Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling that he will rotate between a few roles throughout his career and even through games, a bit like Aish or maybe Switta going forward and into the middle, depending on match ups.

Which will mean his education may take a bit longer than if he just had the one position.

Bolton and Sonny are great players to learn off with his attributes.

Coops avenue to a spot in the AFL side just got a little bit harder with the acquisition of Bolton, he’s now behind all of Bolton, Switta and Frederick for the HHF/Mid role which I think is his natural fit in the team. Either he needs to embrace the small forward role (stay at home) or move to outside mid or HBF to compete for a spot.

If your argument is we should not play Simpson HBF then yes I agree with you.

But I actually think HBF is one of the areas we should be adding depth over the off season tbh.
I'm just saying it will be just as hard if not harder for Cooper to break in to the hbf position over a forward position.

Last edited:
Coops avenue to a spot in the AFL side just got a little bit harder with the acquisition of Bolton, he’s now behind all of Bolton, Switta and Frederick for the HHF/Mid role which I think is his natural fit in the team. Either he needs to embrace the small forward role (stay at home) or move to outside mid or HBF to compete for a spot.

Might be a good 7th forward option, those guys do a lot of running including high intensity.

Probably needs to beat out Banners really, which is definitely possible, maybe Sonny too.

I'm just saying it will be just as hard if not harder for Cooper to break in to the hbf position over a forward position.
Can't say I agree with this though unless we continue to play eight forwards in the best 22. He'd be a good sub too.

Wagner is the sort of player that a talented youngster could go past rather quickly. I'm not sure Frederick and Switta are.

Can't say I agree with this though unless we continue to play eight forwards in the best 22. He'd be a good sub too.

Wagner is the sort of player that a talented youngster could go past rather quickly. I'm not sure Frederick and Switta are.
Are you forgetting we were playing Emmett and Banfield forward this year?

He should also rotate half back where he could be a weapon.

Better to play HBF than not at all.

Just ask Darcy Tucker.

Are you forgetting we were playing Emmett and Banfield forward this year?

Seven forwards: Treacy, Amiss, Jackson, Sturt, Bolton, Switta, Frederick.

Banfield is bloody good depth in those HFF and/or third tall roles. If you want pressure Emmett isn’t bad depth either. Then there’s Walters for next season.

Simpson will break through if he’s good enough but there’s not no depth there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know but he looks a fair bit off it at the moment, was a fairly late pick and I think he might take some time. He is the sort of player that if he isn't demanding selection after 3 years you just cut your losses but I think if he is willing to hang around we should hang on as I think he might be a late bloomer.

Just my opinion.
He’s not off it. He’s a kid. I watched him extensively in the preseason this year and he was amazing for a draftee. He’ll be better after another preseason I guarantee it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome To Freo Cooper Simpson (pick 35 2023 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back