List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Williams (Pick 35, 2018 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

When he plays with mongrel(like he did on the weekend) he plays a bit like Charlie Dixon a bit in tge way he moves around. Tho Charlie is a man mountain. I do think as a ruckmen (especially the way he plays) he need to be bigger/more powerful. It’s kinda funny how when our players bulk up they become slower an immobile but at other clubs it tends to be the opposite

If he could add more consistent contested marking to his bow then he’ll be at least serviceable.

Briggs from GWS is six months older but has shown a fair bit more in his three matches this year (he’s only played 12 games in total). He was in our sights IIRC but GWS took him before us.

If Bailey can match his development trajectory that would be nice. Doing ok though.

If he could add more consistent contested marking to his bow then he’ll be at least serviceable.
And uncontested.

I don’t know that I've ever seen a player get both hands to the ball only for it to sail straight through them quite as often as Billiams. It's like his thumbs exist only in theory.

Briggs from GWS is six months older but has shown a fair bit more in his three matches this year (he’s only played 12 games in total). He was in our sights IIRC but GWS took him before us.

If Bailey can match his development trajectory that would be nice. Doing ok though.
Also a bit cleaner picking the ball up. He’ll get both hands to the ball on occasions and still take 45 minyes to fully grasp it and dish it out.

Getting better, brain fades are decreasing. If I’m not mistaken he hasn’t missed a game which is a fair achievement in this side.

Next step is clunking a few more marks and maybe a bit more finesse with his taps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His improvement in following up when the ball hits the ground has been noticeable. Nic's influence I think.

It was a trait that he showed when he played with the Dandenong Stingrays and it was on of the reasons I was chuffed when we drafted him.
His second and third efforts when the ball hit the ground was a real feature, of his play, in his draft year.
In his underage year he was thrust into playing ruck rather than as a forward because VIC Country had a spate of injuries to what would have been their preferred first choice ruck options.

Williams Development this season should serve as another reminder to all that patience is required when assessing talls, as invariably they require 5-6 seasons in the system before they start holding their own.

Williams Development has been one of the few shinning lights in what otherwise has been a dismal season.

He has really turned a corner this year and I can now see his potential to be a solid ruck, where previously I just hoped. His durability has also improved big time.

I'm actually reluctant for Nic Nat to come back (if it was actually possible) as I don't want to interrupt his development.
i dont think you have to worry about nic returning this year.

And uncontested.

I don’t know that I've ever seen a player get both hands to the ball only for it to sail straight through them quite as often as Billiams. It's like his thumbs exist only in theory.
His marking technique is poor, hard to tell in full speed but in slow-mo you can see he often claps his hands together when going for a mark, so it's not surprising how easily he drops them uncontested. Kind of makes it more remarkable when he does take a contested mark. Think he does this with the ground ball too hence why he's been so fumbly, tries to clap his hands when grabbing the ball instead of scooping it up. The other thing is he doesn't seem to fully realise how big he is. He's been getting better at using his size since the earlier rounds but I want to see him going 100% at contests more often, can still be too timid. He has a lot of things going right for him, good kicking technique (we haven't really seen him kick short much (which is fine) but his longer kicks can be penetrating), handballs are fine, moves well for a big guy, and seems to read the play well enough.

People on this board are often saying he's developing well, but rarely specify how. I want to see him get better at timing his leap/reading the other ruck at CBD which should come with experience, improve his marking (dropping less marks), and physically committing more to contests (think he has the ability to essentially play as an inside mid after the ruck), whether it's tackling or winning the ball as I think these areas are where he's lacking the most. Still has lots of upside.

And uncontested.

If you watch closely, he is fearful of spoils coming when he goes to mark. Often, he ducks his head or even closes his eyes when the ball arrives as he is expecting a thump from behind. Really good contested marks like McGovern and Barrass both never take their eyes off the ball.

Hopefully Williams gets some confidence and stops hearing footsteps.

If you watch closely, he is fearful of spoils coming when he goes to mark. Often, he ducks his head or even closes his eyes when the ball arrives as he is expecting a thump from behind. Really good contested marks like McGovern and Barrass both never take their eyes off the ball.

Hopefully Williams gets some confidence and stops hearing footsteps.
That'll come with confidence. At least he's not shirking the contest altogether, which is the main thing.

Having a better year than Sam Draper also, who's nearly 2 years older and the Vic Media froths over. Admittedly, Draper's a rookie pick, so he's doing well in his own right but he seems to be highly rated, whilst a lot of our supporters like to shit on Williams despite his significant progression this year.

Having a better year than Sam Draper also, who's nearly 2 years older and the Vic Media froths over. Admittedly, Draper's a rookie pick, so he's doing well in his own right but he seems to be highly rated, whilst a lot of our supporters like to s**t on Williams despite his significant progression this year.
Draper gets hype because of his appearance and his celebrations etc.

Briggs is the one to compare with going forward. Taken one pick before

Really needs to work on his goal kicking. Specifically his ball drop

Yeah honestly this is the one thing.

I've been so happy with BBBBW this year, anyone who's finding a net negative out of his performances has been conditioned for pain (which is fair enough!).

He's greatly improved his
  • Competitiveness in ruck contests (something English has pretty much only done this year and it's elevated him to AA level). Bailey still yet to hit his ceiling here IMO.
  • Followup efforts
  • Clearance work through the roof
  • Ability to halve contests aerially (though still not a consistent mark there's far less times he's getting caught 2m behind his opponent, it's generally coming to ground at least)
  • fitness
  • composure by hand, he's playing better within his limitations in this regard and either taking an obvious option if it's there or just booting it which is honestly preferable to handballing it to Gaff who then snaps it half the distance

He won't be the dominant AA ruck we've been spoilt with forever but neither was Stanley last year, or Nankervis, or even McEvoy really. I do honestly reckon Bailey can be better than Rhys Stanley at least.

But the goalkicking needs to get fixed. Spilling a mark is one thing, gives us a chance to crumb, but having such limited solid entries and then such certainty a player is going to miss from 30m out straight in front is a killer. It's something that can hopefully get worked on - doesn't have to be pretty, NN was an ugly but effective set shot. As others have said, give him a set routine and give him some confidence in it, it looks like there's no plan going in and he's overthinking every shot

Look at Mason Cox. Absolutely bullet proof from 35m in and the guy never saw a footy until he was effectively an adult.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Bailey Williams (Pick 35, 2018 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back