Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s one of the few young players on our list that I’m not 100% sure will become the player we want him to be, yet can it be equally possible that of all our kids, I’m the most desperate to see him make it?
If he makes it. We are absolutely set.
Frost is 31.

Unlike most players in the vfl who need to add parts to their game to be promoted Denver needs to eliminate certain elements .This should be easier.Once he has done that and polishes the rest of his game he will be a very solid AFL defender.
Today was a nice step forward

Could learn a lot from Sicily (stupid anger) and frost (stupid ball use) who have both worked hard to eliminate things over the years.

Like many here I doubted him, so I went to the BHH game today. He did so many great things that aren't statistically captured & was definitely playing the role of the defensive general. He's an enigma, but he's growing on me. Definitely should play him back. He's fearless, selfless & appears to be very well regarded by his team mates. Won't get a senior game based on statistics, but to perform a role that's fit-for-purpose.

Like many here I doubted him, so I went to the BHH game today. He did so many great things that aren't statistically captured & was definitely playing the role of the defensive general. He's an enigma, but he's growing on me. Definitely should play him back. He's fearless, selfless & appears to be very well regarded by his team mates. Won't get a senior game based on statistics, but to perform a role that's fit-for-purpose.

Agreed.

He isn't lacking in confidence, at least from an external point of view.

Agreed.

He isn't lacking in confidence, at least from an external point of view.

He's a self driven individual and he knows Sam has backed him in.

Plenty of posters might have spat the dummy that he isn't a superstar yet but the brains trust have a lot of faith in him.

I'll say it again, can't just throw out a developing kpd , pick 6 at the age of 22 coming from the dreaded COVID draft without giving him the utmost chance to prove himself. The more kp's the better.
I tend to agree

He might not be the KPD we were hoping for with pick 6 but he might still be able to play a decent defensive role as a third intercepting type. He and the club may just need to be more patient than we all hoped

Fingers crossed there are no more injury set backs

Really like the below quote from this article: https://archive.is/VB5eG

Speaking about Scrimshaw, the author says "The former No. 7 draft pick is becoming the defender the club thought it was getting when it picked key back Denver Grainger Barras with the No. 6 draft pick.".

Worth bearing in mind how long it took for Scrimshaw to come on. May take the same amount of time with DGB. Worth the wait? I think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking about Scrimshaw, the author says "The former No. 7 draft pick is becoming the defender the club thought it was getting when it picked key back Denver Grainger Barras with the No. 6 draft pick.".

Worth bearing in mind how long it took for Scrimshaw to come on. May take the same amount of time with DGB. Worth the wait? I think so.
Not to sound negative but by his fourth year Scrimmers was at the very least a very solid AFL footballer (he played 20 games and average 20 disposals and 6 marks a game in his fourth year).

DGB is a fair way behind Scrimmers at the same stage of his career. Not to say he won't make it but it's hard to deny he is taking longer to hit his stride than we would have anticipated when he was drafted.

I think next year will be where we know one way or the other about DGB. I'm hoping he has a clear run with injuries for the remainder of this year and next pr season.

Denver Grainger-Barras (13 disposals, 10 marks, three score involvements)

“Denver was a little inconsistent in his contest again on the weekend, unfortunately. He had some moments where he was a bit ill-disciplined which aren’t the standards that we want to drive. Ultimately, Denver’s owned that which is great. He was able to move the ball which was good but he was just a little bit inconsistent in that space. His energy, effort and urgency were really good on the day so we’re working really hard with Denver to stay in those moments all the time. Unfortunately, his execution at times let him down. He had some really good moments but also some moments that he would like again.”

Another intriguing report.

If DGB was anywhere close to playing as well as Scrimshaw did at any time during his career at Hawthorn before this season, I would be THRILLED!

Fact is Scrimshaw was not bad, and had played a few blocks of good games, but he was not giving us his best consistently.

His lapses were costing us, and Mitchell was no longer going to tolerate it.
DGB has not even given us the bare minimum acceptable output as a senior player, and he rarely does enough to warrant a promotion from BH.

He's a self driven individual and he knows Sam has backed him in.

Plenty of posters might have spat the dummy that he isn't a superstar yet
but the brains trust have a lot of faith in him.
Legit no one is doing this

If DGB was anywhere close to playing as well as Scrimshaw did at any time during his career at Hawthorn before this season, I would be THRILLED!

Fact is Scrimshaw was not bad, and had played a few blocks of good games, but he was not giving us his best consistently.

DGB has not even given us the bare minimum acceptable output as a senior player, and he rarely does enough to warrant a promotion from BH.
Even last year when he had his issues whenever Scrimmers was dropped to the VFL he absolutely dominated and was clearly a level above VFL.

That's what we need to see from DGB this year. A clear indication that he isn't just a goodish VFL player, he needs to really stamp his impact on some games.

If Sam has set the level required with Scrimshaw to play in our seniors then I don't think he can apply a different standard to DGB.

Your last sentence is spot on.

My point is that development is rarely linear. DGB has different things to work on, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it all "click" at some stage. I feel like it's worth the investment of time and a little more $ IF Sam thinks he can get him to progress in the right direction - through the right coaching methods - like he did for Scrimshaw.

My point is that development is rarely linear. DGB has different things to work on, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it all "click" at some stage. I feel like it's worth the investment of time and a little more $ IF Sam thinks he can get him to progress in the right direction - through the right coaching methods - like he did for Scrimshaw.
I think he is a talented footballer.

I do not know why he hasn’t delivered to date. It’s baffling. He just can’t get near the ball.

Denver Grainger-Barras (13 disposals, 10 marks, three score involvements)

“Denver was a little inconsistent in his contest again on the weekend, unfortunately. He had some moments where he was a bit ill-disciplined which aren’t the standards that we want to drive. Ultimately, Denver’s owned that which is great. He was able to move the ball which was good but he was just a little bit inconsistent in that space. His energy, effort and urgency were really good on the day so we’re working really hard with Denver to stay in those moments all the time. Unfortunately, his execution at times let him down. He had some really good moments but also some moments that he would like again.”

Another intriguing report.
I wouldn't make too much of it - just saying he has plenty to work on - which was the tone of nearly all the VFL player reports this week - more focus on the negatives than the positives. Zane in a grumpy mood for some reason or other.

I wouldn't make too much of it - just saying he has plenty to work on - which was the tone of nearly all the VFL player reports this week - more focus on the negatives than the positives. Zane in a grumpy mood for some reason or other.

Zane probably trying to keep a lid on things after 2 massive wins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back