News Welcome Shaun Hampson - Video Interview on the RFC Website 30/10/2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters is an integral part of Freo as a small forward. Same goes Ballantyne except he choked on the big stage. We have some very good talls that rarely get out marked. Problem is once it hits the ground they may as well have been out marked because oppo has clean possession. Martin and co can't crumb the packs.

Walters is a class above Ballantyne!!!

Walters is far superior aerially and under pressure when tight because he simply is better so he does not feel the pressure as much.

Ballantyne uses bluff a lot and they fact he needs to get in your ear show a weakness in the long run exposed in the GF.

Ballantyne uses his speed a lot, once that is negated he can be nullified far easier than Walters who is a lot more composed kick as well!!:thumbsu:

Love this trade.

Addressed a need and the Pick 31 it will end up being will be equivalent to a Pick in the 40's of a decent draft.

Hampson's stats when he was in the ruck show him to be very capable. A combination of injuries and Carlton playing him forward as they had ruckman in front of him meant we never saw him at his best. The frustration Carlton fans have in him is they know his talents. I remember the year he was drafted, most recruiters I spoke to said he is the wildcard.

At 25 years of age, a clear direction of him spending more time in the ruck, support from Maric, I think we are on a winner here.

Congratulations Blair.

Welcome, Shaun!

Don't really know much about him but I'm happy to give him a shot before I pass judgement. I have faith in our recruiters, especially given the excellent quality of some of our more recent recruits.

I'm excited about the prospect of having a 1&2 combination in the ruck, it'll be great for Maric to have some more help.

^ Mr Magic please either actually read the convo or don't post, you've been a pest through multiple threads.

I am agreeing with I can't see why they cannot crumb!!:rolleyes:

Whoever said they can't did they document a full explanation?? If not why would I bother?

I am not wasting my time with posters saying Martin can't crumb without solid reasoning and facts!!:cool:

Love this trade.
Hampson's stats when he was in the ruck show him to be very capable. A combination of injuries and Carlton playing him forward as they had ruckman in front of him meant we never saw him at his best. The frustration Carlton fans have in him is they know his talents. I remember the year he was drafted, most recruiters I spoke to said he is the wildcard.

That's the bottom line here, and why you shouldn't be too upset with the deal. At worst you've got yourselves a guy completely capable of holding down a no1 ruck spot, and at best you've got a freak athlete who can provide a target up forward to go along with the rucking.
Basically a low-risk move whereas pick 31 could be a great player or someone who will never even debut.

Felt a bit sorry for Hammer at times, has clearly fallen out with some of our less cultured supporters so might be nice for him to get through a game without the bronx cheers for once.

Walters is an integral part of Freo as a small forward. Same goes Ballantyne except he choked on the big stage. We have some very good talls that rarely get out marked. Problem is once it hits the ground they may as well have been out marked because oppo has clean possession. Martin and co can't crumb the packs.

Mc Beeeeeeeaaannnn tallest crumber in the VFL/AFL !!! Able to leap flaming dwafs in a single bound, more powerful than Robbie Nahas (que superman music)....

I am still not entirely sure why the Club lobbed for Hampson rather than making a pitch for Longer.
I also feel we marginally paid overs, although that should be less of an issue if we can trade back into the second round of the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still not entirely sure why the Club lobbed for Hampson rather than making a pitch for Longer.
I also feel we marginally paid overs, although that should be less of an issue if we can trade back into the second round of the draft.

We would've had to part ways with pick 11/12.

Greg Miller must've stepped in to oversee trade negotiations.

Pick 28 for an uncoordinated athlete who at no time has ever shown football smarts or an awareness of what he's doing on the field. To top it off for someone his size he has butter fingers and spills a lot of marks.

On what I've seen it would take a miracle for him to justify this pick. I hate this trade.

Hope he comes good for you guys
Was extremely frustrating to watch as a supporter
One of those...looks amazing at times but goes missing all together all too often

Could be a win win

Speaking to a friend at work who is a manic Carlton supporter (attends most games, including 2 or 3 interstate trips a year, attends B&F etc... you know the type), and they said what most of us already know... poor kick (especially goal kicking), and marking can be hit or miss... generally miss.

Not much to get excited about, right. But then when I suggested we'd probably be looking at playing him more as a ruck than a forward pinch hitting in the ruck, my friend says, actually, he was generally pretty good in the ruck.

My guess is that with two very good #1 rucks in Warnock & Kreuzer, he was being played in a position that he wasn't comfortable in... certainly not one that plays to his strengths. If we play him as an athletic ruck, and keep his kick-to-handball ratio at a good level, then I reckon he could well be a good pick up.

Not sure why we didn't look at Trent West as an alternative. But then, perhaps we did.

Is that all??
OK, a buddy for Maric. Yippee!! :rolleyes:

Another clunky, proppy forward.
RFC, NOW SORT THE DAMN FORWARDLINE OUT AND GET SOME FORWARD RATS!!! FFS :mad:

We are too slow at the feet of Riewoldt, Vickery and now Hampson.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

yeah at least the talk about our Rucks will stop and we can start fixing up our KPP mess!!!:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

News Welcome Shaun Hampson - Video Interview on the RFC Website 30/10/2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back