prior rule doesn't even really exist any more so it's basically a moot point though.

Why does the ball carrier "owe the tackler"

If we start penalising guys with evasive skills we lose that to the game and players will then not take the game on ....

It will then look like netball being played by robots

Leave the game alone FFS

I have no issue

The plater with the ball doesn't owe anything to the tackler

Also how many of these high frees are paid ? It's not many per game

Teams are not winning because of this one issue ...we have to protect the head. It's the underpinning basis of our game. My suggestion if I was coaching would be to tackle guys that do it lower on the arms ...towards the hands

Also do what swans do well which is pin one arm and use your body weight to bring the guy down

Lastly and I'll repeat it again ...the guy with the ball can do dam well do what he pleases .....it's up to the taller to tackle legally not for the ball carrier to NOT DO SOMETHING THST MAKES IT DIFFICULT FOR HIM.

my sense is we are massively overreacting
If the head is sacrosanct as you say, then players intentionally drawing head high contact to themselves should be stopped

Why does the ball carrier "owe the tackler"

If we start penalising guys with evasive skills we lose that to the game and players will then not take the game on ....

It will then look like netball being played by robots

Leave the game alone FFS
It's nto evasive skills mate. Go and watch Mathieson. Thomas and McLean play, it's acting and staging, if that goes from the game, i'm bloody well ecstatic.

If the head is sacrosanct as you say, then players intentionally drawing head high contact to themselves should be stopped

Most times they are trying to draw a free kick

Yup.....just like the the tackler is trying to draw a free kick also

The guy with the ball has every right to try and draw a free kick ...that's the art of footy

Maybe tackling a guy you know is good at drawing high contact isn't the best tactic ...WE NED TO LET THE GAME AND COACHES FIGURE IT OUT

we don't need reactionary rules to counter everything we don't like the look off

Why does the ball carrier owe the tackler ....why should he make the tacklers job easier ?

It's nto evasive skills mate. Go and watch Mathieson. Thomas and McLean play, it's acting and staging, if that goes from the game, i'm bloody well ecstatic.

It's skill to draw those free

Maybe players need to know the ones that are hard to tackle and come up with different strategies to,counter it

Leave it alone ...we only see maybe three or four a game ...it's not deciding games

It's skill to draw those free

Maybe players need to know the ones that are hard to tackle and come up with different strategies to,counter it

Leave it alone ...we only see maybe three or four a game ...it's not deciding games
Rhys Mathieson has had 9 in TWO games of AFL football.

It's not skill. it's pathetic staging. If you want to see the "skill" of drawing a free kick go watch a shit sport liker soccer.

Solution is fairly straightforward for mine.

If the bloke getting tackled unreasonably contributes to causing the tackle to go high, either by shrugging, lifting arm, dropping the knees, ducking or driving with head, don't pay a free.

It's not difficult to identify. Nearly all fans know when it's happened, who the main culprits are and how they go about it.

It's a game full of interpretations, one more won't hurt.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm telling you what the AFL ruled. No he wasn't coming off the ground. That came later. And he was NOT in the hands of the trainers when Mal Michael and Chris Scott bumped him.
If you read my initial comments you might see that I wasn't intending on having a debate about this.

The thing that I wanted to know what if it was Brad Scott who gutlessly sniped Riewoldt, and the poster then corrected me saying it was actually Chris.

Just need the rule moderated to account for "initial area of contact" in the case of shoulder shrugging and include knee dropping in the definition of ducking and all should be apples. Players should be allowed to raise the shoulders, duck and whatever to evade a tackle. No problem with that. The umps just need to not hand out frees for trying it; and in fact, should a player doing this wind up getting caught in the tackle, they should get pinged with prior opportunity, as you would for a dont-argue or any other attempted evasion in lieu of disposing of the ball.

So after watching all the games so far this week - this lifting of the arm and dropping the body to get a free is ruining a lot of contests.

I couldn't watch the Hawks / Lions game I was shaking my head too much ... and as a coward (according to Brad Scott) I have to name Lindsay Thomas's efforts on Friday night. First time in forever that I have agreed with Dermott, but what Lindsay did on Friday was the pinnacle of crapola.

As soon as a player lifts the arm to push the tackle high, I think there should be a free for "Inducing High Contact" or something like that. The ducking thing also needs to umpired more clearly. If you drop your body in the tackle, pay a ducking free. This needs to be stamped out.

I would love to see how often it has happened this round in a video sequence (across all teams). It is just becoming a real problem in our game ... and it will not stop while the umps pay frees for doing it.

Coward.

Fair enough - I guess Lindsay is the face of it, the most prominent exponent of the tactic along with McLean and Selwood. I definitely see it in every game. I know that Milera from the Crows drops his height often, and as a young player I wouldn't want that to be encouraged through him receiving frees.

I don't think it will cause havoc. Even it is just NOT paying the high free if the player induces it. If the player lifts the arm to try and break the tackle OR drops his body to try and break the tackle OR both ... then say play on. If the player then doesn't dispose of the ball properly play htb.

Is that backed up by the stats? Thought so...

High tackle free kicks (2007-2016)
1. 299 - Joel Selwood
2. 145 - Adam Selwood
3. 126 - Marc Murphy
4. 118 - Allen Christensen
5. 114 - Andrew Swallow
-----------------------------
25. 73 - Lindsay Thomas

and for this season??

FREE KICKS FOR HIGH TACKLES 2016

1. Allen Christensen (Brisbane Lions) 17*
2. Toby McLean (Western Bulldogs) 17
3. George Hewett (Sydney) 13
4. Anthony Miles (Richmond) 12
5. Joel Selwood (Geelong) 12
6. Jack Ziebell (North Melbourne) 9
7. James Sicily (Hawthorn) 8
8. Luke Parker (Sydney) 8
9. Luke Shuey (West Coast) 8
10. Tom Lynch (Adelaide) 7
--------
25. Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne) 4

* Stats after Friday night’s game
SOURCE: Champion Data

and??

In fact, in the past four seasons, he's never even been in the top ten.
2015 rank: #14
2014 rank: #26
2013 rank: #12
2012 rank: #50

Point is not whether he is the worst offender.
That still puts him in the top 5-10% of all players in the AFL.

1. 299 - Joel Selwood
2. 145 - Adam Selwood
3. 126 - Marc Murphy
5. 114 - Andrew Swallow
25. 73 - Lindsay Thomas

and for this season??

--------

and??

I agree, Lindsey cops a bad wack in terms of reputation on this.

He no doubt does it alot but there are far worse.

The one I hate the most is James Sicily from Hawthorn. If he bends to pick a ball up he automatically throws his entire body forward and snaps his head back at the same time. He is in the top 10 for HT and he is a bloody KPP. Disgraceful.

1. 299 - Joel Selwood
2. 145 - Adam Selwood
3. 126 - Marc Murphy
5. 114 - Andrew Swallow
25. 73 - Lindsay Thomas

and for this season??

--------

and??

I love the effort you are going to defend LT for something I am not accusing him of. You seem blind to the fact that I am not saying he is the guy that does it the most, or the only guy that does it. I said he is the one in the spotlight right now.

Anyway, forget that LIndsay is being used in the example and move to the solution.

Ooooo - being called a coward by some random on an anonymous Internet forum ... how will I go on? Grow up.

Are you that confused? I never said what Thomas did was equal to Jonas. I said that the most recent and most extreme examples always get used.

Thomas's move to go back and look for the tackle - induce the tackle - grab the tacklers arm and basically hit himself high with it while he drops - is as bad as it gets when it comes to this topic.

I was responding to the post that said Thomas should be suspended for 6 weeks - which would make it the same as Jonas.

Isn't it amazing how supporters blindly defend they're own.

North with Lindsday Thomas, and Brisbane with Rhy Mathieson.

I, as a West Coast supporter, fully admit that a lot of players on our team are guilty of tactics to win a high free kick. There's no point blindly defending that those a disgraceful acts that should never have come into the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a solution - Lifting the arm / Dropping height to get a high free - how do we stop it?

Back