Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not true, like at all. I would suggest most are AFL ready by year 4-5 if they are going to make it as anything more than fringe guys. Obviously always exceptions but you generally know well before year 7.

Agreed, but they can definitely be slow starters.

Rance was still playing some of his games at VFL level in his third season at Richmond, and played two levels down in VFL reserves in his first year in the system. Drafted in 2007, and first AA was in 2014, so definitely still time for DGB to make it at AFL level.

However, it was Rance's fourth year in the system where he started to really break through, and with DGB in his fourth season now, is still unsighted at senior level. Hopefully he can build on his good form from the weekend and force his way into the side later in the year. I hope he makes it, but if the rest of the team continues to improve, we can always try to trade in a gun from outside the club, which will be easier to pull off as we climb a bit further up the ladder.

Agreed, but they can definitely be slow starters.

Rance was still playing some of his games at VFL level in his third season at Richmond, and played two levels down in VFL reserves in his first year in the system. Drafted in 2007, and first AA was in 2014, so definitely still time for DGB to make it at AFL level.

However, it was Rance's fourth year in the system where he started to really break through, and with DGB in his fourth season now, is still unsighted at senior level. Hopefully he can build on his good form from the weekend and force his way into the side later in the year. I hope he makes it, but if the rest of the team continues to improve, we can always try to trade in a gun from outside the club, which will be easier to pull off as we climb a bit further up the ladder.

I remember watching Rance on Schofield's podcast a few months ago.

He mentioned how he was crap (saw himself as a big bodied midfielder/running half back and Richmond were trying to turn him into a KPD) and Richmond were considering offers early on in his career.

It boiled down to a choice for us between Gibbo and Rance at the end of 09 and we chose Gibbo. We took Gibbo so Rance stayed put and the rest is history.

Imagine if we somehow got both.

I think you can look at this from a plethora of different perspectives.

Denver himself, the coaches, teammates and fans/media.

Everyone will have a different opinion on him and that’s okay, but I think it is very important to instil patience which is clearly what Zane seems to be doing with his write-up.

DGB clearly has talent, when he was drafted and early days you could see he had that no care attitude at intercepting, spoiling and putting himself on the line. It was one of his first VFL games and his positioning was incredible, someone said it reminded them of Gibbo haha. I think everyone knows his talents but it’s as much above the shoulders, as it is for Josh Ward. Trusting your own ability but going and simplifying footy. Which they seem to be doing with defense first and build from that with Denver.

I’m excited to see this build, he hasn’t made rapid improvements physically and it hasn’t translated to performance but it’s all about the effort he’s putting in. The reward will come eventually.

I remember watching Rance on Schofield's podcast a few months ago.

He mentioned how he was crap (saw himself as a big bodied midfielder/running half back and Richmond were trying to turn him into a KPD) and Richmond were considering offers early on in his career.

It boiled down to a choice for us between Gibbo and Rance at the end of 09 and we chose Gibbo. We took Gibbo so Rance stayed put and the rest is history.

Imagine if we somehow got both.

Hawthorn also picked Cyril Rioli over Rance in the 2007 national draft when both were available at pick 12. Hawthorn was looking for a small forward and a key defender in that draft but decided that the need for a small forward was slightly more pressing. Emma Quayle's book is a cracking read.

Hawthorn also picked Cyril Rioli over Rance in the 2007 national draft when both were available at pick 12. Hawthorn was looking for a small forward and a key defender in that draft but decided that the need for a small forward was slightly more pressing. Emma Quayle's book is a cracking read.
The thought of Cyril in a Richmond jumper makes want to vomit… missing out on Rance, wasn’t a deal breaker, as we eventually got Lake. If we missed out on Cyril we probably would have just been a finals side…

I think you can look at this from a plethora of different perspectives.

Denver himself, the coaches, teammates and fans/media.

Everyone will have a different opinion on him and that’s okay, but I think it is very important to instil patience which is clearly what Zane seems to be doing with his write-up.

DGB clearly has talent, when he was drafted and early days you could see he had that no care attitude at intercepting, spoiling and putting himself on the line. It was one of his first VFL games and his positioning was incredible, someone said it reminded them of Gibbo haha. I think everyone knows his talents but it’s as much above the shoulders, as it is for Josh Ward. Trusting your own ability but going and simplifying footy. Which they seem to be doing with defense first and build from that with Denver.

I’m excited to see this build, he hasn’t made rapid improvements physically and it hasn’t translated to performance but it’s all about the effort he’s putting in. The reward will come eventually.
I think the biggest mistake they made with DGB was throwing him into the seniors that first year when he was not even close to having an AFL body/tank. I don't think it did his confidence any good and was probably why he gave away so many free kicks as he couldn't match it with his opponents on any kind of physical level.

They should have taken their time and got his body right and built his game up at VFL level but I guess it's always the temptation with a top ten pick to get them playing in the seniors early.

It always interests me the different rates at which young players develop. Weddle came from the under 18s with an AFL ready body (heck an elite AFL body) and yet DGB is still striving to build one on his fourth year. Mind you Weddle is an absolute freak so I am doing DGB a disservice to compare him with him.

I think the biggest mistake they made with DGB was throwing him into the seniors that first year when he was not even close to having an AFL body/tank. I don't think it did his confidence any good and was probably why he gave away so many free kicks as he couldn't match it with his opponents on any kind of physical level.

They should have taken their time and got his body right and built his game up at VFL level but I guess it's always the temptation with a top ten pick to get them playing in the seniors early.

It always interests me the different rates at which young players develop. Weddle came from the under 18s with an AFL ready body (heck an elite AFL body) and yet DGB is still striving to build one on his fourth year. Mind you Weddle is an absolute freak so I am doing DGB a disservice to compare him with him.
First year we gave him a little taste of senior footy(5 games), where he showed some signs. Second year he continued his development with 17 games. I believe the biggest mistake was last year in our supposed ‘development year’ where we should have pumped games into like our other youngsters, instead had him languishing in the twos. Unfortunately for him he injured himself preseason, otherwise we might not be now having this discussion.

First year we gave him a little taste of senior footy(5 games), where he showed some signs. Second year he continued his development with 17 games. I believe the biggest mistake was last year in our supposed ‘development year’ where we should have pumped games into like our other youngsters, instead had him languishing in the twos. Unfortunately for him he injured himself preseason, otherwise we might not be now having this discussion.
I'd argue he got quite a few games in the seniors last year when his VFL form didn't really warrant it and he didn't set the world in fire in his senior games either.

The gap between the VFL and the AFL is as big as it's ever been and if you are struggling to make an impact in the VFL you won't be able to cut it in the AFL.

DGBs main focus right now should be to show he can dominate at the VFL level. Then he can make the next step to the AFL.

I don't think having him train as a forward for a season helped. Shades of Schoey about the handling.

I feel this was done as the club is concerned he may not make it in the AFL and rolled the dice in hope!

The two main concerns are his fitness seems no better and his average in the VFL.

If he dominate in his HBF role for the rest of this VFL season I’d give him another year personally.

I'd argue he got quite a few games in the seniors last year when his VFL form didn't really warrant it and he didn't set the world in fire in his senior games either.

The gap between the VFL and the AFL is as big as it's ever been and if you are struggling to make an impact in the VFL you won't be able to cut it in the AFL.

DGBs main focus right now should be to show he can dominate at the VFL level. Then he can make the next step to the AFL.
DGB was recalled back into the seniors in round 17 after kicking a bag of 4 the previous week for BH. He was then recalled again for round 22 after kicking 5 for BH. Which of those two performances didn’t warrant a recall? If you remember correctly we were crying out for key forwards as we only had Lewis performing and those BH performances looked quite promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel this was done as the club is concerned he may not make it in the AFL and rolled the dice in hope!

The two main concerns are his fitness seems no better and his average in the VFL.

If he dominate in his HBF role for the rest of this VFL season I’d give him another year personally.

These two don’t compute though. Forwards need even more running ability than defenders as they’ve got to be constantly making space, dummy leads, etc.

Good thing to raise. Our BH coaching must be pretty awesome for this turn around. “That shit’s unacceptable”
Box Hill off the bye always struggle. It’s a tough one for AFL players and VFL players to navigate. The club were very happy with the bounce back last weekend, especially after the AFL team won the day before, which can be tough for the boys in the VFL to then go out and back up.

Easily beat his man today. Just got to get the silly free kick/50 meter penalties out of his game.
Good signs though.
I'm confident this will come with more reward for effort.

Main difference between him and Sic is he can learn this lesson in the twos whereas Sic had to learn it in the seniors.

Building nicely. I counted 4-5 intercept marks.

Did a few dumb things and had a few clangers ball in hand but otherwise defended really well and seemed to run out the game pretty well.

Looked nice today, 10 marks, half of them intercepts. Threw himself at contests aerially and positioning was super, good defensively just a few brainfarts, ball use is good but can try to bite off too much sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back