Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

correct me if im wrong, but weren't port adelaide pretty deadset on getting rozee and duursma the 'elite' boys from adelaide?. If it wasn't us getting wingard, what makes you think someone else wouldn't have given port a pick they would've used on duursma.

Yes, in isolation we paid "overs" for wingard, but when you combine that we got Scrimshaw for pick 80 to replace burton, and got scully for pick 75 we essentially gained 1 gun wingman and 1 gun forward at the cost of picks 15, 35, 75 and 80. Doesn't sound bad when you put it that way.

I'm pretty sure that they wanted to trade down the draft order to obtain one of Lukosius or Rankine and also Rozee because they are seriously talented and also from SA.

The above mentioned is also why their list manager Jason Cripps came out and threatened Gold Coast that if they draft either of Lukosius or Rankine then they would essentially poach them in 2 years time.

I'm also pretty sure that Duursma is from Victoria mate.

Everything else in your post is bang on though!

Gotta get Chad into the midfield more each week if he is pulling up ok. We are paper thin there. Need all the grunt and class possible in there. Once our midfield starts to get up and running the fwd line will start to function.

As per Burgoyne you get these guys in to win finals and hopefully grand finals. If they perform straight away great if they don't it's only ever a matter of time before their class shines thru.

Wrong thread BUT I would just like it noted Noel Gallagher that Sydney Stack is nothing like Garlett and did not / does not have the same issues

Carry on.....

Yeh ok, but I’m not implying that stack had the same issues as Garlett. He clearly had off field issues as his talent like garletts was obvious but no one would go near him because of said issues.

My point was and still is I really wanted us to take a chance and at least rookie him like Richmond did. Kudos to the tigers, could end up with an absolute gun by taking a chance when no one else would....

Both Chad and Scully both have bad defensive habits at times. It is a lot to take on, into a team that is itself not giving 4 quarter efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a very good reason why port was so eager to off load him. Problem was they demanded a kings ransom and we paid it ! Absolutely filthy with the trade at the time and even more so now

Pull your self together sweetheart. ****s sake the bleating about this trade after a month is damn pathetic.

No doubt you'll be back singing his praises once he settles in.

We got him for another 6/7 years. Personally im pretty chuffed about that.

Bunch of spoilt bitches

He's no pea heart....he has bought in 100%

Our forward line isn't quite jelling at the moment, but when it does, Chad will get rewards.
Pardon my interruption, he is a 2x AA. In the prime of his career. Wouldn't you think other players need to do that and he is expected to fit right in and lead from the front.

Still too early to judge. But for me some really worrying signs are emerging.

1. The Chad is two and a bit season removed from that electric match-winner. There is no guarantee he gets back to it. I hope he does.

2. You don't need to be fit to fly with two hands.

3. You are seven rounds into a new club that courted you heavily. You should not be having senior players challenge you on the half-time siren.

On a side note, Burton has taken this trade personally and has been playing with far more intensity and aggression than he showed at HFC. I wish the Chad would start doing the same.

I can see him struggling to get into games and find form due to the poor delivery. I reckon he needs to be played in the middle.

Solves two problems. Gets him into the game and improves delivery inside 50.

I won't be judging his output until the second half of the season, but have a strong feeling Wingard's the wrong sort of player we need. We are desperately short on heavy lifters, whereas silky finishers though lovely to have are a luxury. Wingard is the icing but the cake is looking wobbly & full of holes.

If we were performing better we'd be getting a lot more out of him. A few years earlier it would've been an amazing trade.

Can't blame a player who is stuck in his non-preferred position, and thrives on quick ball movement, when we move the ball so painfully slow.

If he is to play deep forward then we need to move the ball quickly, so he can play on instinct. If we move it slow then he will be ineffectual.

Or play him in the midfield (when he's fit enough) and we will see what he can do.

This is exactly how it was at Port and it's not going to change here.

Can't blame a player who is stuck in his non-preferred position, and thrives on quick ball movement, when we move the ball so painfully slow.

If he is to play deep forward then we need to move the ball quickly, so he can play on instinct. If we move it slow then he will be ineffectual.

Or play him in the midfield (when he's fit enough) and we will see what he can do.

This is exactly how it was at Port and it's not going to change here.
What's with this non preffered position stuff?

He is a 2xAA BnF winning forward pocket. That's what we recruited him for and thats where he belongs

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's with this non preffered position stuff?

He is a 2xAA BnF winning forward pocket. That's what we recruited him for and thats where he belongs

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If that's what you recruited him as you shouldn't have bothered recruiting him. 2015 was a long time ago.

Chad Wingard from Rounds 1-11 last year when played up forward: 69.8 ranking points per game
Chad Wingard from Rounds 12-23 when played in the middle: 102.75 ranking points per game
Chad Wingard up to Round 7 at Hawthorn playing up forward: 65 ranking points per game.

There was a time when he was a very good forward pocket. That time has passed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Announces retirement (2 Sept 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back