List Mgmt. Welcome Jack Petruccelle (Pick 38, 2017 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Could he become our version of Max Holmes? Not as good of course, but he could potentially develop into that kind of player.

Like JJ he now has a role he can actually impact in so lets just let him play that role till the end of the year and go from there. WC have always talked up playing him as a mid but haven't had the chance too prior all the injuries.

They have had ample chances in the WAFL when he was playing there.

Having best 22 player around his age bracket is so vital with the age disparity we have in the squads. Would be one of the small wins for us tgis year if he turns himself into a solid 22 players. It’s all about building confidence in himself imo and I think he’s slowly realising what he can be at this level

Having best 22 player around his age bracket is so vital with the age disparity we have in the squads. Would be one of the small wins for us tgis year if he turns himself into a solid 22 players. It’s all about building confidence in himself imo and I think he’s slowly realising what he can be at this level
Yea well said, he is also playing a lot of the bench at the moment.
I would like to see him at half back changing onto the ball more, give him more ground time

But having said that as a mid his defensive side is really really good.
He could teach Sheed how to be accountable to your man
His running patterns there are much more natural to him and has shown good burst from stoppage
We can see his confidence growing more he plays there

On a wing he gets lost and bypassed, in the middle that doesn't happen

I would like to see him at half back changing onto the ball more, give him more ground time

His running patterns there are much more natural to him and has shown good burst from stoppage

My only concern with him in a back flank is that his kicking isn’t flash and we really don’t want anymore turnover merchants across there

Like JJ he now has a role he can actually impact in so lets just let him play that role till the end of the year and go from there. WC have always talked up playing him as a mid but haven't had the chance too prior all the injuries.
heck that, now he is showing signs of playing well we need to move him into a more unfamiliar role - how about ruck?

Have been meaning to post something very similar.

Adversity often presents opportunity.

Have started to notice Petro is growing nicely into an inside role. He has a semi mature AFL body now and remember he isnt short.

He is finally hunting the ball at the coal face , closer to stoppages and is hitting and spreading at pace. Has the leg speed to burst away or apply defensive pressure.

He also speads well and we have been using him and marking and kicking goals from just inside 50.

We need to keep developing him here closer to the play. Not on a flank or forward, he can rest there.

We look back in this thread and straight up we thought Petch would likely be a slow burn. He's now 23. Get our new fitness guru to improve his power and endurance another 5% and keep him in the guts.

May well surprise everyone next year. Two year extension.

Last edited:

Have started to notice Petro is growing nicely into an inside role. He has a semi mature AFL body now and remember he isnt short.

He is finally hunting the ball at the coal face , closer to stoppages and is hitting and spreading at pace. Has the leg speed to burst away or apply defensive pressure.

He also speads well and we have been using him and marking and kicking foals from just inside 50.

We need to keep developing him here closer to the play. Not on a flank or forward, he can rest there.

We look back in this thread and straight up we thought Petch would likely be a slow burn. He's now 23. Get our new fitness guru to improve his power and endurance another 5% and keep him in the guts.

Yep I've seen more I like from him playing around the stoppages than playing forward. He just doesn't have the footy IQ to know how to find space or have the nuances of a small forward. Put him around the stoppages so the ball either comes to him or he can use his burst speed to win the ground ball (as we have seen him doing lately), he's not shy to put his head over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep I've seen more I like from him playing around the stoppages than playing forward. He just doesn't have the footy IQ to know how to find space or have the nuances of a small forward. Put him around the stoppages so the ball either comes to him or he can use his burst speed to win the ground ball (as we have seen him doing lately), he's not shy to put his head over it.
More a see ball get ball then run forrest. Suits him.

Glad to see people are starting to come around.

Ring Around The Rosie Circle GIF by A24

Thought he was going to miss the running goal he kicked because he was still going flat out but finished well.

Is really different to a lot of our mids with speed and being reasonable overhead.

Fingers crossed he has a clear run from here

Obviously Petruccelle has improved his kicking a lot with age. His recent improvement in bursting out the pack reminds me of the Rowan Jones and Chris Judd combination. We should be adopting more blocking/sheperding for ball carrying players from now on. Greg Clark‘s shepherding helped Petruccelle to goal earlier this year is a good example.

He also speads well and we have been using him and marking and kicking goals from just inside 50.

Isn't he from a basketball background? They work in congestion and have to cut and slice through openings when they present themselves, so perhaps some of that is helping him at stoppages?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Jack Petruccelle (Pick 38, 2017 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back