Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure it is inadequate. However if it is then they should have been told much earlier, like a couple of years earlier.

But you were the away team then too, and your response? A bar down the side of the jumper hastily designed, one that you kept using and has now been shown to be inadequate...still.

found inadequate after 4 years, its been fine till now

also to be fair - they had 4 days to design and produce a jumper - most companies Ive worked with cant even sign off on a design in 4 weeks

also to be fair - they had 4 days to design and produce a jumper - most companies Ive worked with cant even sign off on a design in 4 weeks
It seems the AFL have their panties in a bunch over both teams having white numbers, if the tigers clash had yellow numbers i doubt this whole BS would of happened... all for the TV audience

It's probably all they will force you to do with the clash strip next year ie. yellow on the sides, no sash on the back with yellow numbers

It seems the AFL have their panties in a bunch over both teams having white numbers, if the tigers clash had yellow numbers i doubt this whole BS would of happened... all for the TV audience

It's probably all they will force you to do with the clash strip next year ie. yellow on the sides, no sash on the back with yellow numbers
Similar to our white jumper but with yellow and black V or sash would do the trick.

I actually think it will be harder than that - a predominantly yellow or white jersey. We're discussing it on our board, and the most popular are:

Richmond-2014-Clash_zpsb5e5983b.png
2014Richmondwhiteclash_zps20d1b437.png
richmondwhiteclash.png

BF7_402693_500.jpg
clashjumper.png

FWIW no RFC fan outside the banter wants to force any club not to play in their home strip. Now the AFL has moved the goal posts - again - we as fans get that our clash needs to be viable for all takers. We are arguing what we should have, but most concede a big change is needed (not just tinkering with the current clash). I hate speaking for all tigers, but for me personally I just don't want us to be yet another side with a white top and a hello kitty on it (which seems popular among WCE and Sydney supporters on the main board). Your alt and the Freo one work not because they are white, but because they are reflective of your regular home jersey

Unfortunately my fellow Saints fan, the 1976 FA Cup is the only major trophy we have won and that's the reason fro the nostalgia.:$

COYR:)

Could've given it a decent shake last year if that campaigner MP hadn't inexplicably rested players in the R16 tie at Sunderland. Win that and we'd have played Hull (beat them twice in the league) then Sheff Utd (League One) and been in the final.

I'll end derail here.

2014Richmondwhiteclash_zps20d1b437.png

This is the obvious one for mine.

its become a split to be honest, and can be summed up in two camps

One camp has the yellow sash as sacred, and this (white with black bordered yellow sash) is their preferred

Other camp has the yellow and black as sacred, and they are on the yellow with black sash train (which includes me)

Obviously this is based upon some pre-existing designs, and some created by BF posters, so who knows what the club wants or will do, but if this is indicative of their thinking I don't this Port will have an issue with our jumper anymore (as it should be)

We have debated wildly on this forum why this came about. Some good points have been made, some have been just thin swipes at the other team. The one thing that seems to have disappeared in all this is why did the AFL do this in the first place? I have never heard any kind of a statement from them except we must wear our clash jumper, not even anything to say why. The reasons for not wearing it must outweigh the reasons for wearing it. It is our home game, it does not clash as has been shown, it is not even a night game. I thought for a second that might have something to do with it before I remembered it was 2.50. It is true that sometimes a clash on TV exists when dark plays dark, and this may even exist with Richmond's clash guernsey, but I have mainly noticed that problem at Etihad games.
The only reason I can see for wearing it is IF a clash jumper must be worn, we have one ready and waiting. Well, that reason has been well and truly put to bed because a new one is now being made. Michelangelo Rucci in the cowvertiser made a good point about why Port should not ignore the AFL and run out in Bib, saying the AFL, as well as applying the $5000 per player fine($110000) would act like a spoiled child and give us no good games at AO, multiple long trips and six-day breaks, everything to reduce our success and money-making ability in 2015.

I am not looking for opinions but hard facts, has anyone in the AFL said WHY they wanted us to wear our away guernsey? I don't expect one from Gillon McLachlan because he has no balls, I suspect that as an SA boy he may in his weird way be trying to make a statement that he will not be playing favourites.

Just out of interest, has anyone else noticed that their computer or phone corrects their spelling of guernsey by putting in a capital "G" to make it the same as the island? However, it can then be corrected manually to the lower case.

Incidentally, earlier this year I saw a little kid wearing a half BiB / half PB jumper which looked pretty cool. Am assuming it was a custom job and he has the opposite one at home
Some of us managed to score these last year before the person getting them produced had to stop (I don't know what the final outcome of that was) because it seems all the necessary approvals had not been obtained when they thought they had done the right thing from what I was told - so the dual BiB & PB guernsey is now virtually a collector's item - a good friend of mine in here whose user name bears no resemblance to his year of birth:D had his framed and I too saw a few people wearing them at our games at AAMI last year.

Edit:- just checked and it's PB on half of the front and the Power's older zig zag guernsey design on the other half of the front and the 2 designs are separated by that lace up look (not real lace up) - looks really good - so if there is a half BiB and half PB one going around then I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:
We have debated wildly on this forum why this came about. Some good points have been made, some have been just thin swipes at the other team. The one thing that seems to have disappeared in all this is why did the AFL do this in the first place? I have never heard any kind of a statement from them except we must wear our clash jumper, not even anything to say why. The reasons for not wearing it must outweigh the reasons for wearing it. It is our home game, it does not clash as has been shown, it is not even a night game. I thought for a second that might have something to do with it before I remembered it was 2.50. It is true that sometimes a clash on TV exists when dark plays dark, and this may even exist with Richmond's clash guernsey, but I have mainly noticed that problem at Etihad games.
The only reason I can see for wearing it is IF a clash jumper must be worn, we have one ready and waiting. Well, that reason has been well and truly put to bed because a new one is now being made. Michelangelo Rucci in the cowvertiser made a good point about why Port should not ignore the AFL and run out in Bib, saying the AFL, as well as applying the $5000 per player fine($110000) would act like a spoiled child and give us no good games at AO, multiple long trips and six-day breaks, everything to reduce our success and money-making ability in 2015.

I am not looking for opinions but hard facts, has anyone in the AFL said WHY they wanted us to wear our away guernsey? I don't expect one from Gillon McLachlan because he has no balls, I suspect that as an SA boy he may in his weird way be trying to make a statement that he will not be playing favourites.

Just out of interest, has anyone else noticed that their computer or phone corrects their spelling of guernsey by putting in a capital "G" to make it the same as the island? However, it can then be corrected manually to the lower case.

The closest was Evans, when he said for the look of the game it would be best with the two most contrasting jumpers, and that meant your white top

Most on BF have read that as "it looks better on TV"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its become a split to be honest, and can be summed up in two camps

One camp has the yellow sash as sacred, and this (white with black bordered yellow sash) is their preferred

Other camp has the yellow and black as sacred, and they are on the yellow with black sash train (which includes me)

Obviously this is based upon some pre-existing designs, and some created by BF posters, so who knows what the club wants or will do, but if this is indicative of their thinking I don't this Port will have an issue with our jumper anymore (as it should be)

The thing is about 'sacred'...only the home jumper should be 'sacred'. This is the mentality that has to be changed if we are to have an equal Australian competition. Away jumper should be an opposite of 'sacredness' for the sake of clashing

They still don't have a problem with you...they have a problem with us.

The thing is about 'sacred'...only the home jumper should be 'sacred'. This is the mentality that has to be changed if we are to have an equal Australian competition. Away jumper should be an opposite of 'sacredness' for the sake of clashing

I'd disagree with that, because I think it comes down to how you do it. Yours is a great example. Retained your shape, retained your colours, its clearly Port Adelaide. You look at the lions, hawks, eagles, and crows, their white with cartoon all look the bloody same.

For me personally a clash should have two jobs. To create a proper and sufficient clash for those games its needed, AND to reflect the history and culture of the club

Clubs can still do the cartoons, just leave them for the pre-season comp

They still don't have a problem with you...they have a problem with us.

no, they had a problem with us, they just unfairly made you guys pay the price for it (trust me that isn't lost on any of us)

The closest was Evans, when he said for the look of the game it would be best with the two most contrasting jumpers, and that meant your white top

Most on BF have read that as "it looks better on TV"

The look? Is the man mad? The first ever game I went to was Port Adelaide v Glenelg and they both had dark jumpers and the look was magnificent. Even when Port at one point had a jumper with a lot more black in it than now there was no clash. This is what we get for entrusting our greatest game to an interior decorator.

I'd disagree with that, because I think it comes down to how you do it. Yours is a great example. Retained your shape, retained your colours, its clearly Port Adelaide. You look at the lions, hawks, eagles, and crows, their white with cartoon all look the bloody same.

For me personally a clash should have two jobs. To create a proper and sufficient clash for those games its needed, AND to reflect the history and culture of the club

I agree with this.

If Richmond went with a yellow guernsey with a black sash, (ie the current VFL strip) you would have one of, if not THE, best guernsey set in the AFL. (apart from ours, of course.)

Even your 'cartoon' guernsey is one of the better ones and provides an alternative for the pre-season comp.

Hearing Gale speak on the matter, I'm confident that Richmond will take the lead on this next season and implement a suitable clash strip that is in keeping with the black + yellow sash design.

Not sure it is inadequate. However if it is then they should have been told much earlier, like a couple of years earlier.

This is the nub of the problem. Gilligan's Island (the AFL) should acknowledge this, issue PAFC an apology and pick up the tab for the new guernseys.

Our traditional history and culture was the PB jumper. We had to compromise to join the AUSTRALIAN Football League. Victorian clubs should also compromise if they want to play against AUSTRALIAN league clubs. This should be a non-issue. Victorian clubs history or colours are no more or less important than clubs from outside of Victoria and vice-versa. If a visiting side's colours clash with the home side's, than they go opposite, tradition and sacredness goes out the window...no matter where the visiting side hails from, or how old their club is. This is equal

The look? Is the man mad? The first ever game I went to was Port Adelaide v Glenelg and they both had dark jumpers and the look was magnificent. Even when Port at one point had a jumper with a lot more black in it than now there was no clash. This is what we get for entrusting our greatest game to an interior decorator.

from my biased Gen X POV, there seems to be a split - the baby boomers and the Gen X'ers versus the Gen Y's

The BB's and X'ers grew up watching games in torrential rain and mud bogs, and watching games on black and white TV's. As one of the BB's said on the main, you could tell the difference between north and the pies on B&W quite easily as you were used to differentiating the tones of grey

The Gen Y's seem to be watching the much larger contrast, and have raised concerns about watching it on smart phones for instance.

Its a fight I hate losing - I still think Richmond and Essendon don't need clash strips against each other (many of our fans feel the same) - but I appreciate the move is towards a more media friendly viewing experience.

That being said, if we have to change, I want the change to reflect our clubs culture (as you guys did really well)

Our traditional history and culture was the PB jumper. We had to compromise to join the AUSTRALIAN Football League. Victorian clubs should also compromise if they want to play against AUSTRALIAN league clubs. This should be a non-issue. Victorian clubs history or colours are no more or less important than clubs from outside of Victoria and vice-versa. If a visiting side's colours clash with the home side's, than they go opposite, tradition and sacredness goes out the window...no matter where the visiting side hails from, or how old their club is. This is equal

I actually agree 100% with this - I was one who always thought you should have been allowed the PB outside of games against the Pies

Im saying this should be for ALL clubs - no away club should be deciding what the home team wears. Its a cop out to just go white with cartoon though. Clubs should use some brain power and come up with attractive clash jumpers that reflect their clubs history AND present a viable clash.

The fact two non-vic clubs have some up with the best two clash jumpers just highlights this - with shorter histories in the AFL (or with this design in your case) you still came up with a design that better represents your club that most of the Melbourne clubs (outside the Pies - theirs is genius)

Clubs need to stop being lazy, learn from you guys, and do better design

I can kind of understand the AFL saying that they want the least clash possible between two teams, however it doesn't explain their inconsistency, last year they didn't make Carlton wear their away strip against Richmond when they were the 'away' team, which is where they appear to just want the traditional vic jumpers on show. This isn't withstanding the whole white shorts debacle which often makes things worse (ie Freo having to wear white shorts v hawthorn in a gf).

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Wearing our prison bar guernsey for a home final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back