Welcome Welcome to Adelaide: James Peatling - Traded with F3, F4 for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

I was extremely surprised he chose us considering he's not an SA lad. We usually don't get these deals so it's a massive plus for our recruiting team on this one. They also weren't satisfied with a simple 2nd round pick price but they held off for some change as well.
I don't know what they intend on doing with those picks but it was a steal in the end. I predict Peatling will have a big influence on our centre clearances next year. 👍

I was extremely surprised he chose us considering he's not an SA lad. We usually don't get these deals so it's a massive plus for our recruiting team on this one. They also weren't satisfied with a simple 2nd round pick price but they held off for some change as well.
I don't know what they intend on doing with those picks but it was a steal in the end. I predict Peatling will have a big influence on our centre clearances next year. 👍
I understand that he chose us because his Mrs and Cumming's Mrs are best mates ().

The negotiation was interesting (at least for me).

We apparently offered our 2nd and 3rd for their 2nd, or 2x3rds (ours and Melbourne's), for Peatling. They wanted a 2nd outright.

We might have been leveraging them needing a better 3rd than their own to get Stringer (which ended up not being true).

Peatling was probably worth an early second.

But their negotiations were based around a 2nd being highly valuable and 3rds being worth nothing, while we were effectively saying 2x3rds = 1x2nd.

If we were both telling the truth, they got a 2nd for Peatling and gave up nothing in return, and we got Peatling for free.

It will be interesting to see what we do with those picks next year. If we swap 2x3rds for a 2nd, Peatling was free. If we could do that, but take players with the 2x3rds, then they paid us for Peatling. But if they don't pick any player after their 2nd, they got a 2nd for Peatling and gave nothing back.

That would be a perfect negotiation (including that we did in the last 10 minutes of the negotiation what we could have done in the first 10 minutes, but just took all the time alotted before doing it).

We need those picks for next year’s draft.

We need those picks for next year’s draft.

Kind of? We already had a 1st rounder and two 3rd rounders prior to the trade. Clubs don't generally pick late in the draft, so the future 4th isn't much different from just whatever our final pick would be anyway.

I'm hoping we can trade some of it away to creep up the draft order a bit earlier on. Late speculative picks are late speculative picks regardless of if they're in the 4th or 5th round.

Hello, just a question if you don't mind.
Why did you want a player that is not even worth a future 2nd round pick. If he is going to have a big influence on centre clearances, that Is probably the most important part of the game.

Why did you want a player that is not even worth a future 2nd round pick. If he is going to have a big influence on centre clearances, that Is probably the most important part of the game.
The market dictated his price. Don't come whinging here, you'll get no sympathy.

He'll have an influence because we simply don't have leg speed like Peatling. Plenty of extractor types but someone who could provide speed to the outside is something we've lacked.

Whether he becomes a full time mid is still a gamble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of? We already had a 1st rounder and two 3rd rounders prior to the trade. Clubs don't generally pick late in the draft, so the future 4th isn't much different from just whatever our final pick would be anyway.

I'm hoping we can trade some of it away to creep up the draft order a bit earlier on. Late speculative picks are late speculative picks regardless of if they're in the 4th or 5th round.

Have you seen our list of out of contracts? We should be delisting at least 4 players. 2023 and 2024 total only 5 players drafted as well.

To be honest I'd never heard of him before Crow's interest but I looked at his highlights and I think he has great potential and still only young. He might've been down the que a bit in your midfielders but I think he'll add a lot to ours.

Well we saw a guy that GWS offered a 1 year extension to that was stuck behind some of the games top midfielders that had some good exposed form late in the season and thought, he might get more opportunity with us so lets offer him a contract. We did and when it came to it, he liked our contract more than the original and revamped ones GWS put forward. Then when it came to trade value, he was OOC and GWS initial offer was a 1 year deal to a guy that was finding it hard to crack the side. A F2 we thought might be around the mark and in the end we parted with one and got back some later picks. If you compare him to Keays, we got him as a DFA and Peatling will need to impress to go past Keays as a player, a player that has really grabbed his second chance at AFL.

He never said he didn't want Peatling, not many if any has said they don't want Peatling.

Have you seen our list of out of contracts? We should be delisting at least 4 players. 2023 and 2024 total only 5 players drafted as well.

I'm assuming we'll draft 5-7 players next year.

You can't "run out" of picks. You get as many picks as you have list vacancies. Let's say we go into the draft needing to pick 5 players. Prior to the trade we would have been selecting them with a 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick. Now it would be 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th round picks instead. Not a huge difference.

By the time you get into the 4th round, most clubs have finished selecting players anyway, so any picks at that point aren't worth much more than just taking the final picks in the draft. Look at Geelong last year, for example - picked their final three players with picks 58, 61 and 63 because almost everyone else was finished picking.

You can't "run out" of picks. You get as many picks as you have list vacancies. Let's say we go into the draft needing to pick 5 players. Prior to the trade we would have been selecting them with a 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round pick. Now it would be 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th round picks instead. Not a huge difference.

By the time you get into the 4th round, most clubs have finished selecting players anyway, so any picks at that point aren't worth much more than just taking the final picks in the draft. Look at Geelong last year, for example - picked their final three players with picks 58, 61 and 63 because almost everyone else was finished picking.

I'm not sure there's much value in using 2 picks to upgrade to a second and then pick an extra at the end of the draft. Scattergun approach requires more selections in the reasonable rounds not less. Reckon we're more likely to hit a quality player with 2 third rounders compared to 1 second.

Pick 63 was 20yo Lawson Humphries. Played the last 11 games of the year for the cats, including 2 finals games. Averaged 17 disposals.

I don't have a direct source, but I understand that Geelong are reasonably happy they opened up that last list spot.

Pick 63 was 20yo Lawson Humphries. Played the last 11 games of the year for the cats, including 2 finals games. Averaged 17 disposals.

I don't have a direct source, but I understand that Geelong are reasonably happy they opened up that last list spot.

I'm all for opening up extra list spots. I'm just saying that an extra 4th round pick, as opposed to just "you can pick another player at the end of the draft" are almost identical.

I'm all for opening up extra list spots. I'm just saying that an extra 4th round pick, as opposed to just "you can pick another player at the end of the draft" are almost identical.
Sorry, I was agreeing with you.

44 picks were used in the first 2 rounds. Only 20 in rounds 3 to 6. 2 of the 5 round 6 picks have played AFL.

Those late picks come in, and are worth using.

Mitch Stevens F/S points.

Mitch Stevens F/S points.
The third rounders could be useful there. Unfortunately the 4th rounder won't be, since from next year that range of picks that attract any value at all has been shrunk down.

(Admittedly, with so many academy/F-S picks coming next year, our 4th rounder could theoretically move in far enough to be worth some points).

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Adelaide: James Peatling - Traded with F3, F4 for F2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back