Debut: Round 2, 2012 v GWS Giants
Brownlow votes: N/A

Last played for North Melbourne Kangaroos in 2014
Games: 6 Born: June 19, 1992
Playing Height: 194cm Playing Weight: 91kg Position: Defender
Last Drafted: Round 4, Pick #69 2010 National Draft
Last Drafted By: North Melbourne Kangaroos

Last edited:

"Delaney was recruited by the club in the 2010 National Draft in with pick number 69. North Melbourne was not only the club that Delaney supported growing up, but also the club at which his brother, Luke, plays.[1] He made his debut in Round 2, 2012, against Greater Western Sydney.

Delaney was delisted at the conclusion of the 2014 AFL season. [2]"

Not super excited with that bio.

Wells said they'd used the rookie draft to fill holes, and they got in a ruckman and a defender, so it looks like we were on the same page as the coaching staff in identifying those needs.

EDIT:

"Delaney, 22, is contracted for 2015. He has been restricted to just six games in four years since joining the Roos, with just one in 2013 and none in 2014 as a result of an ongoing issue with his left big toe. Delaney underwent his second operation to repair the toe.

Fairfax Media understands that Delaney - now a free agent - would be likely to accept deal from another club, but that the significant medical risk attached to him could act as a deterrent.
Cameron Delaney has been cut by North."

So he was a late pick, didn't do much, and has a dicky toe. I think we found the next Matthew Scarlett!

I hope I get some serious egg on my face with this pick, but I guess 32 in the rookie draft you may as well take a punt on someone.

Appears he showed promise in VFL in 2012 and 2013, he racked up some decent possessions and took a few marks in some games - suggest he has a decent offensive side to his game:

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/116328/Cameron-DELANEY

He has had foot and toe problems....

Never seen him play, so don't have a strong view on him.

194cm key defender aged 22.5yo, fits the profile we require down back.

Good luck with him, you guys seem to like our injury prone players, if he gets a good run at it, it will be worth it in the long term. Young and atheltic too, good pick up if he gets on the park.

lol at the North board getting upset over this selection.
They did delist him. AND they passed on him in the first round.
Considering they took both Durdin and Nielson in the draft and have Hanson, Thompson, Grima and Tippett I'm not too sure why they are concerned.

lol at the North board getting upset over this selection.
They did delist him. AND they passed on him in the first round.
have every right to be. Usually a gentleman's agreement in place when you delist an injured player. Stay classy Cats.

Considering they took both Durdin and Nielson in the draft and have Hanson, Thompson, Grima and Tippett I'm not too sure why they are concerned.

I think it's more the fact that you seem to have broken the gentlemans agreement that most clubs have at this time of year with badly injured players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dreadful list management if we expected to keep him. I'd love to know if we saw that coming.

Cam was a great talent who has shown heaps in his few AFL games. Not sure how his recovery is going these days, though. He's been injured a very long time.

I think it's more the fact that you seem to have broken the gentlemans agreement that most clubs have at this time of year with badly injured players.
Fair call.

Perhaps there has been discussions between the clubs regarding him? Not too far fetched considering the coaches I'd have thought.

Norf supporter complaints aside, I'm not keen on this pick. Injury prone player to add to the other ones we have. We passed up three potential star defenders in the draft to rookie a broken down one? Wells is losing the plot.
No, we didn't.

give the club the opportunity to get the best available rookie option (that wasn't previously listed by us).

no other club picked their own previously listed players in the first round, that usually happens in the 3rd, 4th and 5th round of the rookie draft.

And you are sure that Norf were going to pick him up? I think the comment made by the club to:

"Delaney, 22, is contracted for 2015. He has been restricted to just six games in four years since joining the Roos, with just one in 2013 and none in 2014 as a result of an ongoing issue with his left big toe. Delaney underwent his second operation to repair the toe.

Fairfax Media understands that Delaney - now a free agent - would be likely to accept deal from another club, but that the significant medical risk attached to him could act as a deterrent. Cameron Delaney has been cut by North."

So perhaps the player also had had enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome to Geelong Cameron Delaney - Rookie Draft selection no. 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Back