Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
7. Daniel Connors (Geelong)
25. Rhyce Prismall (Geelong)
41. Tom Hawkins (Geelong)
57. Jason Davenport (Geelong)
73. Simon Plummer (Geelong)

give me hawksley to us and prismall to richmond and i'd be 100% happy if this was the outcome of our picks.

ive liked the look of connors all year. reminds me at times of jimmy bartel, but with more pace. also likes to get forward and kick a goal too.

tats said:
You are a complete dud, delete this thread, this guy doesnt know what day it is

The best thing about an opinion is that you don't have to know anything to have one.

Tat's you are an idiot

Weaver, from what you have seen, of the top 5 picks in this draft, who are likely to be future captains? I have heard great things about Selwood in this regard.

Also how do you rate Leunberger against last years top ruckman Ryder, and next years ruck prospects like Kruzer.

Do you have any concerns about Hansen's kicking ability?

Weaver, first off, super effort mate.

I disagree with some of your selections, but thats what this is all about hey!

Putting in your time and effort is fantastic and I would like to congratulate you.

Now, can you tell me more on Will Schofield, David MacKay and Rhys Magin and I wonder if we have the same richmond spies ;)

Top work Weaver. No doubt the draft will throw up a lot of surprises, will it match your surprises - who knows? Thanks.

Comments on Essendon:

Up to pick #47, you have us picking up 1 tall defender, 1 HBF, 1 HFF, 2 rovers and 1 ruck rover (Mourish).

Given Lucy & Henneman's delistings, I suspect we'll take two tall defenders - we only have Bradley, Lee & Fletcher to play tall now.

I also think with Lonngergen & Slattery on the list in addtion to Watson/Stanton, we'd only take one to two rovers/ruck rovers, and a focus would be on players with good foot skills to complement Watson/Stanton.

And as others have mentioned, I think with Cole/NLM/McPhee/McVeigh/Welsh and Nash/Slattery we wouldn't be too interested in any HBF players. You initially describe Schmidt as a HBF, but then as a utility. To pick him up, we'd have to think he is a lot more utility than HBF, and your description seems to imply there are real issues with his ability to play centre square (and you don't mention the forward line).

Weaver said:
I would agree that Collingwood need an inside guy. I however think that the laws of supply and demand in AFL-draft-land see the athletic freak types (Pendelbury, Egan etc) go first. The good, allround midfield types are in less demand and go later (Swallow).

I think that pace is perhaps the most prized asset in modern football and unless a club jumps early for someone like Edwards, then they don't get a quick player.
You're right, but guys like Hislop and Armitage are pretty athletic to be just calling all-round midfield types, and they don't share Swallow's kicking queries.

They fit more in the mould of guys like Sylvia, McLean, Lewis, Higgins or Jones that have gone near the top end of the draft in recent years, in that on pre-draft assessment, they don't have any glaring flaws to consider. I think it's actually more likely that one of these guys rises up the order ala Brock McLean or Jordan Lewis than drops away in favour of someone like Shane Edwards.

Port picks are decent. Cant see us picking up a mid sized forward in Turner when weve got a plethora of that type already though. Probably look at a Mitch Brown tall forward/defender instead. We need a KPP this draft in my opinion.

Sam Sheldon is rumoured to be holding off nominating until next year's draft, so who would you have drafted with pick 51 instead of Sheldon?

Deluca is rumoured to be retiring for work related reasons and we might need to draft another tall late to replace him. A ruckman such as Currie or Jacobs sound OK but I know of someone who posts on here who wants Batsanis. ;)

How is Houli is still available? :eek:

cypher said:
Sam Sheldon is rumoured to be holding off nominating until next year's draft, so who would you have drafted with pick 51 instead of Sheldon?

Deluca is rumoured to be retiring for work related reasons and we might need to draft another tall late to replace him. A ruckman would be ideal but I know of someone who posts on here who wants Batsanis. ;)
Maybe you should get leuenberger at 1 ;)

vinnie_vegas69 said:
You're right, but guys like Hislop and Armitage are pretty athletic to be just calling all-round midfield types, and they don't share Swallow's kicking queries.

I asked John Beveridge why he decided to pull a few rejects and smokies out of lower comps rather than go for Andrew Swallow with a late pick and he said that Swallow had severe kicking problems that were keeping most clubs from drafting him, so I don't think we'll see Hislop/Armitage slide that far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weaver, you have the incorrect order for picks between about 55 and 65 ... the Saints should have pick #59, not 61.

Other than that, fantastic effort. :thumbsu: You have relied on knowledge instead of what many of the idiots on here say ...

People, weaver will be much closer to the mark than most on here. The draft never runs as expected.

Fantastic effort ... I would be pretty happy with those selections for the Saints. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

mad-saint-guy said:
I asked John Beveridge why he decided to pull a few rejects and smokies out of lower comps rather than go for Andrew Swallow with a late pick and he said that Swallow had severe kicking problems that were keeping most clubs from drafting him, so I don't think we'll see Hislop/Armitage slide that far.
Yeah, as I was saying, Swallow was considered to have a very serious flaw before being drafted, like most other highly rated draftees who fall.

Very few draftees fall a long way in the draft despite being the perfect player. No matter what happens in any circumstance, an athletic prospect like Mitch Thorp will never fall that far.

Someone like Billy Morrison, who was big, strong and tested well athletically at DC, but had absolutely no football skills whatsoever and hadn't played football in 12 months, still only "fell" to #17.

I don't see complete footballers like Tom Hislop and David Armitage, both of whom are legimate 6-footers with above average athleticism and an aggressive, tough attack on the ball, combined with good solid skills, will scare clubs off enough to render them "undraftable" at the early picks.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
Yeah, as I was saying, Swallow was considered to have a very serious flaw before being drafted, like most other highly rated draftees who fall.

Someone like Billy Morrison, who was big, strong and tested well athletically at DC, but had absolutely no football skills whatsoever and hadn't played football in 12 months, still only "fell" to #17.
Bit rough on Billy, he was a very good mark and a member of the AIS, but was never the same after his shoulder injury.

As for Swallow I think he was, in part, a result of the 'recruiter's syndrome'. What often happens with the higher rated players is that shortly before the draft, recruiters start looking at what they can't do, rather than what the player can do.

So Swallow's kicking action, although well known, was given a greater negative rating the closer the draft came. Conversely some players (eg Higgins and Thomas last year) make late surges as the recruiters hone in on their positives.

Thanks, Weaver. From my analysis of the Hawthorn list, we're still short a couple of KPPs, but you have us taking Selwood at #6. Like worthy, I'm not questioning your (far) superior knowledge of the draftees, but I think Hawthorn will be looking to take a top-rated KPP at #6 over Selwood, unless he really is the best available after the first five picks have been taken. With Josh Kennedy rounding out our contingent of "power midfielders" I would have thought our need for somebody like Selwood would be less than our need for somebody like Thorp or Sellar (for example).

But it was a great read, Weaver, and thanks for all your hard work.

scottwade said:
Bit rough on Billy, he was a very good mark and a member of the AIS, but was never the same after his shoulder injury.
I'm going on what he showed AFTER being drafted - Appeared to have no idea what to do on a football field, and had no commitment to keeping himself in shape, and these are qualities that I quite simply refuse to believe were present pre-draft, and then vanished later.

scottwade said:
So Swallow's kicking action, although well known, was given a greater negative rating the closer the draft came. Conversely some players (eg Higgins and Thomas last year) make late surges as the recruiters hone in on their positives.
Agree that this happens, but in regards to guys like Higgins and Thomas, it was relatively clear that they were going to go high last year, because they have few flaws.

Even with Thomas, who in a negative view can be seen as an outside player possibly more suited to a flank or wing than true midfield, he is much more consistent and hard at the ball than most of his type, which makes him a much lower risk than the average player of his type.

Heath Grundy is another who this happened with - Teams split hairs over his 190cm height, which was considered to be "too short", but he showed that it didn't really matter, and subsequently grew to 192cm regardless. Danyle Pearce too - Was considered too small at 177cm, but realistically, if he was 180cm, he wouldn't play any differently.

vinnie_vegas69 said:
I'm going on what he showed AFTER being drafted - Appeared to have no idea what to do on a football field, and had no commitment to keeping himself in shape, and these are qualities that I quite simply refuse to believe were present pre-draft, and then vanished later.
I think in this particular instance they WERE present before the draft.
He missed a whole season and yet turned up in sensational 'form' at the draft camp, being in the top 10 in the beep test and 3 km run.

What happened, after the draft, was that his shoulder still restricted his greatest strength, his marking, and his confidence and ultimately his form and fitness suffered, done in as much mentally as physically.

Again this lack of confidence wasn't foreseen as his leadership skills and self confidence were both ranked very highly, which helped explain him being drafted in the 1st round, even after missing a season of football.

nice work weaver, been waiting for this for quite a while now. i have a few questions about the oakleigh players you have or haven't selected.

todd goldstein - do you really think he will go that high? he was very late on the scene & didn't even play 10 games. he definatly showed a lot in the little time he had, but why would a club take a gamble on him so early?

sam sheldon - could do with another year in the TAC. richmond made a similar mistake a few years ago by drafting daniel jackson a year too early as people thought he would be taken very high the year after, but carlton have no reason to draft sheldon now because they will get him father/son next year anyway, & therefore he may not even nominate. needs more time to develop IMO, but why do you think carlton would take him this year?

also i think kelly would have a better chance of being drafted than mackay, but i can understand why you think different to that. & lastly, what is your opinion of nick smith & why do you think he will miss out? is he worth a rookie spot?

i know you have a lot of questions to answer, but reply when you can weaver. much appreciated!

& just on richmond's picks, i think you have done a better job than most of our supporters are suggesting. would rather benjamin at pick13 but i can understand why you went with boak instead. hawksley will be a good player, wherever he ends up.

TheBacko said:
todd goldstein - do you really think he will go that high? he was very late on the scene & didn't even play 10 games. he definatly showed a lot in the little time he had, but why would a club take a gamble on him so early?

The draft isn't always about merit / performance. 200cm ruckmen with good skills, hands and some footy smarts are rare. He has no muscle definition at the moment, and is slow off the mark, but looks a good ruck/forward prospect.

Plenty of people are prepared to put Tippett in the top-10 - well Goldstein has shown at least as much. I am putting his name forward as someone who will 'suprise' on draft day.

TheBacko said:
sam sheldon - could do with another year in the TAC. richmond made a similar mistake a few years ago by drafting daniel jackson a year too early as people thought he would be taken very high the year after, but carlton have no reason to draft sheldon now because they will get him father/son next year anyway, & therefore he may not even nominate. needs more time to develop IMO, but why do you think carlton would take him this year?

Daniel Jackson was/is a pure athlete with little clue of how to play, no good form behind him and no obvious AFL position to play in.

Sheldon is a genuine winger with pace, skills and class. Carlton might try to convince him not to nominate but how many here would turn down a $40k job? Effectively guarenteed $100k (minimum) over 2 years if he is drafted. On the other hand he does a knee next preseason, or struggles? Also why would Carlton be so keen to give up a 3rd round pick next year when a 5th rounder could suffice this year?

TheBacko said:
also i think kelly would have a better chance of being drafted than mackay, but i can understand why you think different to that. & lastly, what is your opinion of nick smith & why do you think he will miss out? is he worth a rookie spot?

MacKay is an AFL type. A running player with OK pace and very good kicking. Kelly is not an AFL type. Little stamina, pace or kicking skill but wonderfully tough, aggresive and footy smart.

Smith is certainly a rookie list candidate. Realistically the difference in someone at 35 and a late rookie listing is typically really small. You could throw a blanket over 60 blokes and any could get picked up.

I just think Smith lacks a real stand-out quality.

TheBacko said:
& just on richmond's picks, i think you have done a better job than most of our supporters are suggesting. would rather benjamin at pick13 but i can understand why you went with boak instead. hawksley will be a good player, wherever he ends up.

I skipped on Benjamin because of the presence of JON and to a lesser extent Casserley. Benjamin is too similar to them for our first pick. I think Boak has Dal Santo like qualities and will be a special player in a few years.

Citizen Erased said:
Sorry if this has been said but MITCHELL BROWN at pick 64!!!!! Sorry but he is a top 30 pick EASILY!............:D

Like Heath Grundy as a top 30 pick ? Easily ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back