List Mgmt. Welcome to Hawthorn Damon Greaves - pick 14, 2018 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Welcome to the Hawks, Damon. Hope your career is long and prosperous.

greaves.png

"Greaves played three games for Western Australia across the Under 18 carnival this year, averaging 13.3 disposals, 2.3 marks and 1.7 tackles."

Last edited:

Not sure what Peter Sumich’s eye for talent is - but here’s his take:

Damon Greaves (East Perth)
He just does his job and he’s one of the old-fashioned half-back flankers. Terrific kid, he won’t say too much, just does his job, uses the ball well and he’s a bit tougher than what people originally think. He’s really hard at the footy and he deserves a chance.

I trust that the recruiting staff saw lots of him and see something there because going by his highlights package I'm not enthused at all of his prospects. Can't work it out as we have plenty of mid defenders without speed. Looked average in every way but like I stated earlier surely the guys have seen enough to warrant our first selection over the more promising Will Golds by what I can gather.

I trust that the recruiting staff saw lots of him and see something there because going by his highlights package I'm not enthused at all of his prospects. Can't work it out as we have plenty of mid defenders without speed. Looked average in every way but like I stated earlier surely the guys have seen enough to warrant our first selection over the more promising Will Golds by what I can gather.

Given the league he played in probably wasn't a lot of footage to cut from. We have good connections at East Perth so I'm sure someone has recommended him. He was a late rookie, so we can't expect too much in any case...

Welcome to the Mighty Hawks Damon Greaves.
All I knew prior was he was expected to be selected in the 40's in the national draft.

Below is a snipet I have copied from The West Australian newspaper:

Rookie pick 14, Hawthorn - Damon Greaves (East Perth)
Age: 18 | Height: 186cm | Weight: 75kg | Position: General defender

Somewhat surprisingly wasn’t selected in the national draft, despite an impressive Under-18s campaign. Is composed, reads the play exceptionally well and boasts a thumping right boot. Also kicks the ball beautifully on his left foot and can lock down in his opponent. At the right club to realise his potential.

Good luck Damon.

When Damon Greaves was playing junior football, his dad Gavin used to offer him 50 cents for every left foot kick he attempted.

Greaves says he didn’t get rich from the motivational tool, but it has meant the half back is capable on both feet.

“I suppose it’s always been a strength, my kicking,” Greaves said.

“My left is not as strong as my right but it’s something I’ve brought into my game because I got into the habit from a young age.”

At 186cm, Greaves can play on medium and small forwards and found himself matched up on gun South Australians Izak Rankine and Connor Rozee, amongst others, during this year’s under-18s championships.

Rankine and Rozee are expected to be snapped up in the first 10 selections of the AFL national draft, which begins on November 22.
https://thewest.com.au/

Greaves, 18, knows he’ll almost certainly have to wait until the second day when every pick after the first round will be taken.

He has also had to prepare himself for the prospect that it might not happen for him at all this year.

But he doesn’t have to look far for inspiration in the form of Fremantle’s Bailey Banfield, who is a family friend from the Greaves’ time in Broome.

1541750824669_GLM1TVTLB.2-1.jpg

Camera Icon East Perth defender Damon Greaves, 18, is considered a strong chance to get drafted in November.Picture: Ian Munro
“I’ve seen what he has done and transitioned into an AFL system (after missing out the year before) and I admire and look up to him,” Greaves said. “I’ll just keep training hard, stick with East Perth, stick with my footy if I don’t get drafted.”

The self-confessed footy head has been interviewed by 11 clubs, including both WA teams.

He has closely watched the likes of Brad Sheppard and Jarrad McVeigh but takes cues from plenty of players across the league.

Being a country kid has helped Greaves on the field and off it, with the family moving around with Gavin’s job with Clontarf.

The Fremantle supporter played much of his football in Busselton before transitioning into the East Perth colts.

“It’s a bit different in the country,” Greaves said. “Sometimes you are playing two or three games on a weekend and that sort of stuff.

“I think I’d be able to deal with it (moving interstate). I’ve moved around a fair bit through my childhood. I’m building new friendships and going to new schools.

“I always dreamed of playing AFL from a young age. When I made the 18s last year, the year I had last year was probably where it did come a bit more realistic.

“It’s definitely a nervous time. An exciting time as well. Hopefully it works out and I get that opportunity.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am good with this selection. Players who can dispose of the ball very well are always worth a go, in my view. There is enough speculative selections across the AFL on athletes who are going to pick up the skills and flow of the game as they go, and we have our share. But if you think about our younger players who have really become AFL players quickly it’s those who can use the footy well - think Sicily and Hardwick in recent times.

I would like to see us push for a few taller players if possible, but this is still a good use of a pick in my view.

Sounds like a Stratton succession plan to me. I like it.

Exactly what I was thinking as I read this thread. But possibly an even better kick.

Will love to see how he goes next year in the VFL. A selection taken with 2-3 year time horizon in mind.

AFL Draft Central Power Rankings (2 weeks before draft).

#42 Damon Greaves (East Perth/Western Australia)
Another West Australian who honestly seems a little underrated for what he offers. He has only played at Colts level in the WAFL which might be a knock on him, but he consistently racks up the ball, and even at the National Under 18 Championships before injury struck, Greaves showed he has good athletic traits. He uses the ball well under pressure, executing by hand or foot. He screams a bit of Tom Doedee, not in the same comparison, but in the way that he has traits which catch the eye and Greaves could go higher than what many might think. Good value at this stage and one player we rate.

Seems determined to make the most of his chance. Got a good feeling about this kid, as he seems to very good across all key facets of football.

He’s like a Clarkson favourite just waiting to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back